Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

What kind of tires on your trail/AM bikes?

I have a 5.5" bike running Purgatory front/Ground Control rear, both 29x2.3. It's fine but it's just about all I've ever tried. My XC bike had X-King's on it, which were terrible by comparison, but that was my first bike so I didn't know any better at the time.

What are you heavier guys using on trail/AM bikes? I'm 235ish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm 6'2 and 220. I run the Purgatory 2.2 Control in Front, Ground Control 2.1 in the front as well. Love that combo! On my new XC bike, it came with Fastrak 29 2.0" front and rear, but I will be putting a Fastrak 2.2" on the front once I kill this tire...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I caught some tires I read good things about on sale so I'm thinking about the following combos, all but the Ardent are 29x2.3:

Butcher front with either Purgatory, Ground Control, or Ardent 2.25 rear

High Roller II 3C front, High Roller II dual compound rear

banned
    Jan 2013
    My bike came with Bontrager 2.3's when i bought it over a year ago. I really thought those were gona be fist thing to go on my bike. When it was time for new meat, i didnt hesitate to buy another pair. Im almost ready for another rear... i feel no burning need to experiment.

They stick when climbing, corner nicely, and roll like champs.

mtbr member

RE: What kind of tires on your trail/AM bikes?

Conti Trail King, Protection, Black Chili is the best all round AM tire IME.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Underskilled
    Hans Dampf trailstar on front mountain king black chilli on the rear.

The rubber is more important than the pattern.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Love the Hans Damf in the front on both my 5" FS 29'r and HT 29'r, however I thought they were going to hold up a bit better in the back on my 5" FS and I already have side knobs half torn off at less about 100 miles with running 30-27psi tubeless in rear, 25-27 front. The edges of the knobs on the Hans I'm using in the rear are still sharp, but doesn't do much good if they are rolling around between the tire and ground. I think I'll just go back to a Racing Ralph in the rear and succumb to replacing those every 100-150 miles but rolling a bit faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by some dude View Post
    Love the Hans Damf in the front on both my 5" FS 29'r and HT 29'r, however I thought they were going to hold up a bit better in the back on my 5" FS and I already have side knobs half torn off at less about 100 miles with running 30-27psi tubeless in rear, 25-27 front. The edges of the knobs on the Hans I'm using in the rear are still sharp, but doesn't do much good if they are rolling around between the tire and ground. I think I'll just go back to a Racing Ralph in the rear and succumb to replacing those every 100-150 miles but rolling a bit faster.
    That's typical for all knobby tires on the rear as that is where most of the weight is. In terms of traction IMO tread is more significant that rubber. In terms of durability rubber is more significant than tread IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just put a Butcher up front, liking it so far!

Making fat cool since '71
    On One Chunky Monkey. Hate the name...dig the tire. Got overwhelmed at hairball speeds/actions on the big bike, but it's been an above average tire on the main bike. Nearly as good as the Butcher front/Minion DHF rear combo for cornering/braking...not as good, but close-ish and rolls fasterish and less than half the price.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde View Post
    On One Chunky Monkey. Hate the name...dig the tire. Got overwhelmed at hairball speeds/actions on the big bike, but it's been an above average tire on the main bike. Nearly as good as the Butcher front/Minion DHF rear combo for cornering/braking...not as good, but close-ish and rolls fasterish and less than half the price.

Brock...
    Any reason why you're using butcher and minion instead of both of one? Those always struck me as the same tire essentially.

Making fat cool since '71
    The simple answer is: The owner of the local Big S shop gave me the Butcher to try when I mentioned my front tire was getting shredded (Minion).

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I think you've already nailed it, I've got purgatory 2.3 up front and ground control 2.2 rear also
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Conti Trail King, Protection, Black Chili is the best all round AM tire IME.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Same tire front and back?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Same tire front and back?
    Yup, but it also depends on conditions. I find a TK w/BC in the rear provides more traction especially on wet logs or rocks but TK is heavier than a MK.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gotcha. Tubeless? I've ran X-Kings and the sidewalls just leaked sealant constantly and I've read the same on the TK's. I had the protection model too.

mtbr member
    I have no experience with tubeless. From what I have read, stay away from any version of X-Kings. Even if they initially feel good, I have read from different sources that they give up the ghost quickly and are terrible, even w/BC on wet roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah they are awful. Hated them.

Was just wondering if the sidewall leaking was across the whole conti lineup

mtbr member
    I've read success with MK and TK w/Protection but I think you've seen otherwise.

mtbr member
    "What are you heavier guys using on trail/AM bikes? I'm 235ish."

I average between 270-250 depending how far I am into the riding season. I've had success with the following combos:
    Rampage front at 32 psi/ rear at 35-36 psi with tubes. Slow rolling but just all-around, good predictable tires.

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front/2.25 rear. Great traction but I've always had to pay more attention with pressure. I run the front at about 28 psi tubeless. Any more air and I don't like the way it corners on hardpack. Conversely, the rear I had to run at about 35 due to my weight.

I'm going to be running an Ardent 2.4 and an Ikon 2.35 rear with both set up tubeless on a new build. I've had lots of little guys tell me that I run too much rubber for the Midwest but I don't care. I love the feel of wider tires. I've demoed a couple of bikes with Nobby Nics and really liked how they worked on hardpack with some sandy dirt, but I haven't owned them and I've read that they wear fast. The thing I learned the hard way with the Ardent is how much difference a few psi can make on some tires--taking them from scary to great.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On my 26" AM rig I run Schwable Big Betty up front with Hans Dampf in the back. When it's really wet and muddy I'll swap the back tire for a Conti TK 2.4 which I think is a great tire, no experience with oozing, only complaint is I blew out the casing on my last one after only a couple of months.

On my 29" AM rig I'm running the Maxxis Minions and they're cool, although the rear constantly oozes Stan's out the sidewalls.

On my soon to be built 27.5 AM rig, I'll be running the Minions again.

All tubeless.

I used to run Speshies, Purg up front, Cap't in back, but I didn't think the Cap't gripped very well and the Purg was ok up front, but drifted too much in turns when I started to push it hard. And I liked the Hans Dampf as a rear tire on my 29er, but the side knobs started coming off way too soon for how much it cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm in the 230's, but I've been running Aspen 29x2.1's, somehow limped them through an entire season of riding (and about 450mi).

I'm out in the middle of the southwest, and I think the terrain I ride is what they had in mind both naming and designing the Geax Saguaros, so when I saw them for $36/ea in the TnT flavor, I jumped on them. I haven't ridden enough on them to have much of an opinion, but the non TnT that came on my buddy's bike seem to be borderline indestructible (even ran ghetto tubeless, with multiple gashes and punctures) and at the same mileage that has virtually destroyed the tread on my asspens, it took most of that time just to take the new tire prickly things off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I'm in the 230's, but I've been running Aspen 29x2.1's, somehow limped them through an entire season of riding (and about 450mi).

I'm out in the middle of the southwest, and I think the terrain I ride is what they had in mind both naming and designing the Geax Saguaros, so when I saw them for $36/ea in the TnT flavor, I jumped on them. I haven't ridden enough on them to have much of an opinion, but the non TnT that came on my buddy's bike seem to be borderline indestructible (even ran ghetto tubeless, with multiple gashes and punctures) and at the same mileage that has virtually destroyed the tread on my asspens, it took most of that time just to take the new tire prickly things off.
    Yikes Aspens seem way too light duty

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yikes Aspens seem way too light duty
    I can tell you conclusively, they have been a testament to how effective Stan's can be.

Blackhammer - I can't run pressures quite as low as you (same weight range) because I'm less patient about setting up the bike each time, and mostly I keep burping tires or getting partial flats so the extra air is worth it. I think the reason they're telling you it's too much rubber is the clay content of that soil - but if it rolls well enough you're golden.

Out in this land of sun-baked ball bearings over effectively concrete, there's no such idea of too much rubber. If I was running shuttle/lift serviced stuff I'd probably run Butchers up front and Purgs on the rear, but since I'm pedaling my stupid self up everything, and riding primarily trail over AM descending, rolling mattered too much to me, which meant I'd want something like a Purg/GroundControl, Ardent/Ikon, or TrailKing/XKing for handling those duties, but I just found way too good of a deal on some Saguaros, so I'll give up some performance in gnarly soft dirt for a tire I know is a great all-arounder in the dry.

Singletrackmac
    What are you heavier guys using on trail/AM bikes? I'm 235ish.
    I am about 235ish as well and just replaced my maxxis minion 2.5" DHFs with some high volume ITS 2.5" Edge tires on my AM ride. Never rode the ITS brand before but they are similar to the DHFs, except they are actually 2.5" wide, unlike the maxxis which were more like 2.35".
    They weigh about 850g which is pretty good for knobby 2.5" wide tires and are tubeless ready so I might give that a try this summer.

So far they have worked well on the Tahoe chunk and loose conditions. Being a heavy rider I have always liked high volume, wide tires cause it allows for lower psi without as much risk of pinch flats or rim dings.

Being a true 2.5" tire they give about the same wheel diameter as a 650b 2.2" wide tire. My wheel diameter is now just under 27.25" and that, along with the added stiffness of the lighter 26" wheel is one reason why I don't understand the 650b wheels size, but to each their own I guess. The contact patch is also greater than a 2.2" 650lb and probably close to a 2.35" 650b.

Love the grip and extra rollover these tires give. Now to see how well they hold up to use on the harsh Tahoe trails.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast