Thread: What upgrade?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

What upgrade?

Well I just got a GF Marlin last year, and I put Avid BB7's on it. The bike is running fine, but I'm going to have a little extra money and I'm thinking about doing an upgrade.

I was pretty much set on upgrading the forks on the bike, the bike currently has a Axel Comp which I upgraded the spring in, but I still find that this fork bobs and dives alot under my weight (6' 1" 250 lbs) I was looking at either a Reba or White Brothers 1.0XC I figure these would be alot stiffer the what I've got.

However to throw a wrench in my plans, when I was cleaning up my bike last night, I noticed that I have a broken spoke in the back and an extremely loose spoke in the front. I'm going to have to make a trip to the shop to fix this up. (the loose one I could probably do myself, but replacing one I can't partly because I don't have any) Anyways this got me thinking about the wheels, would the money be better spent on getting a new set of Clyde friendly wheels? I don't have tons to spend but I might be able to get a decent set.

Or do I get the spokes replaced and get the fork, and ride the wheels unless they can't be fixed?

Freshly Fujified

Some fellow clyde advice

First off, go to the LBS, have them look at the wheelset and make any adjustments or repairs necessary to get your wheels back in shape. Second, sell off the Axel, and put on a Reba or another fork that has 32 mm stanchions. This should help. As for a wheelset recommendation, I would say you have a few options in the sub-$200 range. I bought a set of hand built 3x laced 36 hole Rhynolites with XT hubs for $160 shipped. Other than two spokes I had to replace and a truing (both as a result of my derailleur getting sucked into the spokes). They have held up very well. You can cut that price by about $15.00 if you go with Deore hubs. Here's a link to the set I bought:

http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/me...egory_Code=DBW

Again, there are many more options I'm sure, but if you're budget conscious, this is a nice set. Hand built is the way to go, and I like having the 36 spokes. Others will tell you that a good hand built set of 32 spokes will suffice.

Best wishes in finding a good set of wheels, and definitely ditch that Axel. 28.6 mm stanchions for guys our size just don't cut it.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Awesome, I was kinda hoping you would chime in, you always seem to have pretty good advice, and you seem to be reasonable with the budget level items as well.

So first things first, I'm taking the wheels to the shop, and having them fix them up so that I can ride, then the next thing is going to be the fork, I'm pretty sure I know what I'll get just waiting on the money.

The wheels are going to stay on my list, thanks for the link, looks like a good price, not sure how well it would translate for me to have them shipped to canada but I'm sure I could find someone to put a set like that together for me.

Freshly Fujified

Buy the wheels in Canada

There are probably good resources close to you where you won't have to hassle with the import duties, and processes associated with buying from the US. Ask the bike shop where you're having the work done on the spokes about having them build the wheels. Make sure you ask questions. I'm having a set built for my hardtail and I spoke (no pun intended) directly with the mechanic about how many wheelsets he's built, what guage spoke recommendation for my weight, what cross pattern, etc. I already knew SOME of the answers, but wanted to see if he knew what he was talking about. I felt comfortable enough with his answers that I gave him the job.

Check online, too and ask around in the Canada forum closest to where you live and see if someone can give you a personal recommendation.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery