Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

what are my options?

I am currently in the process of returning to mountain biking after a ten hear hiatus. I have been looking at the Kona Hoss, and was wondering what other options I might have. I am looking for a hardtail in the $1k price range; I am 6"3 and weigh in at 260. For the most part I will be doing cross country/singletrack, nothing to extreme. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice to help get me started.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcracer
    I am currently in the process of returning to mountain biking after a ten hear hiatus. I have been looking at the Kona Hoss, and was wondering what other options I might have. I am looking for a hardtail in the $1k price range; I am 6"3 and weigh in at 260. For the most part I will be doing cross country/singletrack, nothing to extreme. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice to help get me started.
    Try the forum search feature on bike recommendations or $1000 I bet you find a zillion threads...while you wait for people to respond accordingly here....

Great forum for access to information.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    Try the forum search feature on bike recommendations or $1000 I bet you find a zillion threads...while you wait for people to respond accordingly here....

Great forum for access to information.....
    Norco bigfoot.. .also very beefy bike but not veryxc friendly but for a clyde, anything is xc friendly lol hell i ride my RM switch xc with my ife lol

mtbr member
    I would really consider something used, you'll get twice the bike for the same amount of money. Lots of great hardtails and even suspension frames out there, but look for something with nice components. Like a frame with a Rock Shox Pike fork for example.
    Pearl & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

long standing member
    Hoss is good. I have one. I like it. MTBR.com review (if you haven't already seen it):

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardt...t_123282.shtml

It's your first post, so you may not know this, but the Hoss is discussed approximately every day on this particular forum (what can we say, us Clydes like the Hoss). The forum search function found a whole lotta' threads. Make sure you have a few minutes to read before you dig in.

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=1778583

Good luck.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 04-11-2006 at 04:42 AM.

Sumo-Clydedale
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    I would really consider something used, you'll get twice the bike for the same amount of money. Lots of great hardtails and even suspension frames out there, but look for something with nice components. Like a frame with a Rock Shox Pike fork for example.
    I agree with above. I ride a Kona Hoss. The frame is great, but I have swapped out almost every component. The weakest part of a Stock Hoss is the Forks and the wheels, which of course are the most expensive to replace for clydeproof items. It you are an equipment hound and like teaking...then buy a Hoss frame then start dealing for used parts. Should be able to build for around 1K and have a better bike. There is a used Hoss in the classifies with some very nice upgrades for less than a stock Hoss.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    After a visit to my lbs, I am now considering the specialized rockhopper pro disc. This bike seems to have better stock componentry then the hoss (same price range). The store owner tells me this bike is extremely tough, and will pose no problems for my height/weight. Can anyone confirm whether this would be a wise choice?

mtbr member
    After a visit to my lbs, I am now considering the specialized rockhopper pro disc. This bike seems to have better stock componentry then the hoss (same price range). The store owner tells me this bike is extremely tough, and will pose no problems for my height/weight. Can anyone confirm whether this would be a wise choice?
    Rockhopper/Hardrock series do have really strong frames... if the rockhopper has better components the nthe Hoss, you have nothing to lose.

long standing member
    After a visit to my lbs, I am now considering the specialized rockhopper pro disc. This bike seems to have better stock componentry then the hoss (same price range).

Be careful with what you consider "better stock componentry". I haven't checked out the specs of that particular bike, but better components is a relative term. Meaning, better for the average sized rider may mean lighter, but for a clyde means weaker and more prone to break. I'm generalizing, but it's something to consider.

The store owner tells me this bike is extremely tough, and will pose no problems for my height/weight.

The thing I question about that is, does the owner know this for sure? Is he thinking, "well, this bike has held up under abuse from average size riders, so it must be able to withstand a Clyde sized rider." Or has he actually sold a few to bigger guys and know that there haven't been issues?

Plus, every store is going to try to sell what they have on the floor, which may or may not be exactly what you need. I'm not knocking your LBS, this is just the world of retail sales.

Can anyone confirm whether this would be a wise choice?

It may be just fine, do a close comparison before jumping in, though.

Good luck.

Patrick

Edit: I wanted to add that the Rockhopper frames certainly do look beefy, and Specialized is a well-respected bike co. that I'm sure will stand behind its frames. I agree with wickerman in that components may be the big difference here. Do a careful comparison.
    Last edited by PCinSC; 04-13-2006 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just spoke with my lbs, and they just received a shipment with the hoss deelux. The mgr said he will assemble the bike so I can come by this afternoon and take a spin. If all goes well, I will probably make the purchase. I would have liked to build the bike up from the frame, but I have been out of cycling so long that I am not up on the tech.

mtbr member
    I just spoke with my lbs, and they just received a shipment with the hoss deelux. The mgr said he will assemble the bike so I can come by this afternoon and take a spin. If all goes well, I will probably make the purchase. I would have liked to build the bike up from the frame, but I have been out of cycling so long that I am not up on the tech.
    Well... whats the verdict??? Hoss or no Hoss??

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No Hoss: When I arrived at my lbs the owner told me the hoss deluxe was spoken for and I could not test ride it. He stuck me on a Blast and told me this was a better choice.
    Needles to say, I left with no bike. Argggh.

mtbr member
    No Hoss: When I arrived at my lbs the owner told me the hoss deluxe was spoken for and I could not test ride it. He stuck me on a Blast and told me this was a better choice.
    Yo ushould try out a Specialized... being that your lbs told u already that you could test ride it and then turns around and says it is spoken for, I wouldn't do business with this person at all... Don't settle on the Blast... it isn't that great of a bike... he's simply trying to sell you anything at this point.
    I'm sure theres a Specialized dealer in your area, or even another Kona dealer not far from where you're at.

long standing member
    Good move to walk away. The Blast is an inferior bike to the Hoss Deluxe, and your LBS is shady for telling you otherwise. I would try to find another LBS if I were you. Or maybe purchase something over the internet, quite a few people on these forums like Ibex bikes. They’re blowing out 2005 Trophy 770's. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On my way home I stopped in by my lbs in town and road a base rockhopper. This bike felt more comfortable then the blast (cramped cockpit). The hoss and blast have similar geometry, so more then likely I will be cramped on either. If I do decide on the rockhopper, it will be the pro disc model. The rockhopper has a mechanical disc brake; should I be concerned that its not hydraulic?

mtbr member
    On my way home I stopped in by my lbs in town and road a base rockhopper. This bike felt more comfortable then the blast (cramped cockpit). The hoss and blast have similar geometry, so more then likely I will be cramped on either. If I do decide on the rockhopper, it will be the pro disc model. The rockhopper has a mechanical disc brake; should I be concerned that its not hydraulic?
    nothing wrong with mech discs at all... they are kless maintenance and easier set up and cheaper for parts if need be...Good choice on the rock hopper if it fits good, pick it up. I just checked the specs and it has Avid BB5 mechs, cannot go wrong with them at all. Very powerful brakes with infinite adjustment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just a thought on a remedy for the "cramped cockpit" feel. Would a setback seatpost help by providing an extra inch or so?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I visited another Kona Dealer today and have come to the conclusion that the Hoss will not work for me. It seems that I have shorter legs and a longer torso, which seem to conflict with the Hoss geometry. I need at least a 25" top tube so I am not cramped on the bike. With this longer top tube comes a standover height which I cannot accomodate. Looks like my focus is on the Rockhopper pro disc. The only other bike I found with the similar geometry is the Fisher Genesis models. As far as I can tell, the Fishers aren't a great choice for Clyde's.

Old Fart

Fisher Bikes

I The only other bike I found with the similar geometry is the Fisher Genesis models. As far as I can tell, the Fishers aren't a great choice for Clyde's.
    I love my Sugar. It's old school but after riding lots of other bikes last year it was the one that felt right. I also have a similar problem short legs and longer torso I've been riding Sugars for a year now and no problems, no telling what the long term will be but having ridden fishers for the past 10 years and no problems I'm not worried.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

long standing member
    As far as I can tell, the Fishers aren't a great choice for Clyde's.
    My thoughts on the Fishers (my wife rides a Piranha). Out of the box, the components are "OK" for a clyde. If the geometry works for you then a GF may be the way to go. If you were to purchase a bike (like the Piranha) you could recommend having the LBS swap out the wheels and fork to something beefier, they should give you some trade in credit for the swapped parts.

Or just find some aftermarket stuff online. Wheels built with Rhynolites and Deore or XT hubs can be had pretty cheap ($120-180). Many places are blowing out their 2005 stock of suspension forks. Many forks which normally sell at $450-500 can be had for less than $300.

If you can pick up the bike for ~$600 then adding the wheels ($150) and fork ($250-300) should put you just at or over $1000. Just another option. Good luck.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Fisher Hoo Koo? This bike is right in my price range and has the upgraded aluminum frame. I would probably swap out the fork and wheelset before taking delivery of the bike.

Old Fart

Fisher Hoo Koo?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Fisher Hoo Koo? This bike is right in my price range and has the upgraded aluminum frame. I would probably swap out the fork and wheelset before taking delivery of the bike.
    My second bike (my hardtail) is a Fisher Big Sur, probably 10 years old. I don't ride it that much but reliability has never been a problem. My brother rides a Hoo Koo E Koo and has had his for almost as long. He probably is about 200#. No problems with his bike either. I love my GF's
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

long standing member
    If you like it, buy it. Beat on it, upgrade as needed when things break. There really aren't any parts on that bike that aren't at least functional for a clyde.

Fork: I'm on a RS Reba (which seems pretty similar to the Tora) and I haven't had any issues. Tora has 32mm stanchions, should be beefy enough. It's an air spring, but like I said, I (and other clydes) aren't having any issues. There aren't many options for ugrading the fork without messing with the geometry. Maybe a coil Pike with U-turn, diald down to 100mm? Probably not worth the extra cost.

Wheels: They're probably fine. If you have any problems or start riding rougher trails or doing any jumps/drops then look to upgrade.

Good luck.

Patrick

mtbr member
    I am 6'2" 270.
    I ride a 06 HooKooEKoo, and am very happy w/ it. Like said above, if it fits, get it and replace parts as needed. I've had mine for 3 months, and am yet to replace anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went down to my local Fisher Dealer yesterday and put a deposit on an 06 h-k-e-k. He didn't have my size in stock, but it should be in by Wednesday. The genesis geometry was a perfect fit for me. I went for a hike today to scope out some good novice trails to practice on. If the weather is nice on Wedneday I will probably take the day off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast