Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll

14 37.84%

2 5.41%

21 56.76%
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

What size wheels do you guys prefer?

I started on a 29er and that's all I've ridden. I'm considering getting an AM bike to replace my XC bike and I'm exploring 26/27.5 wheels. I know it's all preference but I thought I might get more meaningful opinions for the best wheel size from bigger guys like myself.

I can't say I'd look forward to giving up any rollover capability of a 29" wheel, but better handling would be nice. I'm 6'6" 240...

Anyway, what's your fav wheel size?

mtbr member
    Still on 26" here. 6'5 250. I've been on a few 29ers but I don't like how they handled the
    Colorado mountain climbs, rocks, and tight singletrack. I've seen a few riders rip it up on 29ers here, and have seen the same from the 26er crowd also. And I've seen the SS 29er riders struggle big time. I'm conflicted and looking forward to a demo day to give it another go. But I'll stick to my 5" FS 26er for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do you find out about demo days? I know I'm being cheap but I don't want to shell out $100 to test ride a bike. I'm assuming demo days are free trail test rides? Riding a mountain bike in a bike shops parking lot is pretty worthless but the only free method of testing I'm aware of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    How do you find out about demo days? I know I'm being cheap but I don't want to shell out $100 to test ride a bike. I'm assuming demo days are free trail test rides? Riding a mountain bike in a bike shops parking lot is pretty worthless but the only free method of testing I'm aware of.
    Yes, Demo days are when the bike companies bring a fleet of bikes to the trails and you hop on one and go at it. Haven't had any here N. Colorado for a few years now, it seems. A good chance to check them out though. Other choice is the buddy system, friend or a cooperative LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Sweet, I'll have to look out for those. Interested to see what the rest of clydesdale crew MTBR has to say about their favorite wheel size.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I was faster on a 29er XC hardtail the first time I descended on it on my local trail that I had ridden hundreds of times on my Giant Reign, and it wasn't really close. I have sold all of my serious 26" mountain bikes (still have a couple vintage GT's) and I feel no need to downsize my wheelsize anytime soon. The big wheels just flat out work better for me, not to mention I don't feel like I'm riding a tiny bike with a freak-frame.

There are a fair number of heavy duty 29ers out there to look at, but I would still advocate riding as many bikes as possible with all different wheelsizes. Find the one that works for you and get that bike. No skin will be shred from my nads if you find you like riding a different wheelsize than I prefer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Wow. Talk about one sided poll results.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode 26 for years. Thought I was comfortable and that the bikes fitted. Got one of the first OnOne ScandAL frames they made - sold the 26" bikes after they hadn't been used in 6 months. Just 29er now and they suit me fine and dandy - 6'7" here and ride clumsy XC with harder trails now and then.

Riding bikes since 1976
    Rode 20" growing up, and 26" for years. Have a 26er FS gathering dust, gonna sell it.

Have 2 29er HTs( in process of building 2nd one anyway), really enjoy the roll over.

But... tried several 27.5s in HT and FS setups. Gonna have to say I am switching to 27.5s for major investment FS build this spring. Will keep 1 29er though, as my XC/street bike.

I believe the 3 wheel sizes (and corresponding frame geometries)all have their place depending on the size of the person in question and discipline.

Voted 27.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Like other people have said, I suggest you try riding a few bikes and see what you like. I'm 6'5" and I have two 29ers and a 26er and I ride all of them quite a bit. I tend to ride my 140mm travel 29er for local rides which are more XC oriented. I tend to ride my 160mm travel 26er for trails that are tighter or a little more hardcore. I tend to find my 26er to be a lot more fun when it comes to jumps and just being able to make it do what I want, but tends to be overkill for my local rides. My 29er is more of tank and I can just point and go and it will just plow through anything which is fun, but sometimes it's too long/big for tight technical riding and I can't manipulate it the way I can the 26er. All that being said, I am going to be building up a 150mm travel 27.5 this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm a latest and greatest 26"r rider, although it's gonna be a new frame after This year, so my options are running thin. I'm 6'6" and owned all three wheel sizes. All have advantages, but no wheel truly is a bad choice

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I went with 29 on my new bike, glad!

mtbr member
    I've gone from 26 ht to 26 fs to 29 ht back to really sweet 26 ht back to my dream build 26 ht. We still have a couple 29ers ( an On One and a Rocky Mtn) that my kids ride, heck, I even ride them on and off but I love the handling of my Cotic BFe
    Bikes=Sanity