Thread: Wheelset

mtbr member

Wheelset

I'm looking to buy a new budget wheelset as the stock set on my Hardrock 29er doesn't have much time left according to my lbs. I've been breaking spokes like crazy and my rear wheel is bent up a little. I'm considering this wheelset as they would be an upgrade from stock. I'm 235 lbs and dropping I would love CK's/Hopes/Hadley and the likes, but I don't have that kind of dough to invest. Does anyone have any experience with them. I've heard good things about the WTB I19/23 rim, and I've read that the XT hub isn't anything to write home about but spins well. I'm not worried about the cup and cone as I know how to service/adjust them. The price point is spot on in my budget and may leave me a little room to go tubeless, too much more will get me into some trouble with the Mrs. Thanks.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT Hub 6 Bolt | eBay
    Last edited by Jonbread; 01-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was about to ask a very similar question, so I'll combine mine with yours.

Cost for these wheels and the hub qualitys are relatively comparable, so I wanted to get some other clyde input into the rims. Checking if anybody has ridden these, likes them, or has horror stories. Looking at rim comparisons between the SunRingle SR25, WTB FX28, and MTX33. From a clyde standpoint, the MTX33 is the beefiest, but it's also the heaviest. I'm ~240 and currently ride a 29er hardtail with WTB speeddisc rims on Formula hubs. Mostly XC with some rocks/roots/<2' drops. Hate the hubs though. On another bike, I bent the axle (still need to replace it), and on another one the freehub makes grinding sounds while coasting(main reason I'm looking at a new wheelset). Some of the reviews of the deore hub say it's tears up the bearings/race, but at least I can find parts on it. Not too many reviews on the SRAM hub, but it falls into the same "I can actually find parts" boat.
    I'll end up getting them as a wheelset, but only linked one wheel. A lot of the online bike parts stores carry these for similar prices, so I don't have any store loyalty.

Dimension SRAM 406, Sun SR25 Front Disc Wheel in Tree Fort Bikes Wheels (cat85)
    Dimension SRAM 406, WTB FX28 Rear Disc Wheel in Tree Fort Bikes Wheels (cat85)
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano Deore M525 29er Disc Wheelset w/ Sun MTX 33 Rims

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ;alsjfd

mtbr member
    I bought my Stans flow wheelset for like 300$.. and I love it. and it holds up to my 230lbs geared up.
    Wheelset-20131222_161344_zps9b0e8c23.jpg
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonbread View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new budget wheelset as the stock set on my Hardrock 29er doesn't have much time left according to my lbs. I've been breaking spokes like crazy and my rear wheel is bent up a little. I'm considering this wheelset as they would be an upgrade from stock. I'm 235 lbs and dropping I would love CK's/Hopes/Hadley and the likes, but I don't have that kind of dough to invest. Does anyone have any experience with them. I've heard good things about the WTB I19/23 rim, and I've read that the XT hub isn't anything to write home about but spins well. I'm not worried about the cup and cone as I know how to service/adjust them. The price point is spot on in my budget and may leave me a little room to go tubeless, too much more will get me into some trouble with the Mrs. Thanks.

WTB Frequency I23 29er Tubeless Mountain Bike Wheelset Shimano XT Hub 6 Bolt | eBay
    If the rims are the WT69 alloy then they are solid rims and very easy to run tubeless with TR tires. The early 7000 series rims were fragile so make sure they are the WT69 alloy.

XT hubs have one Achilles Heel for large riders. The freehub body struggles to hold up to heavy riders who pedal hard. I've never had much of an issue but I'm more of a sit and spin rider, not a stand and grind.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Found a wheelset with Shimano M529 hubs (SLX?) that it says is designed for the high torque from large ring cassettes, but I didn't see if it used steel or alloy for the freehub. Always concerned with alloy freehubs, even with a good cassete, because of how hard we pedal. I'm starting to seriously contemplate getting the Dimension SRAM406/SR25 wheelset, and keep an eye out for a good deal later on. Even if it's not that good, it's still better than my formula hubs and no-name rims.

mtbr member
    The M529 hub uses a high torque STEEL freehub body, it's probably the strongest in Shimano's lineup.

Sram 406 hubs and SR25 rims are serious low rent...the M529 hubs are better, especially if you can get them on a TCS rim.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks like I jumped the gun then. Bought the SRAM 406/SR25 rims Monday night. At least they were only $105 shipped. Still better than what I've got on my hybrid bike, and they'll mostly be used for gravel anyway.

mtbr member
    the wheels are made of the WT69 alloy. Good to know wabout the different alloys. I've heard about the XT freehub giving under high torque, it worries me some but I am also a more of a sit and spin rider as well.

mtbr member
    where'd you find that steal of a deal on the stans set?!
    Last edited by Jonbread; 01-22-2014 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I've been considering going rigid on too, would a 23mm(inside the rim) wheel do the trick? I know a wide, high volume tire up front would help. My hands and wrists are pretty screwed from working hard labor jobs when I was younger. I rode with the fork locked out this evening and enjoyed the "feel" of the trail....until I decided to see the difference and opened up my fork after my fingershad enogh of feeling the trail.

mtbr member
    where'd you find that steal of a deal on the stans set?!
    Ebay man.. was hunting on ebay for a few weeks before I saw this listing from a guy that only rode em for one season and they looked super clean! There are good deals out there if you're patient and vigilant
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    the wheels are made of the WT69 alloy. Good to know wabout the different alloys. I've heard about the XT freehub giving under high torque, it worries me some but I am also a more of a sit and spin rider as well.
    How do you find out? If ordered directly from WTB, would it be safe to assume that they are the WT69 alloy? I mean I'd ask to make sure...just wondering how to tell otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    How do you find out? If ordered directly from WTB, would it be safe to assume that they are the WT69 alloy? I mean I'd ask to make sure...just wondering how to tell otherwise.
    I think it says 7000 series on the sticker of at least some of them, and IIRC, the newer ones have some info on the sticker that state they are 6xxx series.

Check out the pic on post #32:

WTB Frequency i23 rim cracks????

mtbr member
    I noticed that the KOM i25 specifically says they are WT69 alloy but the Team Frequency does not. I can get 45% off the price of a lot of the WTB stuff and I want to build up a set of wide tubeless wheels so I was interested in these. I figured for $45 a rim...they would be hard to beat pricewise, if they'll work for me and my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.