magaw country
    Nov 2007

what is a good chain for a clydesdale

If anyone could send me in the right direction of a heavy duty chain, it would be much appreciated.I wheigh in at about 265 270ish and I keep breaking chains. I just broke a brand new sram pc 971 today on the first ride out with it. It did'nt break when I was shifting, but instead when I stood up to pedal. It also didint break near the power link either. The only thing that I have done different lately is I have been trying to stay in the middle chain ring as much as possible.Could that be the problem? Any hep on the subject would be great. Thanks!

I can't weld
    Search Ebay for "9x1" and "connex". That'll get you a wippermann 9x1, stainless steel chain. Usually go for ~$30 on Ebay. $50+ in online stores. Very strong, durable and corrosion resistant. The only part that gets a little rusty if I wash mine are the steel pins.
    Comes with Wippermann's Connex quick connector which is superior to SRAM's in my opinion.
    I've used SRAM's 991 chain and I prefer this chain. I replace it once a year, eventhough it doesn't need to be. They usually end up on my friend's bikes. Pretty forgiving if you forget to clean and lube it very often, too.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I've had very good luck with chains that use mushroom'd rivets.

The easiest to score models are the SRAM 991 Hollowpin and the Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace.

I've used both with SRAM gold-link w/o difficulty.

But,

What broke? Plate pulled off rivet? Plate cracked? What?

magaw country
    Nov 2007
    plate pulled off rivet, aggravating!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by magawcountry
    plate pulled off rivet, aggravating!
    definitely try "mushroomed" rivet chains, they have the rivet material formed out over the plate surface, not just pressed into it like the rest, and in theory are a stronger build.

Still, the same frustrating advice people gave me for some breaks I'll give you.

You need to lower the torque on the chain and increase the cadence of your pedalling, so a lower gear. Go to a larger cog on the back, go granny, whatever.

Sometimes, nothing helps (hill too steep) though.

Former Bike Wrench
    despite being a SRAM guy (use their Cassettes, Derailluers, and Shifters)...their chains are kind of hit or miss.

The Connex 9 x 1 is a good choice, very durable. But for my money, I use a Shimano Dura-Ace/XTR chain with a SRAM gold power link (save yours from your PC 971). Never had one break and it shifts flawlessly.
    Last edited by mtnbiker72; 11-18-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Connex Link > Power Link

Wipperman chains are nice but dear lord they are expensive.

magaw country
    Nov 2007
    Thanks guys for your input.