Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009

Whats chains are you not breaking?

I want to know what chains people are using and not breaking? I have broken every chain that I have used so far whether its Shimano or Sram. I Pedal w/ tremendous force so I am looking to see what people find is working best for them.

Keep in mind I am currently 235lbs but have had this problem even when I was 195 pounds.

Lets see what people are using w/ success.

I am currently running another Sram 971.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

Former Bike Wrench
    Shimano CN7701 with SRAM Powerlink

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have a try of Connex Whipperman chain.

Whenever I've had a chain break its been because I've forced a shift under load or been using incorrect chain line. The chain has never broken for no reason

Old Skool Dirt Bag
    Oct 2004
    They always break at the "snap on link", stop using them and peen your chain together. I no longer break chains now that I peen them together. You can do it easily with a small ball peen hammer and another hammer, just be careful. Use your chain breaker to cock the links to make sure they float free, every chain breaker has it built in.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    pc 991 hollow pin and a xtr chain are working well for myself. i actually have not broken a chain in quite some time now. i use to break them all the time. i replace them more often now as well

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    "Have a try of Connex Whipperman chain."
    I've seen these online but havent heard enough about them and how is the compatibility w/ Sram?

"Whenever I've had a chain break its been because I've forced a shift under load or been using incorrect chain line."
    My Chain lines are correct and have been always. It doesnt seem to matter what or whos bike Im on either. I just have a very powerful stroke and tend to break the most chains when I get up and sprint. I've only broken 2 chains under a shifting load and man have my shins paid the price! LOL.

"They always break at the "snap on link", stop using them and peen your chain together."
    I've never broken a chain at the snap link. and it doesnt matter if I use a non snap link chain or not.

"pc 991 hollow pin and a xtr chain are working well for myself."
    I've been contemplating using another xtr chain as it lasted the longest so far. I just hesitate using one because of the price.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had great luck with the Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace CN-7701 chain. Performance Bike often has them on sale (currently on sale for $30).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I've had great luck with the Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace CN-7701 chain. Performance Bike often has them on sale (currently on sale for $30).
    255 lb., 6'4". Second this. My bike never before shifted as well as it does with XTR chain. I liked taking off the PC971 to clean it thoroughly, but I'm not going back. They are on sale often enough to just watch for it and buy your next one when it's cheap, not when you need it.