mtbr member
    Apr 2006

At what weight do I need to think "special bike stuff?"

I am getting back into MB and am purchasing a new bike. I'm not that big (6', short legs) and not all that heavy (220 lbs) but I still feel like I may be in the "take careful consideration of your weight when purchasing" category.

Am I? Heck, last time I bought a bike it was a trek 970--great bike--and I was only 200 pounds. Do i need to worry about unusual frame flex, etc?

I'm looking for an AM hardtail in the $1200 *MAX* range, and have yet to make the decision on a 29er (never tried one).

Comments appreciated.

Dirt Deviant
    I'm close to 300lbs and slowly dropping.
    At my weight I really need to be careful of what wheels I use.
    On my AM bike 6" travel FS I use heavy wheels. Sun Str8 Tracks.
    On my XC bike 5" travel FS I use FR wheels. LOCO's.
    On my long travel hardtail I use Transition Revolution 32h wheels.
    Running the heavy duty wheels, I don't feel like I have any constraints on the type of riding I can do. I like to jump and hit drops whenever there is one available.
    I also tend to put heavier duty stems, bars and seatposts on all my bikes.
    Sunline AM stems are the shizzle. Easton Vice are also cool. My fav is my Transition Temple Lite stem.

If you're looking to build up an AM hardtail (good choice btw) I'd say as long as you are getting some decent AM wheels, you should be good to go.

My AM hardtail is a 2009 On One Inbred with a Manitou Minute Absolute 140mm IT fork. Hella fun bike. You can get a frame pretty cheap too.

I also run 203mm front and 185mm rear rotors on all my bikes. At your weight I would run at least 185f and 160r depending on your riding style and type of brakes.
    Hayes strokers and elixirs are my favs. Totally different feel between the 2. The elixirs are more powerful by quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I don't think you need to worry much. I'm about your size but heavier, 6' tall and 237lbs last week. I don't ride particularly hard, but the only weight related issue I have had is a harsh ride on my Trek FuelEX8 because of the high air pressure in the shock and fork. As for a bike I like Kona but my riding is more XC than AM.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

Optimum Value
    For your weight, the only thing you really would have to worry about is setting the tire pressure, and shock air pressure to a good value to avoid pinch flats and for the right sag. As for the wheels, which are more likely to come out of true for a heavier rider, you will have to find a balance between weight/strength/price as does every other component on the bike. But the emphasis is on buying good wheels. I am approaching the same weight as you and I am riding 1800g 24 hole FSA XC-300 wheels. So far it has not come out of true at all. I have over 240 miles on it from this month, and it is holding up great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks, folks.

It's helpful information. I really ride XC more than AM--my wheels tend tos tay on the ground, generally speaking--but I had already decided to go with an AM build just for the beefiness. Given my gut, the couple of pounds don't matter Still I hadn't really pegged whether I was going to be able to get by on a normal AM bike or whether I needed up yet again to something like a Kona Hoss, etc. I'm glad i will be able to get by on the normal stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i started riding my Giant Rincon at 325 now im 289 and it still rides like a champ.. i mean im not taking it off crazy jumps or anything so that may be why its still in 1 peice. Anyway i was worried about teh same thing but at 220 im sure ur ok riding anything..

mtbr member
    And for counterpoint, i'm 220lbs as well, 230 with cloak, scythe, and anything else i might wear. I ride trails. In the last 3 years i've broken...

3 frames
    2 rims
    2 hubs
    2 crank arms
    1 headset
    1 fork
    1 pedal
    2 saddles
    3 shifters
    3 brake levers
    1 caliper
    1 rotor
    1 seat post
    1 front derailer
    5 derailer hangers (and i bend them straight if i can)
    4? chains (every single sram one)

You can guess what was crash damage and what wasn't up to the task.

It's more about how you ride. I buy high quality no-frills durable parts now, and my parts consumption has declined considerably. I don't particularly notice weight, but i notice poor performance, flex, and broken.