Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    bump

mtbr member
    Good thread, worth another bump.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Contemplating an upgrade to the Niner WFO. It has the Monarch RT3 with high volume air can. At 325 lbs, I'm worried that the high volume won't be good, plus the max pressure is 275 psi. I'll be running close to 300 psi. Anybody have experience with the RT3 and can i put a low volume air can on it or add spacers inside to take up air volume?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Contemplating an upgrade to the Niner WFO. It has the Monarch RT3 with high volume air can. At 325 lbs, I'm worried that the high volume won't be good, plus the max pressure is 275 psi. I'll be running close to 300 psi. Anybody have experience with the RT3 and can i put a low volume air can on it or add spacers inside to take up air volume?
    Never used one but RS definitely makes tuning kits for it to adjust volume.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    6ft tall, 280 lbs
    Ride1 Superfly 100 Elite: Fork(100mm rp2) is at 160 psi, Rear shock at 260 psi.(Prefer the easy approach to getting the suspension dialed over the DRCV. Ride quality is better then the Rumblefish for now)

Ride 2 Rumblefish Pro: Fork (120mm DRCV) is at 170 psi, Rear shock at 300 psi( Still playing with the pressures due to harsh small bump compliance.

Bought a Superfly 100 elite 3 months ago and found that when doing 2-3ft drops and mashing up hills that I was breaking chains and loosening the rear hub due to flex of the rear triangle; broke 6 chains in consecutive rides. Ended up buying a Rumblefish Pro with 142 dropouts and more travel and haven't broken a chain since. The Pro isn't dialed in as of yet, but feel confident that the mentioned pressures above will be close with tweaks to the rebound dials. May sound weird but I prefer the ride of the Superfly over the Rumblefish but its been nice not having to walk back the car. Will eventually convert to 142 on the Elite but for now my wallet is full of holes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm a 350 lb guy ride hard tail because of that with a modified suspension seat post but I'm switching to a a rear suspension bike also I do maintenance work for a Steel Mill and my idea that I'm gona try is to modify a air suspension shock with brackets to run a coil over it. I'm gona give it a shot and I'll let you unz no how it works out as for the suspension seat post I modified it just by pulling it apart and stuffing old inner tubes in with coil spring believe it or not worked great for last year and I ride bout 10 miles a day.

mtbr member
    Oh, you gotta show me a pic of that contraption.
    XXL Spesh FSR 29er | Custom Ti roadie by Triton | FM190 build in progress

mtbr member
    Oh, you gotta show us a pic of that contraption!
    XXL Spesh FSR 29er | Custom Ti roadie by Triton | FM190 build in progress

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    6ft tall, 280 lbs
    Ride1 Superfly 100 Elite: Fork(100mm rp2) is at 160 psi, Rear shock at 260 psi.(Prefer the easy approach to getting the suspension dialed over the DRCV. Ride quality is better then the Rumblefish for now)

Ride 2 Rumblefish Pro: Fork (120mm DRCV) is at 170 psi, Rear shock at 300 psi( Still playing with the pressures due to harsh small bump compliance.

Bought a Superfly 100 elite 3 months ago and found that when doing 2-3ft drops and mashing up hills that I was breaking chains and loosening the rear hub due to flex of the rear triangle; broke 6 chains in consecutive rides. Ended up buying a Rumblefish Pro with 142 dropouts and more travel and haven't broken a chain since. The Pro isn't dialed in as of yet, but feel confident that the mentioned pressures above will be close with tweaks to the rebound dials. May sound weird but I prefer the ride of the Superfly over the Rumblefish but its been nice not having to walk back the car. Will eventually convert to 142 on the Elite but for now my wallet is full of holes.
    Are you sure you are measuring the chain length properly? That seems odd. I don't know much about Treks ABP, do they have much chain growth throughout the suspension travel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by t51rmkiv View Post
    6ft tall, 280 lbs

This sounds like you're running your fork psi at a really unsafe setting. I think the max psi for those forks is around 135 if I'm not mistaken. I'm taller and bigger than you and I run my 34 Talas 140 on my WFO at around 100psi (max is 115) and my recently custom tuned 36 Float 160 at 95psi (max 105). When I ran my old 32 Talas 110/140 at 150psi it blew out on me (and sent me flying over the handlebars down the hill). Anyway, just thought I'd give my 2 cents. As for your shocks psi's, sounds about right for the bikes' suspension design and your weight. I had a GF Hifi 29er and found it just didn't handle my weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    By the way, thought I'd mention this in this thread as it seems appropriate. As I just wrote, I just got my '12 36 Float 160 custom tuned for my weight. What was interesting is that I called Push to talk to them about it as they'd done a fork for me before. They ended up refusing me service because they said I was too heavy for what they could do for me. So, for you 300+ guys who might want a custom-tuned fork/shock, I called up and used Suspension Experts. They weren't afraid to work with me and one of their techs is a big rider at 270 so they know how to make things work for heavy riders. I only have a couple of rides on the fork, and it's definitely better than before and I'm can run it way under the max psi. I have it around 95psi now (105psi is the max) and I think I still need to drop the pressure even more. And at that psi I have almost no break dive, which is awesome. Before, with the sag set up right, I had way too much break dive, so to compensate I had to run around max psi but then only got 3-4" of travel and had a harsh ride.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Updates from people? New bikes to talk about? I think i am finally in the position to buy....
    2013 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (the commuter)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm down to 275lbs from 280~ and don't have any issues riding my factory 2007 KHS XC104 (FS). I couldn't tell you any specs since I bought it used and liked the way it was set up from the start. Anyhow, it's heavy but it rides nice and handles my abuse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Updates from people? New bikes to talk about? I think i am finally in the position to buy....
    Hey Knight it's been a while. What are you looking for now, 29er, 26"? How much are you looking to spend?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    29er for sure, but budget depends on what I want to do.

Option 1: Buy a hardtail for ~$2K to ride to lose more weight.
    Option 2: Use up to $4K to build a bike exactly how I would want.

Obviously option 2 sounds better, but there are 2 "problems" with it.

1. I am still leary of a FS at my weight (308) since I won't use a full on DH/AM bike like a WFO in my area... I really just need/want a good 100-120mm which mould be more than I would every really use where I live... we don't have mountains in North Texas.
    2. The "dream" build would take months to complete. I am "eyeing" the Niner RIP9 from Jenson as my base if I go this route. Get the frame/fork while they are on sale and build over winter to ride in the spring.

Going with a hardtail means I get a complete bike for about the price of the frame which means I can ride it NOW instead of waiting, but will I be happy with that decision? Part of the problem is that I have no idea how much I rely on my softtail right now. Since I ride a 26" Trek STP200 (carbon softtail frame with 1" of rear travel), I really don't know how much BITE is being taken out by the rear end. I have no issues riding until my legs got nothing left right now, but would a true hardtail leave my back out first? If there were a good 29" version of an air sprung softtail, I would probably pick it since this is what I know.

To build my "dream" RIP9 (which mind you, I have NEVER ridden a 29er much less a RIP), I take some risks. The most obvious is that I have never ridden a 29er. That means I have ridden a 26" bike for my whole life.... but since I took an 11year break (2000-2011), I don't exactly have a bunch of mad skillz based around a 26" wheel.... no talent hack sums it up. My method of riding may resemble more of a steamroller than any of those graceful bike videos.

This is a HUGE amount of money to divert out of our budget, but my wife is pretty adament that I should spend the money on something that I will get a lot of use out of AND ends up being healthy for me. Now that we can actually spend the money, I am just scared as hell that I am going to spend it wrong.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't know if you can go wrong with the RIP 9 and there's a bunch of sales on the right now. Guess it just depends on how you plan on riding your bike. If you're just going to be cruising smooth, flowy, XC stuff to get into shape, then a hard tail would be fine. I'm actually surprised these days how many people around where I live are riding hard tail 29ers with 100mm travel fork. There's a ton of them around. If you want to push your bike a bit more, then a RIP 9 is the way to go. Only bad thing I've seen about the RIP's is Sasquatch who's on here busted a frame a couple months ago. Niner replaced it, but still not ideal. There's also so many threads on here about 26" vs 29" and I like both, but if you're as much as a steamroller as you stated above, a 29er, in my opinion, is the way to go, and maybe a hard tail 29er? Jenson also has a killer price on the '11 Niner Air 9 frames right now.

As for original topic of this thread, thought I'd share my recent issues. On my WFO, my 34 Talas got sent back into Fox to have the uppers replaced last month. Some weird popping noises developed and it was from the stanchions not fitting perfectly into the crown. And now my DHX Air 5 is heading back to Fox because after I had the guy at my LBS change the seals and oil for me, it continues to leak a ton of oil. Not great, but at least it's under warranty. Does have me thinking I may need to start considering a coil shock.

My last post on this thread I mentioned the tuning I had done on my 36 Float and it's still amazing. It's made the bike so much more fun to ride! For you larger clydes, if Push refuses you service, definitely check out Suspension Experts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Are you sure you are measuring the chain length properly? That seems odd. I don't know much about Treks ABP, do they have much chain growth throughout the suspension travel.
    Sorry for the long delay in responding.
    Im not really sure, nor did I measure the chain, LBS performed all maintenance. The bike was taken to several bike shops for a fresh perspective but no dice. In hind site a combination of the rear flexing and rough gear changes was mostly likely the culprete. Still havnt had an isse with Rumblefish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    29er for sure, but budget depends on what I want to do.

Option 1: Buy a hardtail for ~$2K to ride to lose more weight.
    Option 2: Use up to $4K to build a bike exactly how I would want.

Obviously option 2 sounds better, but there are 2 "problems" with it.

1. I am still leary of a FS at my weight (308) since I won't use a full on DH/AM bike like a WFO in my area... I really just need/want a good 100-120mm which mould be more than I would every really use where I live... we don't have mountains in North Texas.
    2. The "dream" build would take months to complete. I am "eyeing" the Niner RIP9 from Jenson as my base if I go this route. Get the frame/fork while they are on sale and build over winter to ride in the spring.

Going with a hardtail means I get a complete bike for about the price of the frame which means I can ride it NOW instead of waiting, but will I be happy with that decision? Part of the problem is that I have no idea how much I rely on my softtail right now. Since I ride a 26" Trek STP200 (carbon softtail frame with 1" of rear travel), I really don't know how much BITE is being taken out by the rear end. I have no issues riding until my legs got nothing left right now, but would a true hardtail leave my back out first? If there were a good 29" version of an air sprung softtail, I would probably pick it since this is what I know.

To build my "dream" RIP9 (which mind you, I have NEVER ridden a 29er much less a RIP), I take some risks. The most obvious is that I have never ridden a 29er. That means I have ridden a 26" bike for my whole life.... but since I took an 11year break (2000-2011), I don't exactly have a bunch of mad skillz based around a 26" wheel.... no talent hack sums it up. My method of riding may resemble more of a steamroller than any of those graceful bike videos.

This is a HUGE amount of money to divert out of our budget, but my wife is pretty adament that I should spend the money on something that I will get a lot of use out of AND ends up being healthy for me. Now that we can actually spend the money, I am just scared as hell that I am going to spend it wrong.
    I think you can get a 29er squishy cheaper than that...then have something left over to get another bike. Do you just like the RIP? Or do you think it suits you like no other?
    I picked up a 2009 GT Marathon 9r frame for $159 from Nashbar. Definitely not on the same level as a RIP, but enough to wet my feet in the 29er squishy water.Sounds like you're trying to build the best bike ultimately for you though.I would divide the RIP money,and get two bikes.
    ...but that's just my .02.
    My frame was on sale at Nashbar during a "warranty frame" warehouse cleanout Nashbar does about once a year or from time to time.Have you considered any other frames for a 29er build? hammerheadbikes.com has some good deals sometimes...including Niner.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    If I were to divide for 2 bikes, one would be road and one mountain, but this isn't like I have been given $4K to spend, I can spend up to $4K on a single bike. Remember, this is my wife I am dealing with... I am not going to stretch the offer too far less I not get an offer like this again in the future I am also considering many other bikes, the RIP9 just stands out right now... not set on it at all though.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    As of right now, there is a delay of game. One of the bikes I really want to test is not available and won't be in shop until late November/early December. So now I must wait.... impatiently.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As of right now, there is a delay of game. One of the bikes I really want to test is not available and won't be in shop until late November/early December. So now I must wait.... impatiently.
    just hang in there and read the forums....things change all the time.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I know. I really want to take one of the new Cambers out for a test ride before dropping coin. I am thinking with a Camber Comp Al, I should be able to get my wife a new bike to come out with me.... that would make this MUCH better.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I ride a Foes XCT 5 and the curnutt shock it the best shock I have used. It is a very large volume shock. A RP23 is a joke sitting next to it. I put 150 psi geared up in it. My old Chumba with an RP23 was at least 100 more psi. Look to see if you can find one used with the Curnutt XTD air shock.

A good thing also is to send the shock in and Foes will tune the shock to your weight and riding style which is 90% of the setup.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You all are just a bunch of pigs and need to go to the FAT FARM!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Somebody needs a hug.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I have 2 bikes:
    2011 Giant Reign, 6" trail/AM bike
    2012 Specialized Camber 29er
    I've been riding the Reign for a few years now, it has a FOX RP23 (upgraded from a RP2) that I need to put 300 psi in for proper sag
    I just bought the Camber which has a Rockshox ArioRL. Only needs 200 psi to get the sag correct.
    Interesting how the different bikes with their different pivot points have such different psi needs.
    I'm 275 plus gear BTW

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    You all are just a bunch of pigs and need to go to the FAT FARM!
    Definitely could use a hug because this was the thread he started last week:

Clyde needs a good 29er to jump, 300 pounder

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm solid muscle, it's just that I carry a 100 of it around my middle

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

hi leverage or low leverage?

I would have started a new thread but, I need more post. So here is what I am purchasing with parts specs. Let me know your opinions and suggestions for a full suspension clydesdale rig(360 pounds of muscle
    I will be doing a mix of riding from around local flat parks(got to build endurance), to trails (hey I have to have fun)and when the weight falls offand my skill sets are good( just a little downhill)
    And yes I know it is heavy, just like the owner. I think it will help me loose weight faster.

2006 INTENSE UZI

SIZE: MEDIUM
    PARTS:
    EASTON CARBON EC70 HANDLEBAR
    RACEFACE DIABLO STEM
    FOX VANILLA RLC 140MM OF TRAVE(I will have to change springs)
    REAR SHOCK: VANILLA COIL OVER WITH REMOTE RESEVOIR, EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT(COMPRESSION, REBOUND, AND PRELOAD)(I will have to change springs)
    CHRIS KING HUBS, MAVIC RIM F219 DISC RIM
    HAYES MAG CARBON BRAKES
    CHRIS KING HEADSET WITH CARBON SPACERS
    XTR 9 SPEED SHIFTER(REAR ONLY( I am adding a ring in front, front shifter and a Front derailleur)
    XTR REAR DERAILLEUR
    XT CRANK, WITH MRP CHAIN GUIDE
    AZONIC PEDALS
    XTR 9 SPEED REAR CASSETTE( I think it has titanium large rings?)
    YETI LOCK ON GRIPS
    EASTON CARBON SEATPOST(Changing to thomson)
    SPG SADDLE

LBS is working on getting springs to set up for my weight.
    Anybody likes the components?
    Last edited by cellcaset; 11-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cellcaset View Post
    I would have started a new thread but, I need more post. So here is what I am purchasing with parts specs. Let me know your opinions and suggestions for a full suspension clydesdale rig(360 pounds of muscle
    I will be doing a mix of riding from around local flat parks(got to build endurance), to trails (hey I have to have fun)and when the weight falls offand my skill sets are good( just a little downhill)
    And yes I know it is heavy, just like the owner. I think it will help me loose weight faster.

2006 INTENSE UZI

SIZE: MEDIUM
    PARTS:
    EASTON CARBON EC70 HANDLEBAR
    RACEFACE DIABLO STEM
    FOX VANILLA RLC 140MM OF TRAVE(I will have to change springs)
    REAR SHOCK: VANILLA COIL OVER WITH REMOTE RESEVOIR, EXTERNAL ADJUSTMENT(COMPRESSION, REBOUND, AND PRELOAD)(I will have to change springs)
    CHRIS KING HUBS, MAVIC RIM F219 DISC RIM
    HAYES MAG CARBON BRAKES
    CHRIS KING HEADSET WITH CARBON SPACERS
    XTR 9 SPEED SHIFTER(REAR ONLY( I am adding a ring in front, front shifter and a Front derailleur)
    XTR REAR DERAILLEUR
    XT CRANK, WITH MRP CHAIN GUIDE
    AZONIC PEDALS
    XTR 9 SPEED REAR CASSETTE( I think it has titanium large rings?)
    YETI LOCK ON GRIPS
    EASTON CARBON SEATPOST(Changing to thomson)
    SPG SADDLE

LBS is working on getting springs to set up for my weight.
    Anybody likes the components?
    Looks like a solid build to me. I'm interested to see what kind of coils you can find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will let you know as soon as LBS tells me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks like a good set up if you plan on going down more than up or flat. Given the geometery it looks like that is going to be a bit of a slow roller. You will definitely build endurance pedaling that thing.

Someone (I don't recall the manufacturer) makes a 700lb coilspring, and that is likely what you are going to need. I have one on my Niner WFO mounted on a Marzocchi Rocco RC, and it holds me up when I'm in the 330lb range. Unfortunately, I think that extra heavy coil is also the reason I've broken the frame. While the WFO suspension is set up totally different than the Uzzi, one thing to consider is that the higher rated coil spring will transfer even more force on the various suspension components. I think the Uzzi's set up is probably better suited to those extra forces than the WFO, but still something to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

coil

Lbs got me the max that he could get, it is rated at 800. So that is what I will start with. I will pick up bike next Thursday, so I will see how it feels and let you guys know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

here is a picture

It also has Tioga DH 2.5 tires, heavy duty bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension-%24t2ec16h-y8e9s2fl7z1bqk-roz1bg%7E%7E60_57.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Rented an XL 2012 Camber 29 (lowest model) yesterday to try out this FS thing. To say th eleast, I am sold. I also think the Camber would be more than capable of standing up to the trails in my area and can handle the weight.

For reference, I set the rear shock at 245psi (extrapolated from Specialized's set up guide) and never used full travel. I only used about half travel even with jumping up and down on the bike. Seems that there is hope after all.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rented an XL 2012 Camber 29 (lowest model) yesterday to try out this FS thing. To say th eleast, I am sold. I also think the Camber would be more than capable of standing up to the trails in my area and can handle the weight.

For reference, I set the rear shock at 245psi (extrapolated from Specialized's set up guide) and never used full travel. I only used about half travel even with jumping up and down on the bike. Seems that there is hope after all.
    Sounds great, I knew you've been looking for a while now.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Sounds great, I knew you've been looking for a while now.
    My cat went to the vet ICU Friday night (and it still there right now), so the bike thing is postponed a bit. It is probably a good thing because the bikes I really want to look at keep getting delayed. I am really interested in checking out a Trek SF100 Pro now since the leverage ration on the SF100 is nearly identical to the Camber I rode....
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I'm riding an airborne zeppelin elite with a fox float 32 @ 160psi and a rock shox bar 2.1 @ 220 psi

Rides great. Use 3/4 of travel on the rear and roughly half on the front. I could air down a little but I prefer a little harder suspension. I'm at 280lbs

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday. Thinking about it over night and then Saturday I am taking my wife up there to get her fit a little better on her bike and will be ordering my decision (neither are in stock in the right size and trim level).

And yeah, took my wife out to ride on the dirt yesterday (first time she has ever been on dirt) and she really liked it. I am anticipating buying her a FS bike in the spring to keep riding with me... she is tiny though, so the choice will probably be a bit harder since she can ride anything.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

Like a BOSS
    Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday. Thinking about it over night and then Saturday I am taking my wife up there to get her fit a little better on her bike and will be ordering my decision (neither are in stock in the right size and trim level).

And yeah, took my wife out to ride on the dirt yesterday (first time she has ever been on dirt) and she really liked it. I am anticipating buying her a FS bike in the spring to keep riding with me... she is tiny though, so the choice will probably be a bit harder since she can ride anything.
    That's awesome! Glad to see you've narrowed it down and will be making a purchase. Let us know how the test ride goes on each, I'm curious to see which bike you end up with (both are great bikes).
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    ♦ Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=Knight511;9955901]Finally have my field narrowed down to just 2 and 1 of them will be ordered this coming Saturday. Since I wanted to stick with my LBS for the purchase, I did cross off the RIP9 finally. I will be testing both a Rumblefish Elite and a Stumpjumper FSR Elite 29 this Friday.

Hey Knight. I was thinking about your last post a couple of days ago while on a ride. I'm sure if I looked at the rest of this thread I'd probably find how much you weigh, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I mention this because both of these bikes' designs aren't all that good for guys over 250. I know this because I had a '10 Fisher HiFi and a '10 Speshy Stumpjumper FSR 26". I spoke directly with a suspension guy at Specialized when I sent my shock in for their S-tune program and he told me that they only design their bikes with a 250lb upper limit. He told me this because when he tuned my shock, he really had no clue on what would work because it was way over anything they'd ever done before. I really liked that bike too, but it was either lots of pedal strikes or so stiff that it was painful to ride. Granted, the one you want to try is a 29er and it may be better, but who knows?

As for the Rumblefish, I realize it's a bit burlier than the HiFi was and has a bit more travel, but at over 300lbs on my HiFi, I had a horrible time with constant peddle strikes. I mean I bashed the hell out of my pedals, cranks and feet from time to time. When I called Push to ask them if they would tune my shock for me, their reply email was "get another bike with a better suspension design". I also blew 3 rear hubs on my HiFi in the first 6 months. If you're not going to be pushing it at all and just cruising around on relatively flat terrain, then either of these will probably work just fine for you. But, if you ever push yourself and start to push the bike, it may not be the best choice in the long run.

I don't mean to be a total buzz kill. I just spent a bunch of money on two bikes, the HiFi first and then I bought the Stumpy because I kept breaking the first and wanted something to fill in and they both ended up broke all the time and in the shop. Just thought I'd throw it out there because it sucks to spend a lot of money on nice bikes and then find out it's not what will work. Most bike shops have no clue about what will work for big guys and are only out for to make a buck, which I learned the hard way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Judging from company's reps, I wouls say a GT full suspension bike would prolly be good for Clyde riders.From what I've heard...GT tends to overbuild their bikes sometimes...so judging from that,I'd say they might be worth a look.I have a 2009 GT Marathon 9er and a 2009 GT Marathon Sport 26er frame, and neither one looks like they will give me any problems once they are built up.I don't have much experience with full suspension bikes though...it's just that the GT's look pretty strong and beefy.
    ...Hope they will be.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    @masonmoa... I am afraid that I will find that you are more than right. I am just very impatient right now.... been waiting for over a year to get a new bike. It doesn't help that I am pretty positive that my current bike is just too small for me... patience is not a virtue I carry.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Another bike that is interesting to me is the Salsa Horsethief 1. Fox 34 up front, Reverb seatpost and a lower leverage ratio.... but it is another one of those bikes nobody carries around here...
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Alright, the results from today's playing (some are no real surprise to any of us):

2013 Stumpy FSR 29: Too much squish. Even with me set up with the "auto-sag" set correctly, I blew through 2/3 of the travel just dropping off a curb seated. And the bike is WAY too plush for an XC guy that has spent his whole life on hard/soft tails. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2012 Rumblefish Elite: Didn't even ride it. With the shock set at max pressure, I was still sagging down somewhere between 40-50%. As much as I love Trek, the RF is not the bike either. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2013 Epic Comp: Didn't even ride it. With the shock set at max pressure, I was still sagging down somewhere between 40-50%. Conclusion: Not a super-clyde friendly bike.

2013 Camber Comp: Strange things happen on the Camber. I did ride it, but I had the PSI less in it than any other bike. Still used 2/3 travel, but it felt MUCH better. I am going to try it out again tomorrow with more air in the shock. Conclusion: I like the Camber and will play some more with it tomorrow.

2013 Camber Comp Carbon: Why is there no discussion of this bike? 260psi and I barely sag 25% (MAYBE!). Very nice solid feel.... doesn't use more than half the travel even with me bouncing on the thing. The carbon version has a different swing arm set up.... and as it turns out, it is really quite super-clyde friendly. Conclusion: Probably "the" bike unless the aluminum version falls more in line tomorrow.

This shouldn't be a surprise though. I rented a 12 Camber 29 (base model) and really enjoyed it. Used no more than 50% of the travel on my normal loop. 2012 aluminum frame uses the same swing arm as the 13 carbon. Yes, the bike leans a bit more towards XC, but this is NORTH TEXAS... we are not known for our mountains, so I kind of lean towards XC in my riding style any way.

I really like the carbon because the rear shock does not use a "specialized" mounting style, it is normal eyelet-to-eyelet, so it would be upgradable in the future if I needed/wanted. The only real draw back is that the carbon is $1K more than aluminum, but it also comes with a better shock/fork set up and is lighter (carbon, duh! ).

Both are in stock at the warehouse. One more round of playing tomorrow.

I would highly encourage any big dudes to check out the Cambers though... they are MUCH nicer for us big dudes than the other Spec' FS bikes.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Correction: The Camber Carbon I rode was tagged 2013, but it was a 2012. Hmmm.... makes the $$$ a bit harder to think about. The 2013 comes with a Reba instead of the Fox Float up front... and the 2013 drive train is Shimano based instead of the 2012's SRAM.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I totally agree about the Camber.
    I recently got a '12 camber 29er with the cheapo Rockshox Ario, and for XC it works like a dream for me @ 270 pounds. I think I keep it at 225 psi, and haven't bottomed it out yet on rough rocky AZ trails.

mtbr member
    Try a Foes with a Curnutt Air shock, you will not go through the travel. The shock has alot more volume than a fox. I weigh in at 250 not geared up and only put in 125 lbs in the shock and it works great.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Foes doesn't offer XL so the frames are kind of small for me. That and there aren't any dealers to even hope to get a test fit on.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I totally agree about the Camber.
    I recently got a '12 camber 29er with the cheapo Rockshox Ario, and for XC it works like a dream for me @ 270 pounds. I think I keep it at 225 psi, and haven't bottomed it out yet on rough rocky AZ trails.
    That is the bike I actually "test rode." The Camber 29 ("base" model) handled me really quite well. I enjoyed the ride and it is responsible for me wanting a FS bike.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    And so it is "done." I ordered my 2013 Camber Comp (aluminum) last night. I am getting it in white and it will be upgraded to the new X0 Gripshift shifters. Spent just under $3K off my budget last night for the bike, shifters, new wireless computer (w/ cadence), some spare tubes (not rally for this bike) and a bottle cage. I am suppose to have it by the end of this week, AND the weather is suppose to be good though the next weekend (at least in the 60s), so there should be a ride on the new bike VERY quickly.

This will be the second best Christmas gift to date..... the first was my Trek 930 back in ~1996 that actually got me REALLY into mountain biking. I have my wife to thank BIG TIME for making this happen........ she is interested in riding now too, so there may be a new bike purchase by summer for her to go FS as well.... she is tiny though, so shopping for her will be MUCH easier.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

Like a BOSS
    And so it is "done." I ordered my 2013 Camber Comp (aluminum) last night. I am getting it in white and it will be upgraded to the new X0 Gripshift shifters. Spent just under $3K off my budget last night for the bike, shifters, new wireless computer (w/ cadence), some spare tubes (not rally for this bike) and a bottle cage. I am suppose to have it by the end of this week, AND the weather is suppose to be good though the next weekend (at least in the 60s), so there should be a ride on the new bike VERY quickly.

This will be the second best Christmas gift to date..... the first was my Trek 930 back in ~1996 that actually got me REALLY into mountain biking. I have my wife to thank BIG TIME for making this happen........ she is interested in riding now too, so there may be a new bike purchase by summer for her to go FS as well.... she is tiny though, so shopping for her will be MUCH easier.
    That's really awesome Knight... You've been waiting and researching for such a long time, I'm stoked that you get to enjoy the hell out of a new ride.

Don't forget to post some photos of the new ride!
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    ♦ Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Only one pic so far... any other time it has been off the rack, I have been on it. Just tooling around the neighborhood and field next to my house. Man... seriously a nice bike for me. I think this "in between" XC and FR/AM bike is going to be perfect for me in N. Texas.

2014 Trek Domane 4.0

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You can see the red ring for the sag on the rear shock... actually under 25% with the shock at 255-260 (shock said 260 when I unscrewed it and a little air came out). The auto-sag feature is nice and sets the sag perfectly, I just think I will be riding a little above that setting as I transition from an old school hard tail to a modern full suspension. First trail ride is Monday afternoon.... very busy weekend since I picked it up Friday morning...
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I for one weighed well north of 350 when i started my mtb adventures. At the time i ride a Kona Stinky, (04) and then a 03 specialized bighit. I put really stiff springs in the front and rear. If i remember correctly it was 650 or higher. I never had issues with bottoming the suspension unless it was over a 4' drop. Regardless of what people say, fat asses can go full suspension. I always rode coiled because i was afraid of the pressure required for air suspension.
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All that said i think I'm going to go 29 hard trail for my next bike (i wast something to climb with)
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am expecting a NomadC XL frame towards the end of this month (intl shipping takes too long), i also purchased a Vivid Air (MM tune) for the rear to replace the stock soft tuned RP23. I'm hoping i could make it work with the Vivid Air with my 280lbs + gear. It's getting my ol' Talas 36. I really hope i can do an all air setup with the NomadC.

My DHR has a 650lb spring at 30%-35% sag.
    Intense UZZI (sold the frame) was with a 600lb spring with about 30% sag (lotsa preload hehe)

mtbr member
    Currently entertaining buying a FS bike. I am a super-clyde @ 6'0 & 330 lbs. Ran across a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Pro FS in my local Craigslist ads. The only thing that makes me nervous is I'm not sure how the Rock Shox Bar rear shock would hold up. If I wanted to upgrade it, what would be reccomended?

Bike would be used for general trail riding, etc.

Here is the bike:

Fox Flux MTB Helmet mtn mountain bike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyMcWolfenstein View Post
    Currently entertaining buying a FS bike. I am a super-clyde @ 6'0 & 330 lbs. Ran across a 2006 Iron Horse Warrior Pro FS in my local Craigslist ads. The only thing that makes me nervous is I'm not sure how the Rock Shox Bar rear shock would hold up. If I wanted to upgrade it, what would be reccomended?

Bike would be used for general trail riding, etc.

Here is the bike:

Fox Flux MTB Helmet mtn mountain bike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Have you read anything about PUSH? (a company that tunes a rear shock according to your needs.)
    Push Industries - Products
    You can google too...there's a ton of info about them.
    You posted the wrong link for your bike...check it again.
    Looks like you have a splice fork on there...huh?
    Dunno right now how that will work out...but you'll prolly need an X-firm fork tune of some sort.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Welp, so much for that, the IH was sold. On to the next one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

CONGRATS!!!!! You've been searching for quite a while, glad you were finally able to pull the trigger. Have fun on the trails.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    After getting a few rides in on her, I will say that the Camber is an unspoken hero for clydes. I am totally in love with the bike. I really appreciate all of the input that has come from you folks and the forum.

FWIW, I run the Camber firmer than what I should by personal preference. I put 265psi in the rear shock (max on the Monarch is 275). If I push the auto-sag button, it adjusts down to the 25%. I run it at less than 25%... I am sure I will settle into the 25 as I get use to riding a FS. I am so happy I didn't listen to the folks telling me I should buy a hardtail... FS is SO nice as I am no longer beat up after a ride. The bike is way more able than I am, but I hope to grow my skills to match what she can do. I am going to buy Specialized's floor pump (Airtool UHP) for shocks.... hand pumps SUCK putting much pressure into a shock. A floor pump that easily puts out 350psi

Of course, it started raining right after I ordered the bike, so I have only had 2 rides on dirt with her, but she is even so much better tooling around the neighborhood playing around....
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    I send my fork out to Suspension Experts. When I weighted 310 My fork would bottom out all the time. I sent it to them cause I pumped so much pressure (140)into it, that I blew the seals... After calling around hey seemed to be the better choice. They modified the compression spring and did some other secret magic things. I have recently sent it in again due to that I am down to 238 and they revalued it again and it is perfect. They also did some other magic trick o the lock out that truly locks it out!!!
    Anyone remember the days when Signatures were called Taglines?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After getting a few rides in on her, I will say that the Camber is an unspoken hero for clydes. I am totally in love with the bike. I really appreciate all of the input that has come from you folks and the forum.

FWIW, I run the Camber firmer than what I should by personal preference. I put 265psi in the rear shock (max on the Monarch is 275). If I push the auto-sag button, it adjusts down to the 25%. I run it at less than 25%... I am sure I will settle into the 25 as I get use to riding a FS. I am so happy I didn't listen to the folks telling me I should buy a hardtail... FS is SO nice as I am no longer beat up after a ride. The bike is way more able than I am, but I hope to grow my skills to match what she can do. I am going to buy Specialized's floor pump (Airtool UHP) for shocks.... hand pumps SUCK putting much pressure into a shock. A floor pump that easily puts out 350psi

Of course, it started raining right after I ordered the bike, so I have only had 2 rides on dirt with her, but she is even so much better tooling around the neighborhood playing around....
    Any pics of your new ride yet? Have you had the chance to put her through the paces yet? Hoping I am able to ride again this year, Have fun with the new Camber!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstretcher View Post
    I send my fork out to Suspension Experts. When I weighted 310 My fork would bottom out all the time. I sent it to them cause I pumped so much pressure (140)into it, that I blew the seals... After calling around hey seemed to be the better choice. They modified the compression spring and did some other secret magic things. I have recently sent it in again due to that I am down to 238 and they revalued it again and it is perfect. They also did some other magic trick o the lock out that truly locks it out!!!
    Very cool man! Yeah, I had a really good experience with Suspension Experts. Before they tuned my fork I was beginning to have buyer's remorse for the super expensive bike I had just built up. But after the tuning by them the bike became so much fun to ride. It's also nice that they will work on, and feel confident about it, big mens' shocks and forks, unlike my experience with Push.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    Very cool man! Yeah, I had a really good experience with Suspension Experts. Before they tuned my fork I was beginning to have buyer's remorse for the super expensive bike I had just built up. But after the tuning by them the bike became so much fun to ride. It's also nice that they will work on, and feel confident about it, big mens' shocks and forks, unlike my experience with Push.
    Mason, I started this thread and I no longer even fit into the category.....If and when I can get healthy enough to start riding again, I am gonna have to completely resetup my ride and I had it so perfect. Oh well, that's life. Might be moving back to California, to San Rafael. Where do you typically ride. PM me if you want.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Any pics of your new ride yet? Have you had the chance to put her through the paces yet? Hoping I am able to ride again this year, Have fun with the new Camber!

That was taken this morning on my way to work (before this afternoon's ride). No trail pics... I never think about taking pics while I am out riding. I have had 6-7 rides on it (weather, allergies and life have not been cooperating), and I am more impressed every ride. I am still trying to get it dialed in a bit. I have the rear end working well, just trying to find the right sag on the fork. I am hoping to take her out tomorrow morning before it rains on what I call my "home" trail.

So yes, I still love my Camber and I know I will only be more and more happy as I lose weight and strengthen my skill set.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Not to be an ass my self but I feel like a broken record.....I did not nor did I ever ask how to set up someone's bike or to give me information on components, I asked if anyone out there in forum land who is over 300lbs has an "ACTUAL" Full Suspension bike that they own and ride. If they do, then would they kindly post what their successful suspension setup is. I have done searches and all the replies are like yours. TheMammothRider is one of the only guys on this forum who posted his build that works on this website, unfortunately he doesn't know the suspension specs because it was tuned for him, which is probably the best option. It would be nice if you had just one thread that had a list of working setups for Big Clydes so that they had a rock solid concrete starting point with variety of options to look at. Unfortunately this post is turning in to someone trying to give an opinion on a topic when you obviously do not have a full suspension bike that is set up successfully and at 270lbs........I WASN'T ASKING FOR A RESPONSE FROM YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE. It is frustrating when you ask for something specific and you get an opinion on something entirely else. To say there has been 10 posts this year......considering you cannot even understand what information this thread was originally looking for....I can see how you think that to be true.

AGAIN I ask the following:

"What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension? I would like to know what kind of bikes you have with Front and rear shock pressures or what pound coils you run. Thanks for the info! If you are kind enough to respond, please let me know just the specific frame and your suspension tuning setup that you are using. Thanks in advance for all your positive responses.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY IF YOU ARE NOT OVER 300LBS WITH A FULL SUSPENSION BIKE...
    i'm riding a 2006 Cannondale Prophet with a Fox RP2 on the rear. Set up at nearly 300psi and i weigh just over that with all my gear.

Looking at a new bike and having the same dilemma you were/are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SLS1980 View Post
    i'm riding a 2006 Cannondale Prophet with a Fox RP2 on the rear. Set up at nearly 300psi and i weigh just over that with all my gear.

Looking at a new bike and having the same dilemma you were/are.
    I ended up buying a 2011 Trek Scratch Air 9....had a Fox RP23 and added a Fox lrg volume spacer to increase the progressiveness at around 290psi when I was 315-320lbs. If you get a new bike, you might look into getting a Marzocchi Roco Air TST or WC shock...runs at a much lower air pressure. I ran mine at about 240psi at a bodyweight of 315lbs on the same bike. Look for a bike with a lower leverage ratio, check manufacturers recommended shock settings... If the bike requires shock pressures equal to or greater than the riders body weight, you will have trouble setting it up for you @ over 300lbs since the max psi is 300lbs for Fox and 275 for RS. Good luck with your new bike search.

Super Clyde

What Are Your Suspension Setups for Clydes over 300lbs with full suspension

How much is too much for a FS? Trek is doing a Demo close by, and I'm going to ride a Stache. Just for kicks and grins I'm going to ride a Fuel EX 29er. What happens if I like the Fuel? I'm 6 ft and 350 currently. I ride with a Camelback Mule, tube, multi tool, etc. etc. Should I even bother?

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just checked the Fuel EX8 29'ers Suspension set up Calculator on Treks website....at 249lbs it says to use 295psi in the rear shock. Almost 50psi over body weight so it doesn't seem like it would work for you.

mtbr member
    At 6 foot 325 loaded I was considering the Lenz Mammoth. It has a 2:1 leverage ratio . In conversation with Lenz they seem to feel this particular bike would work . Unfortunately there is no where here in Connecticut or remotely close to Connecticut to test one. I have also thought about the Yeti SB-95 with that trick switch suspension. Again no way to test ride one as their dealer network is small. Most dealers around here are Specialized, Trek and Giant dealers. So I also thought about building a FS using a Cane Creek double barrel. Has anyone had any experience with this shock?
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The 2:1 Leverage ratio sounds great on the Lenz, with regards to the DB, if its on the right frame I am sure its great. I am waiting to get a DB Air CS. A frame with a high leverage ratio would still not work. Oh, were you talking about the Air version or Coil version.....

mtbr member
    I was talking about all 3. Although I think the coil version would be a better choice. I really am a full suspension novice as I've always ridden hard tails. But I think my next bike will be the Lenz or the Yeti. I just checked and its a 6 hour ride for me to the nearest Lenz dealer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The only issue with coil is the max spring with Cane Creek is 600lbs. Plus to try different set-ups, you'll need a different spring each time. With Air shocks, you can easily add or release pressure until you find the right setup. Set-ups on the Yeti for the rear shock is rider weight minus 10lbs. So at 325lbs, you'll definitely have to use max pressure. Good luck with your search.

mtbr member
    That is great information! Thanks for doing the research.

mtbr member
    Well I emailed Yeti about their bikes and asked them about their weight limits on their frames and received the following response. I gather they are more like Specialized in the build. At least Trek goes to 275 on their bikes.

Hi Paul-

I'm afraid we don't make a frame that can safely handle a guy of your
    size. Although our frames are plenty strong, we only test them up to a
    250 lbs. weight limit.

Very sorry I can't help you out,

John
    John Pentecost// International Sales Manager
    Tel.// +1-303-278-6909 x1116

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerth View Post
    Well I emailed Yeti about their bikes and asked them about their weight limits on their frames and received the following response. I gather they are more like Specialized in the build. At least Trek goes to 275 on their bikes.

Hi Paul-

I'm afraid we don't make a frame that can safely handle a guy of your
    size. Although our frames are plenty strong, we only test them up to a
    250 lbs. weight limit.

Very sorry I can't help you out,

John
    John Pentecost// International Sales Manager
    Tel.// +1-303-278-6909 x1116
    go get a santa cruz i been on a heckler for 6 years i weigh 300 to 320 never been a problem im gettin a tallboy lt next

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm 6'2" 330lbs. I have a 2011 Intense Uzzi. I run a fox float 36 180mm at 110psi but it has been tuned by Push. In the rear I run both a cane creek db air and coil. The coil has a 600lb spring and the air I run 250psi. On both I run 35% sag.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice set-up, I love the Uzzi, it was between the Trek Scratch Air and the Uzzi when I bought my bike, chose the Scratch, just got a better deal. Any pics?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah its on my pink bike profile page. Here is the link:

GrtSaint72 on Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Since this thread was brought back from the dead thought I'd tell y'all about what I've learned about the longevity of custom tuned forks for use larger folk. Earlier in this thread I was all stoked after I sent my fork into Suspension Experts for a custom tune. Well, the fork was good for a little over a year. To tune the fork for me, the guys there built a custom return spring for me. On a ride back in Oct the fork started making really strange noises, like something was rubbing. Sent the fork in and sure enough, the return spring they made for me came out of true and started rubbing the inside walls of the fork. After other futile attempts of making another return spring that would work, they ended up taking the old fork in as a trade towards a Rockshox Pike which I got a really good price on. Still like the guys at Suspension Experts and recommend them, but now I know there's limitations to what can be done for us big guys.

As for the Pike, I think it's a great option for bigger riders. The amount of tuning you can do to make it work is great. I am running 2 of the tokens/spacers in it and my psi is way under the max and works like a champ. Only once have I really felt like I overwhelmed the fork but it was going through some really heavy chunk that I normally walk through. It'd be cool to hear if any other big dudes are having good luck with the Pike.

By the way Big Jizzee, are you sure you should be on here? Last I heard you were way under the 300lb mark. Haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    LOL Masonmoa, Unfortunately I am back at 300.....only by a few pounds. This time it's a bad 300lbs. Just thought I'd revive the thread because its does have some good info in it. As always you have great insight into the full suspension superclyde.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The other thing I thought I'd mention is that for now I'm done with Fox suspension. I've got the CCDBA CS on my bike now, with the Pike up front, and it's so much better than my old Fox DHX Air. I liked Fox for a long time before I'd tried something else. The DBA is so tunable and feels so much smoother in that it doesn't feel like it's trying to buck me off on the bigger hits. It is a ***** to tune at first though.

Well JZ, I've lost 20lbs since Sept and what's funny about it is that I lost it after I stopped working out at the gym because of a shoulder injury. Just been riding and walking/hiking. I can really feel the difference on my rides and am working my way down to 300 hopefully. 285-290 would be ideal. At least it sounds like you're healthy again and getting back into biking. Trying to figure out some new suspension?

mtbr member
    My favorite bike to date is a steel hardtail with rigid carbon fork. Rides like a dream, even at 320+ pounds.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    The other thing I thought I'd mention is that for now I'm done with Fox suspension. I've got the CCDBA CS on my bike now, with the Pike up front, and it's so much better than my old Fox DHX Air. I liked Fox for a long time before I'd tried something else. The DBA is so tunable and feels so much smoother in that it doesn't feel like it's trying to buck me off on the bigger hits. It is a ***** to tune at first though.
    I heard so many people telling me that I "needed" to get fox at my size. After a year on my Reba and Monarch, I have NO COMPLAINTS. They fork and shock have been a dream. I would like to upgrade to a Pike (who wouldn't?), but that will have to wait a while longer.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Definitely would like to try out a RS Pike out front and a CCDB Air CS in the rear. In the end, I may just try a different frame and swap parts over if I decide to try to go with a bit less travel. Norcal is just so different than riding in Mass.

mtbr member
    Hi everybody.....I too used suspension experts....I'm riding a 13 norco sight 650b, rockshox sector up front (205psi....max limit 225psi) fox vanilla Rc coil in rear (800x2.30spring sis expert modified) freaking looooove it.....wait for it......my weight was 6'6 385lb when I started riding it , now down to 320lbs...style aggressive trail, super easy dh ...lol. Hope this helps someone.. Cheers

mtbr member
    I too was told I couldn't ride fs.. The folks over at suspension expert just told me to stay away from frames that align rear shocks with top tube cause of leverage issues, stay with the uprite designs ...haven't had a problem yet , 2yrs and running , I've even been learning to do drops . 5' being the biggest I've done to date

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DABIGSEAT View Post
    I too was told I couldn't ride fs.. The folks over at suspension expert just told me to stay away from frames that align rear shocks with top tube cause of leverage issues, stay with the uprite designs ...haven't had a problem yet , 2yrs and running

This helps me a lot. Thank you

mtbr member
    When I was 320-ish pounds (about 40+ pounds less now, thankfully), I became too heavy for my first-gen Ibis Mojo, so I got a 2011 Niner RIP9. It's served me very well.

Basically:
    - Front and rear through axles are mandatory
    - Buying a bike renowned for lateral stiffness is the only way to go
    - Getting a custom shock and fork tune from PUSH helped a lot

The bike was rideable and fun stock, but since air shocks tend to lose some of their plushness at high air pressures, getting a custom tune helped a lot. Before, it always felt like I had to wallow on the climbs to make the downs enjoyable, or have good climbing and not really get much out of the shock. The tune gave me back that range.

HTH

Clydesdale Gear
    While not over 300#, I'm hovering around 275 now, and my v1 Tallboy C has been spectacular with the following setup. No need to send to PUSH/Avalanche/similar.

120 Pike RCT3 (Awesome fork!):
    105 psi
    Low Speed Compression 8 clicks from full open
    Rebound 8 clicks from full open

Fox Kashima CTD:
    275 psi
    CTD lever to Trail
    Trail mode soft
    Rebound 8 clicks from full open

One thing I found that was surprising was how much more predictable the suspension became when I put a proper set of wheels on my bike. After building up a set of 28mm internal Carbon Nextie hoops laced to DT 350s, the suspension was much easier to tune since I didn't have flexy wheels squirming around under me disguising my tuning efforts.
    Clydesdale Gear
    www.razorhoof.com

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    After 3 years on my Camber with the RS Reba, it is time to have the bushings replaced.

I am still riding the same 3 bikes.... no problems with OEM wheels on the Camber or rear suspension. The Reba is the first real issue on the bike.
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Finally got rid of my Trek Scratch Air 9, and picked up an Intense Tracer 275, runs on low shock pressures, and is a bit easier to ride, climbing on the Scratch since back in California hasn't been much fun.....still loved that bike though.

mtbr member
    Currently on a Cannondale Lefty, a Niner Carbon rigid, a carbon Cannondale road fork, and soon to be on a carbon Cannondale cx fork. All hardtails.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    While not currently at the specified weight, I have run my current setup that heavy, all geared up.

I've had great luck with the Fox 34 EVO fork up front BUT..... I replaced the damper with a 2016 Fit4 which made a world of difference. It has a TON of adjustability on the compression damping, enough that I don't need custom tuning and it was $220 straight from Fox. I also added a couple Ccs of oil to the air side to increase ramp up a little. Even at my weight, it has great small bump sensitivity, great mid stroke support, little brake dive, and great bottom out resistance. Just a couple modifications took it from one of the worst forks ever made to something that will easily compete with a Pike. The through axle helps a lot, allowing the 34mm stanchions to be more than enough for my weight.

On the rear I use a Cane Creek Inline. It has worked very well once I learned to tune. Unfortunately my bike has a near 3:1 leverage ratio in the beginning of the stroke and goes down to the 2.5 range as it's compressed. When I was heavier and needed just a little more rebound than it could give, I would barely turn on the climb switch. Cane Creek has said the switch is made to be used in between on and off, it's just not advertised. Turning it on just a little gives slightly more compression damping but really turns up the rebound which was the only place it slightly lacked at my heavyweight weight.

Almost forgot, the bike is a '14 Giant Trance SX. Somehow the 1650g wheels have survived no problem. The frame has had no problem with drops and general hard riding and even a wreck. I have been told that I ride "light" for a bigger guy so maybe that helps.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuickGN View Post
    While not currently at the specified weight, I have run my current setup that heavy, all geared up.

I've had great luck with the Fox 34 EVO fork up front BUT..... I replaced the damper with a 2016 Fit4 which made a world of difference. It has a TON of adjustability on the compression damping, enough that I don't need custom tuning and it was $220 straight from Fox. I also added a couple Ccs of oil to the air side to increase ramp up a little. Even at my weight, it has great small bump sensitivity, great mid stroke support, little brake dive, and great bottom out resistance. Just a couple modifications took it from one of the worst forks ever made to something that will easily compete with a Pike. The through axle helps a lot, allowing the 34mm stanchions to be more than enough for my weight.

On the rear I use a Cane Creek Inline. It has worked very well once I learned to tune. Unfortunately my bike has a near 3:1 leverage ratio in the beginning of the stroke and goes down to the 2.5 range as it's compressed. When I was heavier and needed just a little more rebound than it could give, I would barely turn on the climb switch. Cane Creek has said the switch is made to be used in between on and off, it's just not advertised. Turning it on just a little gives slightly more compression damping but really turns up the rebound which was the only place it slightly lacked at my heavyweight weight.

Almost forgot, the bike is a '14 Giant Trance SX. Somehow the 1650g wheels have survived no problem. The frame has had no problem with drops and general hard riding and even a wreck. I have been told that I ride "light" for a bigger guy so maybe that helps.
    Hey buickgn ...does the gn stand for " Grand National"...just curious....was a childhood memory,, my dad used to street race his grand sport vs grand national....was always back n fourth...lol....ok back to business I'm running a secktor fork (stock) so far no issues, Lil squealing on hard hits.... And in rear fox van coil 800x2.30 spring ...love it!!!! Riding norco sight 6'5 ,347lbs... I like that fox 34 Tho nice and stiff ...no flex zone!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    hi their guys this fourm has so much information its very good and i hope biking manufactures take notes on us bigger men that are active and take inconsideration of us as part of their community! im fairly new to biking but been riding since i was a kid im no stranger on 2 wheels and still can tos my self like a teenager and feel young for my age and weight. im in the market for a newer full suspension bike that i can drop a few pounds on and grow into and be able to shred down a hill later on down the line. im 6'3 315-320lbs farily athletic still and just turned 30 years young. i used to be heavier but ive been trying and ive want to take on biking mostly trail riding where i live in coarse gold ca.im riddled with trails everywhere hills and ect. and i think biking would be great to get back in shape and drop a few lbs and pick up my next hobby. if you guys can help that be great. my budget is 3,500$ usd and im was looking at trek remedy 8 or canyon strive cr 8.0 want something with some travel but all info would be great. thanks guys and mtbr

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    My advice: Do what I did..I'm only 260 but have broken somewhere around 13 frames at this point, all aluminum. I went with Waltworks...steel, full custom, will build you any style and geo your heart desires. My 29+ 160mm travel FS has 425 mm chainstays, and I'm 7 feet, so I imagine he could get em even shorter for your size. Ludicrous amounts of fun, by far the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. His pricing is less for a frame plus shock than most of the big brands. Really cool guy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast