Thread: What a ride!

Don't try this at home.

What a ride!

Yesterday morning I met 2 of my friends out at a local trail to do some riding. At the beginning of the season, both of them could out ride me. Just before we hit the trail, one of them said, I don't have a lot of time so we will have to ride fast today. I have gotten used to being "the fat guy" that they have to stop and wait for, while I catch my breath. Well... Not yesterday! I'm about 55lbs lighter and my legs are stronger. As we started, they had me lead. In my mind I was thinking about being a little crunched for time, so I would keep a decent pace. I noticed that after a while, I was putting some distance between us. We got to a spot in the trail where we usually stop and chat for a min or 2 before movin on. I noticed they were pretty winded. One of them commented that he liked the pace we were keeping. We all agreed that we were having fun. So off we went again. A few more miles in I stopped to wait for them. When they caught up, they were huffin & puffin! The one that liked the pace a few miles back, asked me if I had been riding a lot. I answered, "not as much as I'd like!" At that point, when we took off I let them lead the way because I knew I would not have any issue keeping up. What a fun ride! It was the 1st time my skinny friends didn't have to wait for me. I'm FAR from skinny(still 278lbs). I still have at least 60lbs to lose, but yesterday was the 1st time I really noticed a major improvement.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Nice! I was 267 last year and 245 at the beginning of this year and now down to 228. I have seen my stamina, speed and recovery time all improve and it feels good. Congrats and keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Inspirational post! I bet it feels great!
    The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Howdy fellow Michigander!!!

My story is not a good as yours, but I have been mentioning how much better I am riding since I first started earlier this year. I noticed riding past most of my stop and chat spots.

My biggest personal improvement is going down some pretty rocky and rooted trails. In the past I was using the hell out of my breaks and feared flipping over the bars. Right now, I am thinking of a few spots my friends have slowed down and walked.

I actually couldn’t believe how well I had done.

This was my first year doing trails and I am at 280lbs down from 313 from earlier this year.

If you’re wondering… Southeast, the burbs far out past Detroit.

Ridin' Furry
    That is great. Now you can look forward to motivating your buddies to keep up at your pace.

Members who have read this thread: 0