mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What rate spring for CCDB and 210lb rider?

As title please.

I believe the spring rates recommended for these shocks are lower than usual coil shocks so which spring should I be looking for as a 210lb rider?

Thanks

29 some of the time...
    Call up CC and ask em I think they have a bit of experience with the current suspension designs and can suggest something for your weight and particular bike. The bike leverage and weight distribution will effect spring rate more than your actual weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

PULL
    I second calling up CC. They told me you can't go above 500 or it starts to over power the damper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    I second calling up CC. They told me you can't go above 500 or it starts to over power the damper.
    I was questioning the effects of big springs in my post over on the suspension forum in the 'CCDB or Push'd RP23' thread. I was asking if any of the effectiveness is lost with big springs vs springs in the 400lb range. I wasn't condoning running a spring that was under what is recommended for a rider's weight but I couldn't help think that riding on those hulking great 600lb+ springs just sounds so industrial. A bit like trying to dance swan lake in diving boots!

The reply given seems to make sense though although I haven't heard a definitive answer from a manufacturer. What you were told by CC though just seems to reinforce my misgivings.

Since making this original thread I've been in touch with CC and they recommend a 600lb spring for a rider in the 210-220lb range. No mention of the damper being overpowered. I wonder what the real deal is?

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgy
    I was questioning the effects of big springs in my post over on the suspension forum in the 'CCDB or Push'd RP23' thread. I was asking if any of the effectiveness is lost with big springs vs springs in the 400lb range. I wasn't condoning running a spring that was under what is recommended for a rider's weight but I couldn't help think that riding on those hulking great 600lb+ springs just sounds so industrial. A bit like trying to dance swan lake in diving boots!

The reply given seems to make sense though although I haven't heard a definitive answer from a manufacturer. What you were told by CC though just seems to reinforce my misgivings.

Since making this original thread I've been in touch with CC and they recommend a 600lb spring for a rider in the 210-220lb range. No mention of the damper being overpowered. I wonder what the real deal is?
    That really is weird. Malcom told me if I went to a 550 on my bike (which I thought was the correct spring from calculators) the spring would over power the damper.

I'm running the 500, which I thought was going to be wayyyy to soft, but it works great

'All over it!'

I too am interested......

I have just ordered a new Nicolai Helius FR complete with CCDB. I weigh in at around 240lb and am curious what spring rate it will come with. I understand that the shock is set up at the factory and tested at the riders weight. I will be interested to see what stock spring the CCDB comes with. I will keep you all posted