mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What do you think about 36" wheels?

Hey Clydesdales,

I wrote an article about 36ers and thought I'd share it with you all. I'm hoping these things catch on, as it seems wheel size is the main remaining hindrance from a bike becoming truly proportional for a tall rider. The article: Proportional Bikes for Tall People: The 36er

How do you feel about 36" wheels? Overboard, or brilliant?
    Last edited by Tall Sam; 06-12-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    6'7" 220lb blogging cyclist
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Doesn't seem like your link is working.

As a 6'7" dude though, I love the idea of a 36" bike. I'm not sure they could be made short and light enough to be useful mountain biking, but I'd certainly buy one if they were getting good reviews and the geometry, etc, were right for my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: What do you think about 36" wheels?

Does this mean we need proportional trails and trail features for really tall people?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I fixed the link, but here it is again: 36ers

It's true the 36er won't be able to go some places 29ers can go, but the opposite would be true too
    ; bigger wheels can get over bigger rocks, etc.
    TallAdaptations.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think a 36er on a trail designed for 26" bikes might get boring. Pretty much the only thing that would slow you down would be your turning radius.

mbtr member
    At 6'3 I'm barely tall enough to build an 36'er that handles properly. The idea excites me out of sympathy, but i wonder if a 36'er is even the best option for you REALLY tall guys; most of you don't have an equally proportionate stance, weight, or power output to match your height. Makes me think that, with a few exceptions, a custom build on smaller wheels is gonna work better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Sam View Post
    It's true the 36er won't be able to go some places 29ers can go, but the opposite would be true too
    ; bigger wheels can get over bigger rocks, etc.
    watch some trials riders (i.e., danny mcaskill) get up something 6-7' tall on 20" wheels and tell me you think that's true. Getting over stuff is a matter of skill, not wheel size (or equipment at all)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    watch some trials riders (i.e., danny mcaskill) get up something 6-7' tall on 20" wheels and tell me you think that's true. Getting over stuff is a matter of skill, not wheel size (or equipment at all)
    Perhaps it has been too long since you last rode your tricycle :-)
    This is starting to sound like the old proportional crank length debate... As people scale, the objects they interact with should scale similarly.
    Take a look at Yao Ming on his 29er in the post. He would be way better off with a 36er, you can't seriously debate that he wouldn't. He is the extreme, yes, but it proves the point that objects we interact with should scale as we scale.
    TallAdaptations.com

WIGGLER
    36er's are fun to build and ride I've got the weight done to 31.24lbs
    on latest one here are a couple pics of ones I built and ridden!! They ride just like a bike they roll everthing tight switchbacks are the only thing that you have really watch your line!!
    What do you think about 36" wheels?-dsc00697.jpgWhat do you think about 36" wheels?-dsc00452.jpg
    Happy Motoring
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    We're not all Danny MacAskill - but just for reference, he rides 26" wheels (or even 700c) Road Bike Party 2 - Martyn Ashton - YouTube

Bigger wheels do roll over certain terrain better than smaller wheels. If that wasn't the case we'd all be riding BMX, and we're not.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    36er's are fun to build and ride I've got the weight done to 31.24lbs
    on latest one here are a couple pics of ones I built and ridden!! They ride just like a bike they roll everthing tight switchbacks are the only thing that you have really watch your line!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00697.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	900902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00452.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	900903
    Happy Motoring
    Those look awesome. Where do you get the rims and tires?
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

WIGGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Those look awesome. Where do you get the rims and tires?
    The rim and spokes from Unicycle.com and the tires from Waltworks or Unicycle.com the rest is bike and now with the 1X stuff coming out gearing isn't a problem anymore my current setup is a 1X10 the front ring is a 28t XX1 and a 42t Oneup with a standard XT cassette out back

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It's never gonna happen mainstream. 29ers took forever to catch on and now the trend towards 27.5. Look at all the disadvantages…weight, cost, availability, strength, acceleration, maneuverability. I'm 6'8" and ride hard fast XC. I don't see any reason why I would want larger wheels.

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    It's never gonna happen mainstream. 29ers took forever to catch on and now the trend towards 27.5. Look at all the disadvantages…weight, cost, availability, strength, acceleration, maneuverability. I'm 6'8" and ride hard fast XC. I don't see any reason why I would want larger wheels.
    I seem to have read this same quote when 29er's were boutique but now 26in wheels are obsoleting quickly. O I'm 6' and 300# and I too ride fast hard XC and even faster harder DH trust me these bikes can take it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To much rotating mass?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    29s aren't going anywhere, and I would argue that 26 is giving way to 27.5. If that's the case 27.5 trend is actually towards larger wheels, not smaller.

I can see it now. 36 eventually catches on. Then Giant is going to come out with 32.5, which will be heralded as the ideal size for all people in all riding conditions

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

36 for tall dudes

So I'm 6'9" and would love a 36" tire on a "cruiser" style frame. Think black sheep, or trek sawyer or old style Schwinn retro look. Even on a 29er I feel like a adult riding a kids bike.

Guess it's time to start saving $$ for a custom frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    29s aren't going anywhere, and I would argue that 26 is giving way to 27.5. If that's the case 27.5 trend is actually towards larger wheels, not smaller.

I can see it now. 36 eventually catches on. Then Giant is going to come out with 32.5, which will be heralded as the ideal size for all people in all riding conditions
    I really think Giant should give you a job.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5