mtbr member
    Sep 2012

what to wear when riding trails.

I was wondering what everyone wears when doing trails.

I keep getting bug bites on my legs and am leary of wearing my shots because of poison ivy but I cannot ride in anything but shorts, i LOVE my shorts! I would wear shorts 24/7 if possible but my states weather does not permit this.

I was thinking of maybe wearing under armor pants and long sleeve shirt under my shorts and tshirt? Would this look ridiculous?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateProperty View Post
    I was wondering what everyone wears when doing trails.

I keep getting bug bites on my legs and am leary of wearing my shots because of poison ivy but I cannot ride in anything but shorts, i LOVE my shorts! I would wear shorts 24/7 if possible but my states weather does not permit this.

I was thinking of maybe wearing under armor pants and long sleeve shirt under my shorts and tshirt? Would this look ridiculous?

Who cares what it looks like if it works for you. I have terrible eczema on my legs so I hate exposing them in public. I often wear long under armor under my shorts as you described. It has the added benefit of keeping the nasty overgrowth from whipping away at your bare skin.

Yes it's a bit warmer most of the time, but which is more uncomfortable to you? That's what really matters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what Mochunk said, what ever works for you. I don't care about my legs so I wear shorts, and yes they are spandex bike shorts with a bike jersy top. Full XC style tried the baggies but don't like them much. Only on cold rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You should get the body suit that looks like you have tatoos everywhere. Or maybe a zebra or other animal pattern?

Talk to me, Goose.
    Bugs get pretty bad here so spray my legs down good with Deet bug spray. As far as the poison ivy.. this wouldn't help you at all. I've seen some of the ankle length leggings on Amazon that are designed for sun protection instead of warmth.. they would probably be perfect for what you are doing..
    We can't stop here, this is bat country..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would avoid the Under Amour pants, if they're baggy around the ankles, unless you can keep them from getting caught in your chainrings or snagging on the front derailleur. I usually wear black fleece-lined tights under my bike shorts when it gets colder. It sounds like you're in a warmer area. I would try some lightweight leggings, maybe the Under Armour HeatGear line.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Yeah, the heatgear style leggings is what I was talking about. I had a pair I wore under my leathers for motorcycling. Helped the most on trackdays. All the moving around on the bike lets the leathers move around and not stick you, plus the extra sweat barrier.

These transfered to biking rather well also. I just picked up some cheap tekgear or whatever leggings at kohls to wear when its chilly out, and had them on yesterday on my first time through some gnarly local trails for about two hours of nonstop riding. It was in the 80's at one point and I was still quite comfy. They breath very well when moving. They were invaluable when I took one narrow trail with tons of overgrowth.

mtbr member
    I wear cycling tights under baggie shorts when the weather gets too chilly for shorts.

Tights that look like tiger stripes would be great. You'd be both a predator on the trails and well camouflaged (you know, for gazelles)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wear what you want. For myself, shorts (non-biking) in the summer, old skool sweatpants with the elastic in the ankle in the winter. T-shirts, most days, and if it is really hot, I splurge on budget performance fabric. I hate the whole 'look good, ride good' philosophy, and think more on the 'be comfortable, ride comfortable' kind of thing. Save the money for a nice(r) bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ride with spandex shorts from Nashbar and random clothes from Walmart, Marshall's, or Old Navy. I will recommend that you stay away from anything cotton.

Old navy has some nice cheap "active" shirts. Short and long sleeve and they come in clyde sizes. I wear some thin Champion shorts from walmart over my spandex bike shorts.

For winter i wear a mix of poly long underwear or nike running tights (from marshalls) along with my spandex shorts and outer shorts. I also bought a cheap windbreaker from walmart and cut off the arms to act as a windstop vest in winter, front zipper acts as cooling control.

All my clothes serve one purpose, keep me warm and or comfortable. I got random colors everywhere, my wife laughs at me everytime I take off cause I look like a homeless person, but they work

mtbr member
    Just got an email from HuckNRoll that they are going out of business they have a 50% off special. Time to stock up on riding wear.

mtbr member
    Backcountry.com has all the same stuff and prices. It looks like they're just getting rid of that domain name.

Suckin wind like a boss
    my HNR spam said they were changing to competitive cyclist, and thats where the spam comes from now? is that also part of backcountry?
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    LL Bean is having a 10% sale this weekend and I stocked up on merino wool long sleeved shirts.
    2011 Jamis Durango 1.0 Femme
    2005 KHS T&C commuter bike

mtbr member
    Knee warmers. You'll get almost full leg coverage.

Carbon or Commie?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You should get the body suit that looks like you have tatoos everywhere. Or maybe a zebra or other animal pattern?
    I like this idea - and it will embarrass the hell out of my kids

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz1024 View Post
    I like this idea - and it will embarrass the hell out of my kids
    Part of riding is all the ridicuoulous clothes you can wear. Look at road riding perfect excuse to look like a total toolbag!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain48 View Post
    Part of riding is all the ridicuoulous clothes you can wear. Look at road riding perfect excuse to look like a total toolbag!

mtbr member
    Need I say more?