mtbr member
    Jan 2009

What is a good front fork?

I see Fisher and Kona have 80mm travel in their shocks and Marin and Felt have 100mm travel in theirs. wich is better for a 280# guy and how do you know a quality front shock on a bike from another? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Please provide specific model information. The amount of travel means nothing without the component information.

That being said, I recommend that any clyde ride a thru-axle fork.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    A couple of models have the Rockshocks Dart 3 that I hear may be a little spongy for my size?

The Fisher Cobia has a Rockshock Tora SL 29 80mm travel and Felt nine comp. has the Mantion Drake 29 100mm travel.

Any info on the three shocks mentioned above? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker357
    A couple of models have the Rockshocks Dart 3 that I hear may be a little spongy for my size? The Fisher Cobia has a Rockshock Tora SL 29 80mm travel and Felt nine comp. has the Mantion Drake 29 100mm travel.

Any info on the three shocks mentioned above? Thanks
    For a big guy the most common limiting factor on an OE bike tends to be the fork. Of the lot, the Manitou Drake is going to be your best match IMO. Stiffest QR chassis, better guts and coil sprung - you can upgrade to a stiffer spring if the air preload doesn't deliver the ride quality you're looking for. As you progress, the Drake is the only one of the three that I wouldn't upgrade from personally.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I appreciate your input, thank you.