mtbr member

New question here. What Is Your View of a Clyde?

Just curious what your view of a Clyde is. Everyone I ride with is a Clyde, some of us have been living on our rigs for ten years just traveling around. We are all is very good condition and tug a house.

The smallest person I ride with is about 245 standing only at 6'4", from the looks of her I do not think she has any body fat.

The biggest rider we have out of 31 of us is 6'11" at 340 pounds.

Most of us average around 6'7" or 6'8", we all ride hard and lift weights, swim, climb.... Not one of us is fat though. I stand at 270 pounds at 6'7" under 5% BF.

The reason I ask is because I keep seeing on here cracks about how Clydes are fat, weak, slow, out of shape and so on. What is that, I can not recall ever seeing a fat Clyde on a rig. So why the painted picture?

When I was in the SF we always had the same issues from the Dive Teams, those tiny littles fellas would call us Knuckle Dragger's. We never commented on the fact that we would hump twice as hard, twice as far and fight ten times harder than some tiny fella that looks like he put on his brother fatigues playing Special Forces.

Just seems odd to me really that folks paint this picture about others who **** bigger than them.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member

What Is Your View of a Clyde?

I hear you. I'm 6ft 325. You know people seem to believe in stereotypes . If your heavy then your not only fat but your lazy and you have a slovenly character as well. I have found most people who berate us Clyde's to be narrow minded pin heads. Anything out of the norm for them is unthinkable. It's just as bad as judging someone because of the skin color. Now for myself I suffered from a brain tumor that caused enormous weight gain. I'm healthy and in great shape considering. You know out on the trail I've heard a snide remark or two and they always seem to whistle another tune when I dismount and call them on it. I tend to think that being a Clyde is a good thing. You should do a search here on " the Clydesdale Glossery"
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Geez at 5'8" 245 im just a wittle guy compared to yall tall dudes. Sterotypes honestly dont bug me. Hell i even use one in my username.

Ive been into bodybuilding for years so Ive overheard or been called everything under the sun. I believe its mostly peoples own insecurity's is why they judge others. Weither it be big guys or gals, small or whatever.

mtbr member

What Is Your View of a Clyde?

I would say a Clyde would be anyone reasonably above average, be it weight, height, or both.

I was a paramedic for years before a severe back injury called for a change of jobs. I lost my constant access to weights and other gym activities, as well as the ability to do those things for some time.

I think the best thing for Clydes to do in a situation in which they're being degraded and disrespected is to sternly, but respectfully correct the aggressor. If that doesn't work, a good southern attitude adjustment may be in order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pat them on the a$$ as you blow by on the descent. Little guys climb fast but become noisy speedbumps when the route tips down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Just seems odd to me really that folks paint this picture about others who **** bigger than them.
    So what? Some people say bad things about other people because of their skin/eye/hair colour. Some people say bad things about people because they have/don't have a dick/*****/foreskin/glasses/hair/teeth/guns/imaginary friends. It matters not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah man. I've been on this forum for a couple of years now and I feel like there's 2 types of guys on here. There's the guys who have put on a lot of weight and want to lose it, which is awesome. And there's the guys like you and I who are just big ass dudes who like to ride and ride a lot. I've been working with a trainer for a few months now and doing a lot of kettle bell work to balance out my upper body with my lower (32" thighs here, no joke, and not much fat on them anymore. 42" waist) and at 6'5" he and I both agree I should be around 290-300. At that weight I would be really really healthy. Granted I'm now at 330, but about all I have to lose is my gut. I just did a weekend ride trip with my skinny friends and I managed to cover 27 miles with close to 4500ft of climbing in 2 days. Not too bad.

I find that most of the snide comments about my size on here comes from as$hole girly men who I could crush with my little finger. I mean those people are everywhere. And it tends to come more when I post in other forums. Like I posted in the suspension forum once and got a lot of negative comments. A lot of assuming going on.

Your posse sounds like a group of people I'd like to roll with. It's be crazy to see that many big people riding together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Most of us average around 6'7" or 6'8", we all ride hard and lift weights, swim, climb.... Not one of us is fat though. I stand at 270 pounds at 6'7" under 5% BF.
    Pics of you at 6'7" 270lbs and sub-5% body fat? You realize that's like bodybuilder in contest shape, right?

I got more steroid comments than I knew what to do with when I was 6'6" 260 and like 12% so I'm curious what 20lbs more with less than half the fat looks like.

But to answer your question I'm right there with you... I got it when I was more into weight lifting and I get it now. When you're taller/heavier you have to exert more energy and are at an inherent disadvantage because your center of gravity is higher. You have to move the weight further, pull more weight climbing up a hill, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    A Clyde is anyone over 190lbs on a bicycle......a tall rider is anyone over 6'1".....

Those are guess-a-mite numbers.....DO NOT think these numbers are FACT!!!! They are not!!!!! Back in the day when I rode road bike, I was riding a Klein at 6'3" 245lbs, but I had a 32" waist and was in shape....everyone I rode with was 190lbs and below. Several folks were over 6'1" so we were taller than most we saw, but most were under 6'1". BTW....I was in my 20's back then....

Now that I am over 45 years old, myself and everyone around me has swollen up and most are over 200lbs.....

Therefore, being a Clyde is a matter of perspective, and for me.....

over 190lbs or over 6'1" qualify's as a Clyde....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=Alias530;10744208]Pics of you at 6'7" 270lbs and sub-5% body fat? You realize that's like bodybuilder in contest shape, right?

I got more steroid comments than I knew what to do with when I was 6'6" 260 and like 12% so I'm curious what 20lbs more with less than half the fat looks like.

Now that you mention it Alias, yeah, I'm wondering what that looks like myself? That's like WWF wrestler size, or body builder, because even NFL linemen don't have that low of body fat. When I was in my mid 20's and 250-260 I was pretty damn "skinny" (although no steroid comments).

Also, what kind of bikes are these huge guys (and gal) riding? I ride a lot and have built 2 burly bikes that work for me, but if I was in that good of shape I think I'd be pushing it quite a bit harder than I do now and there's not a whole lot of bikes out there that will take that kind of abuse for too long.

AZ
    banned
    You know if you are a Clyde. You also know if you are fat, I know it and you know it. If you're happy with your current condition then good for you, if you're not stop making excuses and steering the conversation towards what is PC and do something about it. It's simple, you know that too. With the abundance of resources available to educate ourselves there is only fear of the unknown and our lack of common sense that stands between us and success. Carry on with the great works but be unrelenting in the pursuit of your vision of success.

Slay the Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    Yeah man. I've been on this forum for a couple of years now and I feel like there's 2 types of guys on here. There's the guys who have put on a lot of weight and want to lose it, which is awesome. And there's the guys like you and I who are just big ass dudes who like to ride and ride a lot. I've been working with a trainer for a few months now and doing a lot of kettle bell work to balance out my upper body with my lower (32" thighs here, no joke, and not much fat on them anymore. 42" waist) and at 6'5" he and I both agree I should be around 290-300. At that weight I would be really really healthy. Granted I'm now at 330, but about all I have to lose is my gut. I just did a weekend ride trip with my skinny friends and I managed to cover 27 miles with close to 4500ft of climbing in 2 days. Not too bad.

I find that most of the snide comments about my size on here comes from as$hole girly men who I could crush with my little finger. I mean those people are everywhere. And it tends to come more when I post in other forums. Like I posted in the suspension forum once and got a lot of negative comments. A lot of assuming going on.

Your posse sounds like a group of people I'd like to roll with. It's be crazy to see that many big people riding together.
    ^^^All of this post^^^ ...and more
    Maybe (fortunately) I am isolated from the little weight weenie pricks I read about, because I'm not coming across those kind of guys much. (or they aren't saying anything, which is to their benefit )

I'm a Clyde (6'2, 225 lbs), ALL of my buddies who I ride with (mtn and road) are Clydes, and we are just fine. I believe it's an attitude thing too....kind of like when we see older guys out there....they might be slower, they might have weird/strange equipment, they might do things differently, but they are doing it...

Clydes are doing it, and you can go hang ...

Always Learning
    Just curious what your view of a Clyde is. Everyone I ride with is a Clyde, some of us have been living on our rigs for ten years just traveling around. We are all is very good condition and tug a house.

The smallest person I ride with is about 245 standing only at 6'4", from the looks of her I do not think she has any body fat.

The biggest rider we have out of 31 of us is 6'11" at 340 pounds.

The reason I ask is because I keep seeing on here cracks about how Clydes are fat, weak, slow, out of shape and so on. What is that, I can not recall ever seeing a fat Clyde on a rig. So why the painted picture?

When I was in the SF we always had the same issues from the Dive Teams, those tiny littles fellas would call us Knuckle Dragger's. We never commented on the fact that we would hump twice as hard, twice as far and fight ten times harder than some tiny fella that looks like he put on his brother fatigues playing Special Forces.

Official status in terms of athletes participating in cycling/triathlons/running used to be 200 pounds for men and 150 pounds for women (Athena's). That was changed at the end of 2012 for a male to be 220 pounds and for a female to be 165 pounds by USAT starting with the 2013 season. I'm not sure what the weight numbers are for the Super-Clyde/Super-Athena categories.

In terms of a Clyde, it has nothing to do with "fat", but more to do with the weight and creating a category for those big and tall to compete with each other. Most mountain biking events still have retained the weigh-in weight for a Clyde to be 200 pounds in your cycling gear in order to compete in that category.

That being said, the nation's tallest QB in Arizona (who happens to also be one of the top power forward recruits for college basketball) is 6'10" and weighs 205 pounds. A "Clyde" for mountain biking, but certainly far from fat by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't worry about the connotations others may label it - especially if one's height is beyond the "average" which for males in the U.S. is...

Tall Chart

It will, however, have an impact on one's cycling equipment as many weight weenie parts have weight limits (pedals, saddles, bars, wheels, etc...). Choosing gear that will support one's cycling weight for a combination of durability and performance would be prudent.

I noticed in the Minnesota MT.BIKE race series this summer some racers in the Clyde class that were tall, muscular, in phenomenal shape and were racing in that category simply based on their height combined with the weight of being tall and muscular which is the only thing that qualified them to be there. Not fat at all and they were very powerful racers for sure. The law of weight and climbing being the only detriment which is one of the reasons the Clyde category exists.

Coggan's power to weight ratio chart covers that better than anything else.

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Clydesdale is a horse that is taller than other horses and generally weighs a bit more as well. They are not just "fat horses".

Clydesdale cyclists (in my opinion) must be statistically in the higher range of humans and will generally weigh more as a consequence. So, I'd say 2-sigma and higher, or about 6'4" range and taller.

I'm 6'5" and weigh 235lb-- down from 6'5" and 265 earlier this year. I've gone from being an Obese Clyde with low cardio health to a Clyde who's still got weight to lose but is in pretty damn good cardio shape.

Just being obese is another matter. If you're 5'8" and very overweight, then you're an Obese cyclist, not necessarily a Clydesdale.

However, whether you are a Clyde or Chubby or Obese, there's a lot of commonality we share in this forum. We all need bikes that can handle additional weight, and us true Clydes also have the geometry and fit concerns of a taller rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    well just my 2 cents ...lol...when I hear clyde I immediately think of how much bigger & stronger they are to avg horses .....so when I come to the clyde section for advice and tips & and I see a guy like i'm a clyde and he's 5,8 255lbs , I just start laughing cause if ur a clyde then what am I at 6'6 345lb lol.. in my opinon ur just a lil overweight /outta shape average guy. its like when all the avg guys buy up al the 2,3xl shirts , lol you say to yourself you know that dam shirt to big,,,lol....(really enjoying this topic) . ok but in all seriousiness when I come to this forum to get experienced info on product durability, weight limits, clothes, frame size, tires, rims, hubs, true big folks issues you average folks can sometimes mislead real cyldes (imo 6'+ , 275+) because the experience is just not the same because of the weight . being a clyde does not mean your fat (that's just me...lol)it just means your one of the bigfoot's that has evolved into socialization ...hahahahaha no for real if you look at stores ,cars, etc knowing you cant fit no clothes in that store , to big for that car ,& people seek you out in the store to retrieve things from the top shelf ........your a clyde !!!!! (been laughin so hard while write this post , hope everybody has a good laugh as I did )
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol