Thread: What next?

mtbr member
    May 2005

What next?

First off....

Hello, I have been a lurker of this site for over a year. I have never really posted before so hi to every one.

Ok heres the question, I bought an 05 hardrock last year and rode the heck out of it, and it worked great for me, but this year I want to get a little bit more serious. So I just got a 2005 Marzocchi MZ Comp fork for it. Well anyway I would like any sugestions on what to upgrade next?

thanks in advance

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    If you haven't already, get clipless pedals. That was the single greatest upgrade I ever made. Turned me from a really really weak climber into a, well, weak climber! Seriously, they are great, you will feel in better control and have more power per stroke.

Past that, the next best thing on most peoples list to upgrade are the brakes. If you plan on sticking with this bike for a while, disc brakes may be a good upgrade (again, if your bike doesn't already have them... can't remember the specs on specialized bikes).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info. not sure if Im quite ready for clipless yet...

I have heard some horror stories about them.

About the brakes, I was thinking of that next, then replacing parts as they break.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitong
    Thanks for the info. not sure if Im quite ready for clipless yet...

I have heard some horror stories about them.
    I was unsure about moving to clipless pedals myself. But I'm glad I did. They make a huge difference, particularly in technical sections where I need to apply continuous power and maybe would normally get bucked off of platform pedals. They make a difference when spinning on flats and while climbing, too. More efficient, somehow.

And the "learning to unclip" process went pretty smooth. In six months, I've only fallen off twice due to not being able to unclip (and both times I was at a dead stop). I didn't believe it was going to happen myself, but unclipping has just become second-nature. I don't even think about it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chitong
    About the brakes, I was thinking of that next, then replacing parts as they break.
    If the brakes work (iow, they stop you when you want stop), then I say stick with them until you absolutely need to change. JMO.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 04-18-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Patrick is right on both points.. clipless are great and don't replace anything unless you really need to. If you want to start looking for things to upgrade, start with whatever you feel is sub-par on the bike as far as performance. If the brakes are working well, then don't bother. If the drivetrain is smooth and works the way it should, leave it be.

Unless you just really like to upgrade for upgrades sake (a lot of people like that here!)