Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I have 2 bikes:
    2011 Giant Reign, 6" trail/AM bike
    2012 Specialized Camber 29er
    I've been riding the Reign for a few years now, it has a FOX RP23 (upgraded from a RP2) that I need to put 300 psi in for proper sag
    I just bought the Camber which has a Rockshox ArioRL. Only needs 200 psi to get the sag correct.
    Interesting how the different bikes with their different pivot points have such different psi needs.
    I'm 275 plus gear BTW
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    You all are just a bunch of pigs and need to go to the FAT FARM!
    Definitely could use a hug because this was the thread he started last week:

Clyde needs a good 29er to jump, 300 pounder

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm solid muscle, it's just that I carry a 100 of it around my middle

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

hi leverage or low leverage?

I would have started a new thread but, I need more post. So here is what I am purchasing with parts specs. Let me know your opinions and suggestions for a full suspension clydesdale rig(360 pounds of muscle
    I will be doing a mix of riding from around local flat parks(got to build endurance), to trails (hey I have to have fun)and when the weight falls offand my skill sets are good( just a little downhill)
    And yes I know it is heavy, just like the owner. I think it will help me loose weight faster.

2006 INTENSE UZI

SIZE: MEDIUM
    PARTS:
    EASTON CARBON EC70 HANDLEBAR
    RACEFACE DIABLO STEM
    FOX VANILLA RLC 140MM OF TRAVE(I will have to change springs)
    REAR SHOCK: VANILLA COIL OVER WITH REMOTE RESEVOIR, EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT(COMPRESSION, REBOUND, AND PRELOAD)(I will have to change springs)
    CHRIS KING HUBS, MAVIC RIM F219 DISC RIM
    HAYES MAG CARBON BRAKES
    CHRIS KING HEADSET WITH CARBON SPACERS
    XTR 9 SPEED SHIFTER(REAR ONLY( I am adding a ring in front, front shifter and a Front derailleur)
    XTR REAR DERAILLEUR
    XT CRANK, WITH MRP CHAIN GUIDE
    AZONIC PEDALS
    XTR 9 SPEED REAR CASSETTE( I think it has titanium large rings?)
    YETI LOCK ON GRIPS
    EASTON CARBON SEATPOST(Changing to thomson)
    SPG SADDLE

LBS is working on getting springs to set up for my weight.
    Anybody likes the components?
    Last edited by cellcaset; 11-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cellcaset View Post
    I would have started a new thread but, I need more post. So here is what I am purchasing with parts specs. Let me know your opinions and suggestions for a full suspension clydesdale rig(360 pounds of muscle
    I will be doing a mix of riding from around local flat parks(got to build endurance), to trails (hey I have to have fun)and when the weight falls offand my skill sets are good( just a little downhill)
    And yes I know it is heavy, just like the owner. I think it will help me loose weight faster.

2006 INTENSE UZI

SIZE: MEDIUM
    PARTS:
    EASTON CARBON EC70 HANDLEBAR
    RACEFACE DIABLO STEM
    FOX VANILLA RLC 140MM OF TRAVE(I will have to change springs)
    REAR SHOCK: VANILLA COIL OVER WITH REMOTE RESEVOIR, EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT(COMPRESSION, REBOUND, AND PRELOAD)(I will have to change springs)
    CHRIS KING HUBS, MAVIC RIM F219 DISC RIM
    HAYES MAG CARBON BRAKES
    CHRIS KING HEADSET WITH CARBON SPACERS
    XTR 9 SPEED SHIFTER(REAR ONLY( I am adding a ring in front, front shifter and a Front derailleur)
    XTR REAR DERAILLEUR
    XT CRANK, WITH MRP CHAIN GUIDE
    AZONIC PEDALS
    XTR 9 SPEED REAR CASSETTE( I think it has titanium large rings?)
    YETI LOCK ON GRIPS
    EASTON CARBON SEATPOST(Changing to thomson)
    SPG SADDLE

LBS is working on getting springs to set up for my weight.
    Anybody likes the components?
    Looks like a solid build to me. I'm interested to see what kind of coils you can find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will let you know as soon as LBS tells me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks like a good set up if you plan on going down more than up or flat. Given the geometery it looks like that is going to be a bit of a slow roller. You will definitely build endurance pedaling that thing.

Someone (I don't recall the manufacturer) makes a 700lb coilspring, and that is likely what you are going to need. I have one on my Niner WFO mounted on a Marzocchi Rocco RC, and it holds me up when I'm in the 330lb range. Unfortunately, I think that extra heavy coil is also the reason I've broken the frame. While the WFO suspension is set up totally different than the Uzzi, one thing to consider is that the higher rated coil spring will transfer even more force on the various suspension components. I think the Uzzi's set up is probably better suited to those extra forces than the WFO, but still something to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

coil

Lbs got me the max that he could get, it is rated at 800. So that is what I will start with. I will pick up bike next Thursday, so I will see how it feels and let you guys know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

here is a picture

It also has Tioga DH 2.5 tires, heavy duty bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension-%24t2ec16h-y8e9s2fl7z1bqk-roz1bg%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Rented an XL 2012 Camber 29 (lowest model) yesterday to try out this FS thing. To say th eleast, I am sold. I also think the Camber would be more than capable of standing up to the trails in my area and can handle the weight.

For reference, I set the rear shock at 245psi (extrapolated from Specialized's set up guide) and never used full travel. I only used about half travel even with jumping up and down on the bike. Seems that there is hope after all.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Rented an XL 2012 Camber 29 (lowest model) yesterday to try out this FS thing. To say th eleast, I am sold. I also think the Camber would be more than capable of standing up to the trails in my area and can handle the weight.

For reference, I set the rear shock at 245psi (extrapolated from Specialized's set up guide) and never used full travel. I only used about half travel even with jumping up and down on the bike. Seems that there is hope after all.
    Sounds great, I knew you've been looking for a while now.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Sounds great, I knew you've been looking for a while now.
    My cat went to the vet ICU Friday night (and it still there right now), so the bike thing is postponed a bit. It is probably a good thing because the bikes I really want to look at keep getting delayed. I am really interested in checking out a Trek SF100 Pro now since the leverage ration on the SF100 is nearly identical to the Camber I rode....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I'm riding an airborne zeppelin elite with a fox float 32 @ 160psi and a rock shox bar 2.1 @ 220 psi

Rides great. Use 3/4 of travel on the rear and roughly half on the front. I could air down a little but I prefer a little harder suspension. I'm at 280lbs

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday. Thinking about it over night and then Saturday I am taking my wife up there to get her fit a little better on her bike and will be ordering my decision (neither are in stock in the right size and trim level).

And yeah, took my wife out to ride on the dirt yesterday (first time she has ever been on dirt) and she really liked it. I am anticipating buying her a FS bike in the spring to keep riding with me... she is tiny though, so the choice will probably be a bit harder since she can ride anything.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday. Thinking about it over night and then Saturday I am taking my wife up there to get her fit a little better on her bike and will be ordering my decision (neither are in stock in the right size and trim level).

And yeah, took my wife out to ride on the dirt yesterday (first time she has ever been on dirt) and she really liked it. I am anticipating buying her a FS bike in the spring to keep riding with me... she is tiny though, so the choice will probably be a bit harder since she can ride anything.
    That's awesome! Glad to see you've narrowed it down and will be making a purchase. Let us know how the test ride goes on each, I'm curious to see which bike you end up with (both are great bikes).
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=Knight511;9955901]Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday.

Hey Knight. I was thinking about your last post a couple of days ago while on a ride. I'm sure if I looked at the rest of this thread I'd probably find how much you weigh, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I mention this because both of these bikes' designs aren't all that good for guys over 250. I know this because I had a '10 Fisher HiFi and a '10 Speshy Stumpjumper FSR 26". I spoke directly with a suspension guy at Specialized when I sent my shock in for their S-tune program and he told me that they only design their bikes with a 250lb upper limit. He told me this because when he tuned my shock, he really had no clue on what would work because it was way over anything they'd ever done before. I really liked that bike too, but it was either lots of pedal strikes or so stiff that it was painful to ride. Granted, the one you want to try is a 29er and it may be better, but who knows?

As for the Rumblefish, I realize it's a bit burlier than the HiFi was and has a bit more travel, but at over 300lbs on my HiFi, I had a horrible time with constant peddle strikes. I mean I bashed the hell out of my pedals, cranks and feet from time to time. When I called Push to ask them if they would tune my shock for me, their reply email was "get another bike with a better suspension design". I also blew 3 rear hubs on my HiFi in the first 6 months. If you're not going to be pushing it at all and just cruising around on relatively flat terrain, then either of these will probably work just fine for you. But, if you ever push yourself and start to push the bike, it may not be the best choice in the long run.

I don't mean to be a total buzz kill. I just spent a bunch of money on two bikes, the HiFi first and then I bought the Stumpy because I kept breaking the first and wanted something to fill in and they both ended up broke all the time and in the shop. Just thought I'd throw it out there because it sucks to spend a lot of money on nice bikes and then find out it's not what will work. Most bike shops have no clue about what will work for big guys and are only out for to make a buck, which I learned the hard way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Judging from company's reps, I wouls say a GT full suspension bike would prolly be good for Clyde riders.From what I've heard...GT tends to overbuild their bikes sometimes...so judging from that,I'd say they might be worth a look.I have a 2009 GT Marathon 9er and a 2009 GT Marathon Sport 26er frame, and neither one looks like they will give me any problems once they are built up.I don't have much experience with full suspension bikes though...it's just that the GT's look pretty strong and beefy.
    ...Hope they will be.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    @masonmoa... I am afraid that I will find that you are more than right. I am just very impatient right now.... been waiting for over a year to get a new bike. It doesn't help that I am pretty positive that my current bike is just too small for me... patience is not a virtue I carry.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Another bike that is interesting to me is the Salsa Horsethief 1. Fox 34 up front, Reverb seatpost and a lower leverage ratio.... but it is another one of those bikes nobody carries around here...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Alright, the results from today's playing (some are no real surprise to any of us):

2013 Stumpy FSR 29: Too much squish. Even with me set up with the "auto-sag" set correctly, I blew through 2/3 of the travel just dropping off a curb seated. And the bike is WAY too plush for an XC guy that has spent his whole life on hard/soft tails. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2012 Rumblefish Elite: Didn't even ride it. With the shock set at max pressure, I was still sagging down somewhere between 40-50%. As much as I love Trek, the RF is not the bike either. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2013 Epic Comp: Didn't even ride it. With the shock set at max pressure, I was still sagging down somewhere between 40-50%. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2013 Camber Comp: Strange things happen on the Camber. I did ride it, but I had the PSI less in it than any other bike. Still used 2/3 travel, but it felt MUCH better. I am going to try it out again tomorrow with more air in the shock. Conclusion: I like the Camber and will play some more with it tomorrow.

2013 Camber Comp Carbon: Why is there no discussion of this bike? 260psi and I barely sag 25% (MAYBE!). Very nice solid feel.... doesn't use more than half the travel even with me bouncing on the thing. The carbon version has a different swing arm set up.... and as it turns out, it is really quite super-clyde friendly. Conclusion: Probably "the" bike unless the aluminum version falls more in line tomorrow.

This shouldn't be a surprise though. I rented a 12 Camber 29 (base model) and really enjoyed it. Used no more than 50% of the travel on my normal loop. 2012 aluminum frame uses the same swing arm as the 13 carbon. Yes, the bike leans a bit more towards XC, but this is NORTH TEXAS... we are not known for our mountains, so I kind of lean towards XC in my riding style any way.

I really like the carbon because the rear shock does not use a "specialized" mounting style, it is normal eyelet-to-eyelet, so it would be upgradable in the future if I needed/wanted. The only real draw back is that the carbon is $1K more than aluminum, but it also comes with a better shock/fork set up and is lighter (carbon, duh! ).

Both are in stock at the warehouse. One more round of playing tomorrow.

I would highly encourage any big dudes to check out the Cambers though... they are MUCH nicer for us big dudes than the other Spec' FS bikes.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Correction: The Camber Carbon I rode was tagged 2013, but it was a 2012. Hmmm.... makes the $$$ a bit harder to think about. The 2013 comes with a Reba instead of the Fox Float up front... and the 2013 drive train is Shimano based instead of the 2012's SRAM.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    I totally agree about the Camber.
    I recently got a '12 camber 29er with the cheapo Rockshox Ario, and for XC it works like a dream for me @ 270 pounds. I think I keep it at 225 psi, and haven't bottomed it out yet on rough rocky AZ trails.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Try a Foes with a Curnutt Air shock, you will not go through the travel. The shock has alot more volume than a fox. I weigh in at 250 not geared up and only put in 125 lbs in the shock and it works great.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Foes doesn't offer XL so the frames are kind of small for me. That and there aren't any dealers to even hope to get a test fit on.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I totally agree about the Camber.
    I recently got a '12 camber 29er with the cheapo Rockshox Ario, and for XC it works like a dream for me @ 270 pounds. I think I keep it at 225 psi, and haven't bottomed it out yet on rough rocky AZ trails.
    That is the bike I actually "test rode." The Camber 29 ("base" model) handled me really quite well. I enjoyed the ride and it is responsible for me wanting a FS bike.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast