mtbr member
    Feb 2010

What'cha wear'n, shorts ?? bibs ??

I need to buy some duds to wear while ride'n, something that is more bicycle rider friendly than just plain old shorts.
    been read'n up & baggys sound about right but have read several post from riders who swear by bibs and have to say I'm dig'n the thought of not have'n to pull up my pants (I suffer from noassatol).

Whats your experience with different ride'n shorts or bibs ??

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am 6'3", 245lbs....I have bibs and baggy shorts. If you do a bib, you can wear it over or under shirt and not have any issues. If you do baggy sorts, that can be a bit tricky....some baggy shorts come with a drawstring and that really helps to keep them in place. Some have no drawstring and you have to get the correct fit to have the shorts stay in place, or they require a belt, which is not bad for folks that do not mind wearing one because they look like regular shorts.

For you first cycling clothes, go try on everything, DO NOT ORDER ON-LINE!!!! Cycling clothes for Clydes is a tricky thing and different designers have different sizing measurements. One clothes maker could fit you well and another maker will seem to make all the clothes for folks that are 6'3" 165 pounds.

Good luck because cycling clothes shopping for a Clyde's physique is an adventure.

mtbr member
    I wear a bunch of different combos. I'm 6', 245#. It pretty much depends what I'm doing. A lot of my rides are shuttled downhills or whatever where I'm spending more time pushing up hills and standing on the pedals than sitting on the seat, so shorts don't matter as much. I have some chamois "liner" shorts that I wear under athletic or hiking shorts for these duties -- I'm not talking about super baggy bball shorts, but just mesh athletic shorts available at Target or Sports Authority. I have a couple of "real" pairs of mtb baggies that have undershorts sewn in to them that are ok, but I honestly find the liner and athletic short combo to be just as or more comfortable (and a lot cheaper).

For a long ride where I'm going to be in the seat pedaling a lot I wear a pair of my roadie bibs, which are by far the most comfortable option if I'm going to spend some time in the saddle; on a rough or rocky ride, I'll probably wear a pair of athletic shorts over the top, as I don't want to tear the thin fabric of the lycra shorts and show off too much to the world! Bibs are great -- they don't fall down, stay put all the time, no waist band to cut into you, and usually have pretty good chamois to help with issues. On a couple pair, I need to wear a sleeveless compression baselayer under the bib straps to prevent the straps from chafing, particularly due to how my pack straps and bib straps interact, but it is no big deal. I've had good luck with mid-priced PI, Cannondale, and Performance bibs in XL size.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Bibs, bibs, bibs...with unlined baggies over them. Once I stopped using padded shorts and went to bibs, I will never go back.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks guys, looks like bibs are the crowd fave, mite have to try me a pair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    +1 on the whole bib thing!

The only time bibs are a pain is when you've got all your winter gear on and you've gotta take a leak! lol You pretty much have to strip down! Kinda tough to be inconspicuous when you're half naked and watering the vegetation...
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SasquatchSC View Post
    +1 on the whole bib thing!

The only time bibs are a pain is when you've got all your winter gear on and you've gotta take a leak! lol You pretty much have to strip down! Kinda tough to be inconspicuous when you're half naked and watering the vegetation...
    Very true....LOLOLOL!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What'cha wear'n, shorts ?? bibs ??

Bibs are the only way to go.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Completely agree that sizing suck specially for those us that are bigger and that means tall and width wise also.
    I am 6 ' 7" - 235# with long arms.
    The Size difference between company's is insane.
    One company I can fit a XL and another I have to order a triple XL.......and everything in between???
    Luckily for me, it was a club order and I was able to check out samples to find these issues out before I ordered!!
    If you can get measurements before ordering helps.

And I like both bibs and padded lycra short with over short for protection when I go off road.
    Can't go wrong with bibs!!