mtbr member
    Jan 2012

What FS 29er to buy?

I'm 55 years young and mostly ride trails with turns, steep climbs, good downhill action with roots, rocks and some slow technical sections. I currently ride a 2011 GF Cobia hardtail that is great, but I tmhink I want a full suspension. I have found a used 2011 high fi delink in new condition. I am also considering a 2014 fezzeri bike the Abajo Peak. Give me y,our thoughts on both of these bikes. I'm a trail rider at 260 lbs that likes to push my personal limits to get better. Which bike do you think I would be better with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What is your budget?

mtbr member

What FS 29er to buy?

I'm riding a 2012 abajo peak. It's a 26 " bike however. I've been happy with it in general. The frame and stock components have held up well with the exception of the wheels and the crank. I got some custom built wheels from lacemine29.com and threw in a shimano deore hollow tech crank and have been happy since. I did get a year on the stock bike before replacing those components. Also had them upgrade my fork to a recon silver I needed an air shock. They seem willing to customize what ever you want them to. I'm 300 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not only is my short term memory horrible, but so is my short term memory.

mtbr member
    Last edited by sagitt77; 05-16-2014 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat but have been looking at the Fezzari Nebo or an Orbea frame. Everything I've heard about the Orbea frames is promising. I did talk to Fezzari and they are willing to sell the frames on their own but that Nebo is a lot of bike for the 3K.

mtbr member
    If it were me I would buy the Santa Cruz Tallboy. They have a really great kit right now for $3,100. The bottom end one is $2,600 but for $500 you get a lot more.

Santa Cruz Bicycles Tallboy Aluminum
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for your suggestions. My budget is around $2000. That will get me in a decent bike especially a used one. My hardtail does anything I need it to do I just want to try a FS without sinking too much in it. I have a lot of other hobbies also so I spread out my time and spending.

mtbr member
    For $2,000 you are better off sticking with a hardtail or as you suggested getting a used bike. A new $2,000 full suspension is going to be all bottom end components.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    For $2,000 you are better off sticking with a hardtail or as you suggested getting a used bike. A new $2,000 full suspension is going to be all bottom end components.
    Not necessarily. An Airborne Hobgoblin can be picked up $1750 and it's got a pretty nice component spec. Sram X7, Reba RL, and Elixer 3. You could pick up SLX brakes for $150 a set and $500 for a new wheel set down the road.

Also the Fezzari Alta is nicely specd bike for $1900. A mix of X7 and X9 and Mavic 319. I ran the 319's for two years on my steel SS hardtail and I'm 280# with gear. Taco'd the front in the Whiskey last year.

The Motobecane FS29 Fantom is a very nicely spec'd bike for under $2k. Not sure why they get so much hate. My brother bought the $2200 FS a year ago and is well over 300# and loves it. A few minor issues here and there due to his weight but he loves the bike. I rode it around and was surprised at how nice it was. I ran into a guy in utah who had the moto FS when I asked him what he thought he raved and raved about the bike. It comes with X9 and nice suspension. Brakes and wheels would need to be upgraded eventually.

Just a few things you could look at.

mtbr member

My FS matrix

This might help. It's a matrix I've been putting together to help me decide which FS 29 to get this summer and build up for this winter. I'm really looking to buy a frameset and build it up but I do have some complete bikes listed that have caught my eye. I've got an inital budget of $2k and another $1k over the next six months.

Might help.What FS 29er to buy?-mtn-bike-matrix.jpg

It won't let me attach the actual matrix but here is a jpeg. I can send the matrix if you're interested.

mtbr member
    I like the idea of building up a frame too. If it were me I'd probably do something like this:
    Jenson USA 2011 Rip9 frame: $880
    eBay SLX group w/brakes: $550
    front fork: $400
    used Flow wheelset: $300
    used or clearance sale cockpit/saddle/tires: $200

That adds up to $2330. Depending on deals you find or not find that could deviate +- a couple hundred dollars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The two new bikes I'm looking at are the Fezzari Abajo Peak 29er and the Airborne Hobgobblin both are spec with fairly good stuff. I am also considering the Tallboy, a Scott or a Trek if I can find a good deal on clearance at my local shops. Main thing is set a budget so that you don't buy a bike that is more than needed for your riding style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Not necessarily. An Airborne Hobgoblin can be picked up $1750 and it's got a pretty nice component spec. Sram X7, Reba RL, and Elixer 3. You could pick up SLX brakes for $150 a set and $500 for a new wheel set down the road.

Also the Fezzari Alta is nicely specd bike for $1900. A mix of X7 and X9 and Mavic 319. I ran the 319's for two years on my steel SS hardtail and I'm 280# with gear. Taco'd the front in the Whiskey last year.

The Motobecane FS29 Fantom is a very nicely spec'd bike for under $2k. Not sure why they get so much hate. My brother bought the $2200 FS a year ago and is well over 300# and loves it. A few minor issues here and there due to his weight but he loves the bike. I rode it around and was surprised at how nice it was. I ran into a guy in utah who had the moto FS when I asked him what he thought he raved and raved about the bike. It comes with X9 and nice suspension. Brakes and wheels would need to be upgraded eventually.

Just a few things you could look at.
    I don't think I could buy a FS bike without test riding it. There is such a huge difference in suspension and when you are a big guy that's critical. I like Airborne and have been impressed with the Goblin that I tried a couple of years ago but I still wouldn't consider the Hobgoblin sight unseen. A full suspension bike is a lot more than the sum of its parts.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Agreed. However most of us have a current bike that we've modified or upgraded to fit the way we want. The geometry info is readily available and it's pretty easy to compare what works for you to what a sight unseen FS might be like. Ideally a test ride would be nice but the savings and component quality can be substantial. Plenty of info out there regarding the suspension systems and the rear shocks so big guys can determine if a particular suspension system and rear shock will work for them.
    Beefcake. BEEFCAKE.