mtbr member
    May 2006

What is a good stiff fork for a fat guy the isn't too $$$

What do you all ride. I can't afford too much, so it would be a great help to hear from you! Im 250lbs and ride mostly trails to light all mountain. I need something with about 4 inches of travel. Im hoping to find a deal on ebay or something.

Thank You!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlm4
    What do you all ride. I can't afford too much, so it would be a great help to hear from you! Im 250lbs and ride mostly trails to light all mountain. I need something with about 4 inches of travel. Im hoping to find a deal on ebay or something.

Thank You!!!
    just about anything w/ 32mm stanchions. reba's are great bang for the buck.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Freshly Fujified

Another Reba vote

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    just about anything w/ 32mm stanchions. reba's are great bang for the buck.
    Logbiter has a great point with the 32 mm stanchions recommendation. If not Reba, then I would say look for something basic with dual coil (I believe Reba is air or air/coil??). The Marzocchi dual coil 32mm stanchion XC/AM forks will all be 120mm+ (I believe) so I would also recommend looking at a basic Fox Vanilla. Sometimes you can find an OEM model for cheap.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

long standing member
    I third the Reba. Can be found pretty cheap. I've got the all-air SL version without U-turn and it's just fine. I can make it super stiff or really plush by varying the air pressures. Personally, though, I'm hesitant to do too much (too big) jumping or dropping on it just because it is an air fork. Food for thought.

Patrick

Glad to Be Alive
    dependabilty of Marzochi you can't beat....look at a used Z-1
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i ride a Marzocchi Dirt jumper 1 (05) haven't bottomed it out yet..but any of the dirt jumpers are highly recommended by the manufacturer for us big guys.....
    IBEX Ignition, 05 Marzocchi DJ1 Outlaw wheels 2.3 tires Saint Crank ATACzPedals LX Drive Train w11-34 185mm BB7&SD5 30lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    dependabilty of Marzochi you can't beat....look at a used Z-1
    yeah, I concur! I'm still loving my late 90's Z2's. definitely a bit flexy compared to more modern offerings (30mm stanchions), but easy to work on, dependable & great for xc riding (super plush-no lockout or anything like that though).
    the dirt jumper fork's won't feel supple on XC type of stuff, but the AMs, marathons, etc will (assuming set up properly)
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Bike to the Bone...
    What's too much money? I think the MX series from Marzocchi might be a good option. I think the Rebas are better, but maybe a little more $$, but maybe looking around you can get them at a great price.

NormalNorm
    I have a Manitou Minute 2. Awesome fork, I would buy again. Very happy with it-I weigh 240lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out pricepoint. man. nixon comp $199 145 mm i picked one up recently and it works great. Im 219# Also the zoke z150 fr3 is nice those run about 250.