Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    And so it is "done." I ordered my 2013 Camber Comp (aluminum) last night. I am getting it in white and it will be upgraded to the new X0 Gripshift shifters. Spent just under $3K off my budget last night for the bike, shifters, new wireless computer (w/ cadence), some spare tubes (not rally for this bike) and a bottle cage. I am suppose to have it by the end of this week, AND the weather is suppose to be good though the next weekend (at least in the 60s), so there should be a ride on the new bike VERY quickly.

This will be the second best Christmas gift to date..... the first was my Trek 930 back in ~1996 that actually got me REALLY into mountain biking. I have my wife to thank BIG TIME for making this happen........ she is interested in riding now too, so there may be a new bike purchase by summer for her to go FS as well.... she is tiny though, so shopping for her will be MUCH easier.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    And so it is "done." I ordered my 2013 Camber Comp (aluminum) last night. I am getting it in white and it will be upgraded to the new X0 Gripshift shifters. Spent just under $3K off my budget last night for the bike, shifters, new wireless computer (w/ cadence), some spare tubes (not rally for this bike) and a bottle cage. I am suppose to have it by the end of this week, AND the weather is suppose to be good though the next weekend (at least in the 60s), so there should be a ride on the new bike VERY quickly.

This will be the second best Christmas gift to date..... the first was my Trek 930 back in ~1996 that actually got me REALLY into mountain biking. I have my wife to thank BIG TIME for making this happen........ she is interested in riding now too, so there may be a new bike purchase by summer for her to go FS as well.... she is tiny though, so shopping for her will be MUCH easier.
    That's really awesome Knight... You've been waiting and researching for such a long time, I'm stoked that you get to enjoy the hell out of a new ride.

Don't forget to post some photos of the new ride!
    Adam Christopher
    2012 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Only one pic so far... any other time it has been off the rack, I have been on it. Just tooling around the neighborhood and field next to my house. Man... seriously a nice bike for me. I think this "in between" XC and FR/AM bike is going to be perfect for me in N. Texas.

Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You can see the red ring for the sag on the rear shock... actually under 25% with the shock at 255-260 (shock said 260 when I unscrewed it and a little air came out). The auto-sag feature is nice and sets the sag perfectly, I just think I will be riding a little above that setting as I transition from an old school hard tail to a modern full suspension. First trail ride is Monday afternoon.... very busy weekend since I picked it up Friday morning...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I for one weighed well north of 350 when i started my mtb adventures. At the time i ride a Kona Stinky, (04) and then a 03 specialized bighit. I put really stiff springs in the front and rear. If i remember correctly it was 650 or higher. I never had issues with bottoming the suspension unless it was over a 4' drop. Regardless of what people say, fat asses can go full suspension. I always rode coiled because i was afraid of the pressure required for air suspension.
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All that said i think I'm going to go 29 hard trail for my next bike (i wast something to climb with)
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am expecting a NomadC XL frame towards the end of this month (intl shipping takes too long), i also purchased a Vivid Air (MM tune) for the rear to replace the stock soft tuned RP23. I'm hoping i could make it work with the Vivid Air with my 280lbs + gear. It's getting my ol' Talas 36. I really hope i can do an all air setup with the NomadC.

My DHR has a 650lb spring at 30%-35% sag.
    Intense UZZI (sold the frame) was with a 600lb spring with about 30% sag (lotsa preload hehe)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Currently entertaining buying a FS bike. I am a super-clyde @ 6'0 & 330 lbs. Ran across a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Pro FS in my local Craigslist ads. The only thing that makes me nervous is I'm not sure how the Rock Shox Bar rear shock would hold up. If I wanted to upgrade it, what would be reccomended?

Bike would be used for general trail riding, etc.

Here is the bike:

Fox Flux MTB Helmet mtn mountain bike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyMcWolfenstein View Post
    Currently entertaining buying a FS bike. I am a super-clyde @ 6'0 & 330 lbs. Ran across a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Pro FS in my local Craigslist ads. The only thing that makes me nervous is I'm not sure how the Rock Shox Bar rear shock would hold up. If I wanted to upgrade it, what would be reccomended?

Bike would be used for general trail riding, etc.

Here is the bike:

Fox Flux MTB Helmet mtn mountain bike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Have you read anything about PUSH? (a company that tunes a rear shock according to your needs.)
    Push Industries - Products
    You can google too...there's a ton of info about them.
    You posted the wrong link for your bike...check it again.
    Looks like you have a splice fork on there...huh?
    Dunno right now how that will work out...but you'll prolly need an X-firm fork tune of some sort.
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Welp, so much for that, the IH was sold. On to the next one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

CONGRATS!!!!! You've been searching for quite a while, glad you were finally able to pull the trigger. Have fun on the trails.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    After getting a few rides in on her, I will say that the Camber is an unspoken hero for clydes. I am totally in love with the bike. I really appreciate all of the input that has come from you folks and the forum.

FWIW, I run the Camber firmer than what I should by personal preference. I put 265psi in the rear shock (max on the Monarch is 275). If I push the auto-sag button, it adjusts down to the 25%. I run it at less than 25%... I am sure I will settle into the 25 as I get use to riding a FS. I am so happy I didn't listen to the folks telling me I should buy a hardtail... FS is SO nice as I am no longer beat up after a ride. The bike is way more able than I am, but I hope to grow my skills to match what she can do. I am going to buy Specialized's floor pump (Airtool UHP) for shocks.... hand pumps SUCK putting much pressure into a shock. A floor pump that easily puts out 350psi

Of course, it started raining right after I ordered the bike, so I have only had 2 rides on dirt with her, but she is even so much better tooling around the neighborhood playing around....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I send my fork out to Suspension Experts. When I weighted 310 My fork would bottom out all the time. I sent it to them cause I pumped so much pressure (140)into it, that I blew the seals... After calling around hey seemed to be the better choice. They modified the compression spring and did some other secret magic things. I have recently sent it in again due to that I am down to 238 and they revalued it again and it is perfect. They also did some other magic trick o the lock out that truly locks it out!!!
    Anyone remember the days when Signatures were called Taglines?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After getting a few rides in on her, I will say that the Camber is an unspoken hero for clydes. I am totally in love with the bike. I really appreciate all of the input that has come from you folks and the forum.

FWIW, I run the Camber firmer than what I should by personal preference. I put 265psi in the rear shock (max on the Monarch is 275). If I push the auto-sag button, it adjusts down to the 25%. I run it at less than 25%... I am sure I will settle into the 25 as I get use to riding a FS. I am so happy I didn't listen to the folks telling me I should buy a hardtail... FS is SO nice as I am no longer beat up after a ride. The bike is way more able than I am, but I hope to grow my skills to match what she can do. I am going to buy Specialized's floor pump (Airtool UHP) for shocks.... hand pumps SUCK putting much pressure into a shock. A floor pump that easily puts out 350psi

Of course, it started raining right after I ordered the bike, so I have only had 2 rides on dirt with her, but she is even so much better tooling around the neighborhood playing around....
    Any pics of your new ride yet? Have you had the chance to put her through the paces yet? Hoping I am able to ride again this year, Have fun with the new Camber!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstretcher View Post
    I send my fork out to Suspension Experts. When I weighted 310 My fork would bottom out all the time. I sent it to them cause I pumped so much pressure (140)into it, that I blew the seals... After calling around hey seemed to be the better choice. They modified the compression spring and did some other secret magic things. I have recently sent it in again due to that I am down to 238 and they revalued it again and it is perfect. They also did some other magic trick o the lock out that truly locks it out!!!
    Very cool man! Yeah, I had a really good experience with Suspension Experts. Before they tuned my fork I was beginning to have buyer's remorse for the super expensive bike I had just built up. But after the tuning by them the bike became so much fun to ride. It's also nice that they will work on, and feel confident about it, big mens' shocks and forks, unlike my experience with Push.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    Very cool man! Yeah, I had a really good experience with Suspension Experts. Before they tuned my fork I was beginning to have buyer's remorse for the super expensive bike I had just built up. But after the tuning by them the bike became so much fun to ride. It's also nice that they will work on, and feel confident about it, big mens' shocks and forks, unlike my experience with Push.
    Mason, I started this thread and I no longer even fit into the category.....If and when I can get healthy enough to start riding again, I am gonna have to completely resetup my ride and I had it so perfect. Oh well, that's life. Might be moving back to California, to San Rafael. Where do you typically ride. PM me if you want.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Any pics of your new ride yet? Have you had the chance to put her through the paces yet? Hoping I am able to ride again this year, Have fun with the new Camber!

That was taken this morning on my way to work (before this afternoon's ride). No trail pics... I never think about taking pics while I am out riding. I have had 6-7 rides on it (weather, allergies and life have not been cooperating), and I am more impressed every ride. I am still trying to get it dialed in a bit. I have the rear end working well, just trying to find the right sag on the fork. I am hoping to take her out tomorrow morning before it rains on what I call my "home" trail.

So yes, I still love my Camber and I know I will only be more and more happy as I lose weight and strengthen my skill set.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Not to be an ass my self but I feel like a broken record.....I did not nor did I ever ask how to set up someone's bike or to give me information on components, I asked if anyone out there in forum land who is over 300lbs has an "ACTUAL" Full Suspension bike that they own and ride. If they do, then would they kindly post what their successful suspension setup is. I have done searches and all the replies are like yours. TheMammothRider is one of the only guys on this forum who posted his build that works on this website, unfortunately he doesn't know the suspension specs because it was tuned for him, which is probably the best option. It would be nice if you had just one thread that had a list of working setups for Big Clydes so that they had a rock solid concrete starting point with variety of options to look at. Unfortunately this post is turning in to someone trying to give an opinion on a topic when you obviously do not have a full suspension bike that is set up successfully and at 270lbs........I WASN'T ASKING FOR A RESPONSE FROM YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE. It is frustrating when you ask for something specific and you get an opinion on something entirely else. To say there has been 10 posts this year......considering you cannot even understand what information this thread was originally looking for....I can see how you think that to be true.

AGAIN I ask the following:

"What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension? I would like to know what kind of bikes you have with Front and rear shock pressures or what pound coils you run. Thanks for the info! If you are kind enough to respond, please let me know just the specific frame and your suspension tuning setup that you are using. Thanks in advance for all your positive responses.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY IF YOU ARE NOT OVER 300LBS WITH A FULL SUSPENSION BIKE...
    i'm riding a 2006 Cannondale Prophet with a Fox RP2 on the rear. Set up at nearly 300psi and i weigh just over that with all my gear.

Looking at a new bike and having the same dilemma you were/are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS1980 View Post
    i'm riding a 2006 Cannondale Prophet with a Fox RP2 on the rear. Set up at nearly 300psi and i weigh just over that with all my gear.

Looking at a new bike and having the same dilemma you were/are.
    I ended up buying a 2011 Trek Scratch Air 9....had a Fox RP23 and added a Fox lrg volume spacer to increase the progressiveness at around 290psi when I was 315-320lbs. If you get a new bike, you might look into getting a Marzocchi Roco Air TST or WC shock...runs at a much lower air pressure. I ran mine at about 240psi at a bodyweight of 315lbs on the same bike. Look for a bike with a lower leverage ratio, check manufacturers recommended shock settings... If the bike requires shock pressures equal to or greater than the riders body weight, you will have trouble setting it up for you @ over 300lbs since the max psi is 300lbs for Fox and 275 for RS. Good luck with your new bike search.

Super Clyde

What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension

How much is too much for a FS? Trek is doing a Demo close by, and I'm going to ride a Stache. Just for kicks and grins I'm going to ride a Fuel EX 29er. What happens if I like the Fuel? I'm 6 ft and 350 currently. I ride with a Camelback Mule, tube, multi tool, etc. etc. Should I even bother?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just checked the Fuel EX8 29'ers Suspension set up Calculator on Treks website....at 249lbs it says to use 295psi in the rear shock. Almost 50psi over body weight so it doesn't seem like it would work for you.

mtbr member
    At 6 foot 325 loaded I was considering the Lenz Mammoth. It has a 2:1 leverage ratio . In conversation with Lenz they seem to feel this particular bike would work . Unfortunately there is no where here in Connecticut or remotely close to Connecticut to test one. I have also thought about the Yeti SB-95 with that trick switch suspension. Again no way to test ride one as their dealer network is small. Most dealers around here are Specialized, Trek and Giant dealers. So I also thought about building a FS using a Cane Creek double barrel. Has anyone had any experience with this shock?
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The 2:1 Leverage ratio sounds great on the Lenz, with regards to the DB, if its on the right frame I am sure its great. I am waiting to get a DB Air CS. A frame with a high leverage ratio would still not work. Oh, were you talking about the Air version or Coil version.....

mtbr member
    I was talking about all 3. Although I think the coil version would be a better choice. I really am a full suspension novice as I've always ridden hard tails. But I think my next bike will be the Lenz or the Yeti. I just checked and its a 6 hour ride for me to the nearest Lenz dealer.
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The only issue with coil is the max spring with Cane Creek is 600lbs. Plus to try different set-ups, you'll need a different spring each time. With Air shocks, you can easily add or release pressure until you find the right setup. Set-ups on the Yeti for the rear shock is rider weight minus 10lbs. So at 325lbs, you'll definitely have to use max pressure. Good luck with your search.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast