mtbr member
    Nov 2004

What do you guys think about a set of crosstrails for a clyde?

I can get a set for $300. I'll be honest, I just like the way they look. The reviews I found were fairly good. They're usually like $500 or $400 and now I can get them for $300 out the door. I weight in about 245lbs, just XC. I take good care of my stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had a set of mavics low end crossrides for a while. I too ride just XC, At that time I weighed about the same as you, they held up fine for wheels that had a 180 pound weight limit.

The crosstrails should be even better. Most people don't like the mavic freehub though. Tends to wear out pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
    I had a set of mavics low end crossrides for a while. I too ride just XC, At that time I weighed about the same as you, they held up fine for wheels that had a 180 pound weight limit.

The crosstrails should be even better. Most people don't like the mavic freehub though. Tends to wear out pretty quickly.
    Thanx for the reply. I was looking at the crossrides as well. Mavic makes some really good looking stuff. They were on sale for like $170 for a set, but I was afraid of those because many people complained about the hubs breaking and the freehub as you mentioned. The crosstrails looked good but a little over my budget. They would have actually been like $350.

I ended up buying a set of Xenduros for $199 after Performance gave an additional 15% off the sale price. Never paid much attention to them but what caught my attention was the fact that they were only 1938g a set. I didn't want to get a heavier set than what I already have and I wanted something stronger within a $200 budget. Hard to find this combo. These have sealed catridge bearings, 32 3X double butted spokes, and thru-axle conversion for 9mm, 15mm, or 20mm. The rear is a thru-axle as well. Seems like quality stuff and the few reviews I've seen looks pretty good. I get no bling but if I don't like'm I can always return them to Performance. I may just rip these lame stickers off though. I'll do a review in about a month. If they don't work, I'll spring for the crosstrails.

wanna be

Watch out for the pawls

We clydes do have a tendancy to turn lower end drive hubs to dust, especially right at the crest of rainbars or big rocks. Do keep us posted on their durability
    mario