Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Which Wheelset? DURABILITY

Hello all,

I am 6'1" and weigh 215 pounds in gear. I own a 2010 Giant Trance X2 and with only 180 miles, I have put some flat spots in the rims. I live in Indiana and don't have huge drops or hits to worry about, but I am an aggressive rider who will blitz any hill with gnarly roots at full speed. I love the trails with rough sections (I also ride motocross). Which wheelset have you fellow clydesdales had luck with as far as durability? I am pretty open to price. I want some wheels that last. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought Sun MTX 33's and so far so good,I come from moto x as well and I am trying to make this bike kinda like my CRF 450 with a CR 500 engine in it that I built. I love this bicycling but it is really slow.

local trails rider
    I've had good luck with my custom wheels from
    MTB Custom Wheels

Mine are:
    - Hope hubs (loud!)
    - Mavic 721 rims (wide enough for 2.4" tires but not too wide for something a bit smaller)
    - Dt Swiss spokes

I didn't check what parts they have in stock now.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former Bike Wrench
    Dents are from running your air pressure too low, so your going to want to make sure you run the correct air pressure for your weight and riding style. That said, over the years I have found that the Mavic Maxtal rims are the most dent resistant. This means the 7xx and 8xx series rims from Mavic. The EX721 is a great example of an all-around solid rim that mixes a wider profile, strength, but not too heavy. The EX823 is bomber and is full UST if you have any aspirations of running tubeless. Other suggestions include the above referenced Sun MTX33 and WTB LaserDisc FR.

Hubs wise...Hope (the bargain of the bunch), King, DT, and Hadley tend to be favored by the big guys for their freehub durability.

Spokes...go with Wheelsmith DB14 or DT Competitons for durability (butted spokes are more durable than strait gauge). If you want colored nipples, aluminum nipples are just fine...I've ran them for years with no issues on properly built wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    No experience with them, but I'm considering 36 hole DT Swiss EX500's or Stan's Flows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for all of the advice! This helps me out tremendously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm 235 and have been running a set of Mavic 721 with King hubs. 32 up front and 36 in the back. Using DT Swiss spokes. I have never had one issue with the wheel set in three years of riding. Hope this helps if you have not purchased your set.

local jackass
    265 here on a set of Mavik deetracks for over a year not a single issue yet.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am 245 RTR and am running Stans Flow rims set up tubeless on DT 240s hubs with DT double butted spokes with alloy nipples. Pretty bomber for me. I ride mostly cross country / trail with some smaller drops and jumps thrown in for fun. I love the tubeless.

DH.FR.0ne
    WTB Speedisc and Laserdisc rims are really tough and pretty lightweight. My Speedisc Downhills seem indestructable
    The freeride ones are said to be just as good.

Sun MTX33s, Mavic EX721 or Deemaxs seem to be most popular with DH riders in my area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sun mtx33's so far have been awesome. I'm 295 and just blast through anything

weekend warrior
    Sep 2006
    Syncros DS28 with a hadley hub has worked well for me

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I finally got a small dent in the rear running over a curb and not timing my jump just right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Stan's Flow with Industry 9 Enduro Hubs on mine with no issues, except they are AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Dont mean to high jack, but I waffled my stock rim on my 29. Was wondering if any one knew if the outlaw wheel set was any good its cheap and looks good to me. 5`8 weigh 190 mosty ride xc. Any infowould be great.
    Fat birds cant fly
    But they can jump rocks and roots ; )

mtbr member
    Outlaws

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    im a little heavier then you geared and i beat the hell out of my easton havocs (am, 28 spokes) still true and solid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have sun ryno lite rims with 14g spokes laced with 36 hole phil wood tandem style hubs. bin great. expensive, yes, light weight no, but the rider is shrek on a bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have had great success with both WTB laserdisc and Stans flows.

Might sound weird but I have had great luck with dmr hubs through the years, never have had a problem with them and I grind up long steep climbs that have torn apart other hubs.

mtbr member
    Hope Pro 2 on Mavic EX721 but making the switch over to Hope Pro 2 Evos on ZTR Flow 29er

The 26er set has been bombproof so far and will most likely be for sale real soon

mtbr member
    mnm567 if your still looking for wheel take a look at Spinergy Xyclone. I am 240lbs and a aggresive trail rider I bought mine in 2004 runs smooth and never had to true the wheels still as straight as when I bought them

mtbr member
    Well I did this yesterday so I'll be getting a new front wheel now.

The hub looks fine. Should I replace it anyway? It is a cheap Shimano 525.

Think I'm going to get a Laserdisc FR.

local jackass
    I wouldn't waste your time saving the cheap factory hub. I vote get the best wheels you can afford man I have mavics on my road and mountain and love them good wheels are a great investment!
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    For rims..how bout velocity?

mtbr member
    I ended up getting a good deal on Stan's Arch wheels from the local Performance Bicycles.

They will match any store that is "brick and mortar".

CS West Bikes online has the Arch's for $442, so they matched that. On Tuesdays at lunch

you get an additional 10% off of everything, so $400 for the set. Plus I'm a Performance club member so I get $40

in credit to spend at the store. Just waiting on my UST tires to come in now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast