mtbr member
    Nov 2008

What FORK are you running?

Iím going to be building a all mountain hardtail frame (Cotic BFE) that I plan to mostly ride cross country with, but also jump down stairs and rip through the streets. I weigh about 230lbs and my weight really doesn't fluctuate much all depending on how much beer and bacon I eat.

I was planning on picking up a Lyrik coil u-turn mostly due to less maintenance, easy to setup, and I really like the adjustability of the u-turn because I plan on playing with the travel. Member Eurospek provided solid feedback on how his Float performed under his weight. So that definitely caught my attention but it doesn't have the travel adjustability of the u-turn. So I checked out the Talas but everyone says they aren't as plush as the Floats.

So Iím wondering what Fork(s) you guys are running and how do you like them.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Cro-Mo rigid...zero maintenance but not super plush
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Certifiably Crazy
    Manitou Tower Pro 120mm with an extra firm spring. Love it!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Cro-Mo rigid...zero maintenance but not super plush
    lol that would wreck my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Manitou Tower Pro 120mm with an extra firm spring. Love it!
    Nice, a coil setup on a 29er. How much do you weigh?
    Pedaling Gorilla

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I think the OP would be interested in people's weights so he can compare to himself.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Niner carbon rigid. SWEET!!!

270 lbs 6'4"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    I think the OP would be interested in people's weights so he can compare to himself.
    Yup that would definitely help.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    6'8" / 275lb

Running a Marzochi Bomber Z2. Great rebound for my size, never had an issue. I ran into a car doing 50 and smashed my front end in, needed a new wheel, etc. but the fork got a little bent and still runs great lol. Better yet a rolled over the hood of the car and landed on my feet on the other side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a rockshox lyrik coil u-turn 115-160mm, hopefully it works out. Apparently sram isn't making these forks anymore, spoke to a rep about it. Their won't be a 2013 model.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    any of you guys have links for any of these parts? I'm new to the MTB game and in the process of building up a frame and don't really know where to begin with the fork stuff. very versed in road bikes but limited knowledge here.

mtbr member

Just happened upon this thread and...

I bought a 2012 Tora TK 29 (white) for my steel horse a couple months ago. I decided to stay rigid instead since I do so much mixed road/gravel/singletrack riding. If anyone has any interest, let me know - I'd like for it to have a good home. I never mounted it or even took it out of the plastic. Hope this isn't against the rules, just thought I could help someone. Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Renruthsoj View Post
    I bought a 2012 Tora TK 29 (white) for my steel horse a couple months ago. I decided to stay rigid instead since I do so much mixed road/gravel/singletrack riding. If anyone has any interest, let me know - I'd like for it to have a good home. I never mounted it or even took it out of the plastic. Hope this isn't against the rules, just thought I could help someone. Happy riding.
    I'm in the market for a fork but don't know much about them. cna you email me some info on it to info@centralparkfitness.com?

mtbr member
    245lbs, i have a manitou minute pro 140mm. i like it, but i cant get a heavier spring and the brake dive is killing me. i have contacted manitou and cant get a good idea of when they will be producing the xfirm or xxfirm springs. So just be warned, you cant get springs for the fork if you want a stiffer ride

Ski N Bike Tech
    Cannondale Fatty Ultra Headshok. I'm 325. Hope to be down in weight by spring so I won't be so rough on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    so I just finished building up my first 29er using a new diamondback frame with a piece of crap NVX suspension fork. I love how the bike rides but I have nothing to compare it to. I've only been out on city streets and through a little bit of loose dirt and mulch here in my neighborhood in NYC. I'm pleasantly surprised by just how much big tires help for giving a soft ride. This cheapo suntour fork weighs 5.7lbs. After reading through some other threads and doing some research, I think I'd really like a tower pro but I'm wondering if in the short term if I'll be better served with a rigid steel fork than this piece of crap? it would drop a good 3.5 lbs off the front of the bike. I'm 6'3" 250 but I'm a personal trainer so I'm a decently solid and strong guy, I'm not too worried about being uncomfortable or taking a beating. what do you guys think?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I have owned two lyriks, one in the past and one currently, both have been solo air models . They have served me well on a number of frames. They are very tunable and the travel on them is adjustable internally.

Btw I weight 260 currently and I'm running about 80 psi in it. One thing I always like able rockshox forks is how easy they are to maintain

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I pulled the trigger and ordered a rockshox lyrik coil u-turn 115-160mm, hopefully it works out. Apparently sram isn't making these forks anymore, spoke to a rep about it. Their won't be a 2013 model.
    They are still making the Lyrik right? Just not a U-turn model? I see both listed on there website. I Cant imagine they would drop the Lyrik in general, That would be a horrible move.

mtbr member
    6'-3" - 320# - Reba RL29

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    They are still making the Lyrik right? Just not a U-turn model? I see both listed on there website. I Cant imagine they would drop the Lyrik in general, That would be a horrible move.
    They aren't getting rid of the lyrik itself, instead they are not making the coil version anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Adivid View Post
    I think a Cotic BFE is very suitable for you.
    Yeah I'm excited about building this thing, still waiting for a few parts to come in.
    Pedaling Gorilla

Climbs = necessary evil
    6'2" and 225 lbs

I use to have a Lyrik U-turn coil with extra firm spring, but the adjustment takes 14 turns (1/2 turns) to go through the full travel adjustment. I found I really needed to stop to make adjustments because if I was still rolling, I could get distracted and catch a rock while only holding on with one hand and leaning over the front end making the adjustment.

I now have a Talas that takes a 1/4 turn to adjust the full 30mm which is quick and easy to do while riding. Much better option IMHO.