mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Whats up guys! Upgrading question

I've been lurking around here since I got a bike for christmas (bought it for myself) after not riding and having a desk job for about 10 years.

I'm probably one of the heavier clydes around here, and i absolutely love my Raleigh Talus. I'm starting to get bored riding the bike trails and being to worried about jumping my bike (ive taken it off drops and roll offs) and its held together pretty well.

Needless to say, i've got the upgrade itch. I was looking to buy a manitou tower mainly because of the tuning options, and the excellent reviews you guys have put on here.

But my main question is, the 3x9 setup just seems un-necessary. Way to much overlap for gearing. Now i've destroyed my bottom bracket (pulled it out after it started clicking in the same crank position consistently and its toast). Do i need a new front derailuer if i switch to a 2x10 setup? For a rear derailuer would I need to switch from a long cage to medium cage? I've heard the SLX cranksets are great but will they hold up to my weight?

Note: i'm budget conscious, but at this point upgrading the bike seems to be the better route to go than saving for a new bike. Especially from what I can tell ill be able to bring everything over except the fork when i finally decide to pull the trigger and buy a paradox.

ALSO A BIG THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR GIVING ME MOTIVATION TO GO OUT AND RIDE AGAIN. if i never found this specific part of the forum id have never started riding again. And i think its funny when people get mad that someone my size is riding.

mtbr member
    You would not need to switch the front derailleur for 2x10, as the only difference upfront is the chain width. You will just need to adjust the stops, same as if you went to a 3x9 to removing big ring and adding bash guard. Long cage rear is meant to accommodate all gears in a 3x9. As a 2x10 will need less chain to accommidate all gear range, a shorter rear will be better. Most likely a medium. That does need to be 10 speed specific though.
    Shock? I love my Fox Talas 36. But whatever you get, definitely get adjustable. Makes a difference climbing. I personally don't know anything about the one you mentioned. Hope some of this was helpful.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Agree with above statement. I just made the same adjustments on a friends bike last week. For cranks, the shimano slx is bulletproof. For the money, you're not going to find anything stronger. I saw them on sale somewhere in the hot deals for screaming price. Their bottom brackets are cheap, and have a fair lifetime for the price.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You can go 2x9 simply by removing the big ring and cranking down the high-limit screw on the front derailleur, all the way clockwise(screw closest to seat tube). Make sure you do this with chain at the smallest, granny ring at front.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Upgrade what you need to when you need to do it. If you haven't got money sloshing around that isn't needed, you really won't get anything out of upgrading something as small as 3 x 9 to 2 x 10 or something. You've not said how heavy you are, but you'll gain nothing from upgrading the gears. Get a new bottom bracket, ride it until something else breaks, then upgrade that part to something more robust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't mind spending the money, my main concern is making sure what i do spend it on is transferable to a new frame. Ill keep my raliegh when i finally do upgrade so that when my friends come to town they will have something to ride (we are all about 6'4 and range from 160-425 lbs). The friends near by already have full suspension bikes.

I'll go ahead and order the slx crankset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Whats up guys! Upgrading question

Also don't forget, even though you don't need a new front derailleur, you will need a new cassette, rear derailleur, chain, and rear shifter to go from 3x9 to 2x10. That's a lot of changes for not a ton of an upgrade. May be better waiting until the new sram 1x11 comes down in price. Pretty expensive now, but who knows what the future holds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So little point in buying all the upgrades for the current bike if you want to keep the current bike for friends visiting.

You'd be better off riding it and saving the pennies for the new bike. You tend to get far more bang for your buck buying a complete bike, so you will probably get far more VFM. Even if you plan to do a build you want 100% of the old bike anyway so a lot of effort to swap stuff twice. But heck - you seem to really want to upgrade the bit that least needs upgrading anyway.