Ornery Malcontent
    Mar 2006

Wheel suggestions for a big fat man!

Okay guys , As I've said in previous threads, I'm back on the bikes now after some SERIOUS weight gain. I'm up to 285 pounds and, while I'm not having a problem with my road bike (those Bontrager selects are some strong wheels), the wheels on my mountain bike are flexing so bad that the rims are hitting the brake pads every time I turn, in addition, they ain't sounding too good. I still have the stock Ritchey wheelset on my bike.

Are there any stronger wheels that I can buy without too much of a cash outlay? What are your suggestions? Thanks.
    Some people are like slinkies...kinda useless, but its fun to watch them tumble down stairs.

Frequent Crasher
    My advice to you is to contact Mike@ oddsandendos.com and talk to him on the phone. He is a great guy and can probably hook you up. If I was you I would use the Wheelsmith single butted DH spokes or straight gauge spokes. You want strength and durability not gram counting. The first set I bought from Mike he went out of his way to talk me into spending less on a hub he had better experiences with over the more expensive one I originally wanted.
    FWIW That set was a woodman rear and Velocity 20mm front hub along with DH spokes and singletrack rims. Aside from replacing a bearing in the cassette, I have done nothing to these wheels. I talked to him a half hour ago and my rims had arrived for my new wheelset, so I should have them on Wednesday Urban Camo MTX rims laced to gun metal Hope Hubs, Pro 2 20mm front and Bulb 12mm thru rear, Dh spokes and brass nipples. They should be very very sturdy. I am very excited.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    I have a set of Mavic 219's that have gone through a lot with me and some very aggressive riding w/o a problem, also have a set of Bontrager Rac Lite Disc TL Rims that have no problems but I have less ride time on these. The Mavic's are tough.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gordo
    Are there any stronger wheels that I can buy without too much of a cash outlay? What are your suggestions? Thanks.
    How about the Salsa "Gordo" rim?

http://www.salsacycles.com/comps_rims.html

Seriously, though, the mechanic at my LBS recommended this rim (w/ 36 spokes) built up with Shimano Deore hubs for a cheap and strong wheel for a Clyde.

Patrick

mtbr member
    I'm about your size. I picked up a set of wheels, Shimano XT hubs with Sun Rhinolyte rims In the middle of summer last yeat. They were relatively cheap (around $180 for the set) and I've only had to true them once since I put them on.

-Badger

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gordo
    (those Bontrager selects are some strong wheels).

+1 I'm over 300lbs and have put 500+miles on those w/o a problem

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Based on my experience with them, I am hesitant to recommed XT hubs for someone who's 300 lbs. I'm right around 250 lbs and I've had three of them fail on me over the last several years. What has happened is that the pawl carrier unit in the freehub body cracks right where the main bearing cup screws onto it. This threaded area on pawl carrier is directly subjected to the load placed on the hub. Not exactly a great design to support heavier loads in my opinion.

If you're mechanically inclined, it's easy to replace the freehub body with another. The trouble is that a replacement freewheel body is about as expensive as a new hub purchased at online retailer prices. You might as well buy a new hub to use for parts if this happens.

Shimano hubs are a great value but I've I've gotten tired of repairing them so I switched to Hope Bulb and Chris King freehubs for the latest two sets of wheels I've built.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    check out the other thread....DT Swiss 5.1s or even 6.1s would be great rims, $80-90/rim.
    The buck$$ will be flowing for the hubs.....

FYI, check out the forum search feature as well.
    Pretty much a wheelset thread on every page....

Save up and buy smart...Light, Strong, Cheap......pick 2.

Pain is a way of life
    In over 200lbs and love my Mavic 729's laced on Sun Ringle Abbah Hubs with DT Swiss spokes...