mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Wheelset - Deore M590 / Velocity Blunt

Replacing my broken 26 with a 29er build. Went over everything at the LBS but wanted some Clyde approval before they start the build

Carrying over drivetrain, etc. basically adding a 24" Surly Ogre frame and a custom wheelset consisting of Deore M590 36 hole hubs, DT Swiss pro spokes and velocity blunt rims.

At 6'8" / 275 lbs I destroy a lot of stuff, thus the move to a steel frame. But what about the wheelset, will it be sufficient to survive my next strava challenge?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    More road/gravel duty or mainly singletrack duty? I'd stay away from Shimano rear hubs, cheap and weak. Blunt I think will be a good choice. Make sure you use the DT Swiss Comp spokes (double butt) and not the champion straight gauge spokes.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    +1 that. If you do go Shimano, make sure you keep that freehub clean and engaging properly, seems like the engagement goes to crap once there is crap in it.

If you have the budget, there are a some good triple butted 13/15/14 spokes out there too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Seemed the price gap between hubs was a little preventative at least where I live. I've ran the old shimano LX hubs for years with no issue. So far I haven't had any hub issues ever, so I went with the Deore front and back. Thanks for the tip on the spokes. The LBS was all ready to do straight gauge. Switched it over to the Comp double butted.

Black everything including hubs spokes and rims. Looks pretty sick IMO. Coolest looking do-all I've ever owned. Living on the west coast having the ability to add proper fenders is desirable! The plastic clip on mountain fenders are just terrible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheelset - Deore M590 / Velocity Blunt-new-surly-ogre-0813.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I weigh about the same as you and destroyed a Blunt SL in 2500kms on my CX bike with only about 500 of that on dirt.

I then went for a P35 and that lasted 1700kms.

In contrast my 2009 XT wheels with 24 spokes are still going strong after 3000kms of abuse on my AM bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well here's hoping my experience differs! I got the blunt, the SL is the lighter, racier version. They looked plenty beefy to me. I ride 150km a week so I'll post back in 3 months if stuff starts falling apart.

Chris Bling
    So how have they held up for you Graham77?
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

turtles make me hot
    I may be wrong, but isn't the Shimano M529 stronger than Deore and XT?
    I've built a bunch of 29er and fat wheels with the 529 and had zero issues.
    I like turtles