Thread: Wheel question?

mtbr member

Wheel question?

I have a question about wheels, I seem to be breaking spokes on my rear Mavic 117 32 hole wheel. I'm 225lbs riding a Fetish hardtail and the rear wheel is laced 2 cross. I was wondering if I had the rim re-laced 3 or 4 cross would it be stronger and less prone to breaking spokes? I also am thinking about replacing the rear wheel, should I go with a 36 hole wheel or can I save money(which is in short supply at this time) and re-lace my stock wheel? I mostly ride cross country and my wheels leave the ground only by accident in most cases, any suggestions?

Probably drunk right now

Go to...

Quote Originally Posted by zuk88
    I have a question about wheels, I seem to be breaking spokes on my rear Mavic 117 32 hole wheel. I'm 225lbs riding a Fetish hardtail and the rear wheel is laced 2 cross. I was wondering if I had the rim re-laced 3 or 4 cross would it be stronger and less prone to breaking spokes? I also am thinking about replacing the rear wheel, should I go with a 36 hole wheel or can I save money(which is in short supply at this time) and re-lace my stock wheel? I mostly ride cross country and my wheels leave the ground only by accident in most cases, any suggestions?
    Go to wheels and tires and page Shiggy. He'll have the answers that you seek.

Ken