Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

What type of bike should a big guy get?

Hey guys and gals, I'm new here and looking to get back into mountain bike riding. I'm 6 ft 5 in, 350 lbs currently, wanting to get back in shape. I plan on using the bike for commuting as well as taking it to the trails. I've been looking at a few different bikes and talking to different people. From my understanding a 29'er is basically easier to ride and maintain speed, but I've been told that I could be too big for one. So I went back to looking at 26'ers. So far I am pretty much liking some Trek's and Giant's. Like the Fuel EX 8, Remedy 8, and Rumblefish Elite (only 29'er I really like) for Trek. For Giant I am looking at the Trance X1 and Reign 1. Does anyone have any feedback on which might be the all around best bike for a big guy like myself to pick up? Thanks in advance for any information you have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I would say a hardtail would be the best starter bike. A full suspension bike would not be the best choice, not until you lost some weight. I would also recommend a 36 hole wheelset. I would say a Giant Revel would be a good start, the model with the disc brakes which is around $500.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You can cross the Rumblefish off the list because of the rear shock. I am ~310 and the RF was a horrible bike for my weight much less yours. The Fuel EX8/7 may be a problem as well because the DRCV rear shock takes much more pressure than a non-DRCV... that said, the Fuel EX6 has a non-DRCV shock and may be more appropriate.

29 vs 26. It is more about wheel strength than anything else. Plan on building new wheels for either size because the OEM wheels are pretty awful with fellas our size. A good, strong wheel set will keep you riding instead of repairing.

Hardtail. Some will say that a hardtail is your only choice... some of us like to argue against that. I will say that you may have a harder time with full suspension bikes form the big 3 (Trek, Giant, Spec). There are other mfgs out there that are more clyde friendly (Turner, Ventura, etc), but they come at a price.

If you are looking at a bike to lose weight on with minimal headaches and yet a front shock that is air so you can actually get a decent spring rate, look to the Trek Cobia. ~$1000 and it comes with a Recon Gold. Most bikes at or below this price from other brands come with a metal coil based front shock.... you are too big for these cheap-o coil shocks. The Cobia also comes in a 23" frame which you may need at you height. Trek Cobia and have a strong set of 36 hole wheels (Stans Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and 14g spokes would be an EXCELLENT choice IMHO) built for you and you will have a bike that is a great starter bike as well as a bike that will be a good bike as you progress down this path.

I did a LOT of shopping and soul searching before buying my bike (2013 Specialized Camber Comp). It handles my weight really well and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bike.... the less you weigh, the better a FS bike will be... so spending less now to get into better shape for a FS later may be an excellent way to go.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    You can cross the Rumblefish off the list because of the rear shock. I am ~310 and the RF was a horrible bike for my weight much less yours. The Fuel EX8/7 may be a problem as well because the DRCV rear shock takes much more pressure than a non-DRCV... that said, the Fuel EX6 has a non-DRCV shock and may be more appropriate.

29 vs 26. It is more about wheel strength than anything else. Plan on building new wheels for either size because the OEM wheels are pretty awful with fellas our size. A good, strong wheel set will keep you riding instead of repairing.

Hardtail. Some will say that a hardtail is your only choice... some of us like to argue against that. I will say that you may have a harder time with full suspension bikes form the big 3 (Trek, Giant, Spec). There are other mfgs out there that are more clyde friendly (Turner, Ventura, etc), but they come at a price.

If you are looking at a bike to lose weight on with minimal headaches and yet a front shock that is air so you can actually get a decent spring rate, look to the Trek Cobia. ~$1000 and it comes with a Recon Gold. Most bikes at or below this price from other brands come with a metal coil based front shock.... you are too big for these cheap-o coil shocks. The Cobia also comes in a 23" frame which you may need at you height. Trek Cobia and have a strong set of 36 hole wheels (Stans Flow EX rims with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and 14g spokes would be an EXCELLENT choice IMHO) built for you and you will have a bike that is a great starter bike as well as a bike that will be a good bike as you progress down this path.

I did a LOT of shopping and soul searching before buying my bike (2013 Specialized Camber Comp). It handles my weight really well and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bike.... the less you weigh, the better a FS bike will be... so spending less now to get into better shape for a FS later may be an excellent way to go.
    Right on thanks for all the good info. Yeah, I figure I can get close to 300 lbs here shortly (as long as the DB Outlook I'm borrowing holds up). Back when I used to work at Staples we had a "Bike for the Month of May" contest, during that time I lost around 40 lbs. This was a good 5 years ago though, so I put it all back on and then some.

I went down to my local shop the other day and they put me on the Fuel EX 7 and I didn't bog it out too bad even on descend mode (which I wouldn't use that much anyway), so I figured the Remedy or Reign would be a lil better. Not sure if more travel is a good thing with us clydes, but I thought it might be. I haven't riden one yet, but I have looked at the Specialized Enduro Evo (figured a coil spring would hold me). I'll have to check out these other brands you mentioned. As far as my price range I'd say under 3.5k is my limit. I kinda want to replace my car with a bike, so I figure I might as well get a good one.

I tried to look at dual sports and road bikes, but yeah... not BMF friendly at all. So I'm not even gonna try that route anytime soon. If I could stay away from a HT I'd love it, but if I must get one as long as it's a good one that'll last I guess it wouldn't hurt. I was also told that for big guys Fox suspension is better than Rock Shox suspension. But I have no idea how true this is, I just know Fox has a pretty sweet replacement policy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you are bent on getting a full suspension, look at Foes. There shocks are massive and have a lower leverage ratio. Most rear shocks cannot really handle a 300+ person. I am 270 geared up and I only have to put 125psi in it and most other shocks you would have to max it out. They are over built especially for big guys. You can buy used ones pretty cheap. I have had a Ventana and they are great bikes but the shock is the weak point. Try finding a frame with a Cane Creek double barrel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    If you are bent on getting a full suspension, look at Foes. There shocks are massive and have a lower leverage ratio. Most rear shocks cannot really handle a 300+ person. I am 270 geared up and I only have to put 125psi in it and most other shocks you would have to max it out. They are over built especially for big guys. You can buy used ones pretty cheap. I have had a Ventana and they are great bikes but the shock is the weak point. Try finding a frame with a Cane Creek double barrel.
    Alright, good to know. Thanks for the tip. I looked at Yeti and Santa Cruz, but I don't think I wanna spend 4k plus just yet. I found a HT, but I don't know if it'll handle me. Here it is...

MARIN BIKES**|** Mountain HT**|**29er **|**Indian Fire Trail 29er

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    That should be a fine HT.... but again.... you will need better wheels. OEM wheels are a compromise of weight with a little strength... our weight will beat their strength on a trail. Riding on the road and not doing curb hopping and crap, OEM wheels will be just fine.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That should be a fine HT.... but again.... you will need better wheels. OEM wheels are a compromise of weight with a little strength... our weight will beat their strength on a trail. Riding on the road and not doing curb hopping and crap, OEM wheels will be just fine.
    So where can I find a good wheelset for BMF's like us, and what would be the best mid price range ones?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I really want this... Trek Bicycle

But I have no idea what I'd have to do to make it more BMF friendly, until I get under 300 again.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You will have to have a set built. ProWheelBuilder is one place online, but your LBS would be a good choice too. As for the Marin bikes, the Indian Fire and Nail Trail are VERY similar... looks like the wheelset and cranks are the only real differences. $300 in your pocket to buy a better wheel set.

As for wheels... considering I have been told the Salsa Gordo 29 has been discontinued, I would look to the Stans Flow EX rim, Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and 14g spokes. 36 spoke count will help distribute the load. That set up will run ~$600.... thus the reason why saving $300 on the bike may be good, it just depends on how you feel.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You would REALLY want to find one to get one and air up the shock. In my shopping, the DRCV did not prove to be friendly to me...

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBroccoli View Post
    I really want this... Trek Bicycle

But I have no idea what I'd have to do to make it more BMF friendly, until I get under 300 again.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: What type of bike should a big guy get?

You will have to have a set built. ProWheelBuilder is one place online, but your LBS would be a good choice too. As for the Marin bikes, the Indian Fire and Nail Trail are VERY similar... looks like the wheelset and cranks are the only real differences. $300 in your pocket to buy a better wheel set.

As for wheels... considering I have been told the Salsa Gordo 29 has been discontinued, I would look to the Stans Flow EX rim, Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and 14g spokes. 36 spoke count will help distribute the load. That set up will run ~$600.... thus the reason why saving $300 on the bike may be good, it just depends on how you feel.
    Alright I'll take a look at it, thanks for looking out. I'm coming to the realization that I'm going to need 2 different bikes. A HT and a FS AM bike.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

You would REALLY want to find one to get one and air up the shock. In my shopping, the DRCV did not prove to be friendly to me...
    I mean I guess if I had to I could look at the Remedy/Fuel EX 7 since they only have rear DRCV.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What are our thoughts on this HT? Stache 8 - Trek Bicycle

I'm trying to find bikes that come with Fox forks stock at least, since I'd upgrade to those anyway.

mtbr member
    For wheels, send Larry from Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels an email and get a quote. When I was shopping for my wheels, nobody had better price than him ($680 plus shipping for Flow with 36 DT spokes and Chris King hubs), besides Wiggle for Flow with Hope hubs.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    This is pretty much the last thing I can think of, being that it has a coil spring (that says it'll hold 550 lbs on the large frame).

Specialized Bicycle Components

MaverickMotoMedia.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Alright so after a long night of reading I have probably done the smart thing and decided against the FS bike for now. You guys are right (in no matter what thread you post in), my ass is too big for those poor components right now. Hopefully I can get down to under 300 again and then I'll worry about going big on trails.

I just wanted to see about only getting one bike instead of 2-3, haha. I guess it's time to find a beefy HT XC/Trail bike, wheel size doesn't really matter. Just not sure if I'd crack a carbon frame or not at my heft.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I'd say if I can ride a carbon frame and won't crack it. This is pretty perfect for my under 3k budget.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...1/11512/55869/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Giants are great bikes and I have had many of them. My hardtail is carbon and I am pretty aggressive with it. I am really careful about the type of terrain I take it because of my size. I have Flow EX rims on it and having some Pacenti Tl28 rims built for the Foes. Check in the Pacenti wheels, they are 28mm outer wide, which is wider and lighter than a flow. They are also eyeleted which makes a wheel stronger unlike the flow.

Down the road you can buy a FS frame and swap out the parts off the Giant onto a new frame if you want to go that route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Giants are great bikes and I have had many of them. My hardtail is carbon and I am pretty aggressive with it. I am really careful about the type of terrain I take it because of my size. I have Flow EX rims on it and having some Pacenti Tl28 rims built for the Foes. Check in the Pacenti wheels, they are 28mm outer wide, which is wider and lighter than a flow. They are also eyeleted which makes a wheel stronger unlike the flow.

Down the road you can buy a FS frame and swap out the parts off the Giant onto a new frame if you want to go that route.
    Right on, thanks. Yeah I've kinda narrowed it down to either the Giant XTC-C 29'er 1, SC Chameleon, Stumpy Evo 29 and Trek Stache 8. Not too sure which one would be the beefiest route to go but they both look nice. I know wheels are probably going to be my main upgrade, so I was trying to find bikes with decent forks already.

When it comes time for a FS, I was kinda looking at the SC Nomad and some of the ones I've mentioned earlier still. But the Nomad might be the route I go, unless something else looks better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The Santa Cruz is the beefiest of the bikes you mentioned. That bike is designed to do it all. You can do drops, jump it or just some basic single track. I am not a fan of Specialized due to there business practices, Treks warranty policy just changed and it is a pain to get something warrantied. The Cruz is the best bet and it is made by Giant so you know it is a quality frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The Santa Cruz is the beefiest of the bikes you mentioned. That bike is designed to do it all. You can do drops, jump it or just some basic single track. I am not a fan of Specialized due to there business practices, Treks warranty policy just changed and it is a pain to get something warrantied. The Cruz is the best bet and it is made by Giant so you know it is a quality frame.
    Alright, looks like that's the route I'll go then. Just have to figure out if the Fox 32 Float CTD Adjust FIT 130's are worth the extra $$$ from the regular 32 Float CTD 130's. Takes it from about 2.1k to 2.7k...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I would go with the standard float 130 ctd, for the extra $600 you can buy a nice set of wheels. You can always up grade the cartridge later if you feel you really need it. According to the Fox website they only offer those forks in a 120 or 140 mm travel. Are you getting the yellow or blue frame? You also can get custom colors and decals on those also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Not sure yet. I'm leaning towards the yellow, but a custom color would be boss. I think you're right, pocket the 600 bucks. Grab the R-AM setup package with 120-130mm forks. Unless of course by the time taxes get here I am below 300 again, then I might just have to go back to looking at the Nomad or Reign.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast