mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Wheelset help needed.

First post here, not sure if this is the correct forum.

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade the stock wheels on the Giant Yukon FX (Giant XC Alloy, Double Wall, 32H with Formula alloy, 32H hubs.)

I am just starting to get into mtb'ing seriously, all previous bikes were no name bikes bought from big box stores, i got fed up with the low quality so I spent a bit more on this one.

Most of my riding is on the roads to and from work, but I ride local trails on the weekend, with some smaller jumps, drops, and hills..etc. I weigh around 240 fully geared and ride pretty hard being able to keep up with everybody else no problem.

The wheelset i have been looking at is from Wiggle, best deal I have found so far on these wheels.

They have Hope Pro2 hubs and Stans NO TUBE Flow rims, 32h of course. I plan on buying the steel freehub body as aluminum might not fold up for long.

rear:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro2-rear-mtb-wheel/

front:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-p...ont-mtb-wheel/

I have looked around and cannot find any weight restrictions on these wheels, only max psi of 40. Wheels are going to need to be compatible with SRAM 9 speed drive train, sealed bearings/freewheel preffered and tubes/tubeless doesn't matter.

If you've read this far, I am also looking for a seat/seatpost combo thats a bit lighter/stronger than the stock Giant Connect 30.9mm combo that came with my bike.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For the seatpost, I really like the Thomson.

Saddles are a personal choice, but I really like the WTB Pure V which you can get for about $40:

http://wheelworld.com/product/wtb-pu...ce-37280-1.htm

If you are breaking/bending saddles, you need to examine your saddles position in the seatpost clamp and/or your riding technique.
    ========================

The Hope Pro II with Flows should handle what you can dish out with the Yukon FX with ease.

The stainless freehub body is great if you plan to run cassettes that do not have the first six cogs on an aluminum spider. If you are a powerful clyde, that means you can use a good strong cassette like the Shimano CS-M580 or the Shimano HG-61 12-36t cassettes and not ruin your freehub body.

The Hope hub in front is also a good idea for how versatile it is to adapt to various axle configurations in addition to being a fine front hub.

A good choice for a step up in durability, parts are not terribly difficult to source, and the freehubs are user serviceable.

Don't worry about the 40psi limit, you shouldn't need to go over that with the width of the flow rim and a tire of 2.3" or more width (which would be best for you anyway).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I pieced out these rims form various shops and they are all more expensive than going with pre-built rims from wiggle. With free shipping on them too its a great deal.

I don't plan on doing anything to crazy, but I am going to try a few new trails this year since my uncle and cousin have both gotten new bikes.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by sascwatch
    I pieced out these rims form various shops and they are all more expensive than going with pre-built rims from wiggle. With free shipping on them too its a great deal.

I don't plan on doing anything to crazy, but I am going to try a few new trails this year since my uncle and cousin have both gotten new bikes.
    For any wheelset built with Hope Pro II hubs, I would compare pricing from CRC (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/). You'd probably get free or low cost shipping from them too.

Former Bike Wrench
    FYI-the PSI limits on Stans rims is assuming tubeless use. If your using tubes with Stans rims you can run more PSI (like on your road riding).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pretty much identical prices as wiggle for those wheels, going to read up on some other rims as there is so many choices in pre-builts.

wasn't aware you could run a tube in them, I am not too concerned about weight, and being so heavy that might be the way to go for an easier ride.

Thanks for the help, still looking for a seat if you guys have any suggestions.