mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What is the cutoff for a clyd?

Over 200 lbs? Some races have clydesdale divisions I think so there must be some official weight threshold.

Thanks

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Over 200 lbs? Some races have clydesdale divisions I think so there must be some official weight threshold.

Thanks
    For racing, yes - the Clydesale Category is for males that are at least 200 pounds at weigh in (must weigh at least 200 pounds in just bike shorts, socks and shirt). It's used in tri's as well, but I suppose invididual series may have their own weight limit to enter the Clyde category (be it 200, 210, 220, or whatever).

turtles make me hot
    200 pounds is a distant memory for me. They could weigh me in boxer briefs and I'm 255.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. That means I'm a clyde. I don't race so I guess it makes no real difference. I am about 208.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    200 pounds is a distant memory for me. They could weigh me in boxer briefs and I'm 255.
    Well, at least in terms of tri's - I believe a rule change went into effect this year that was passed in April of last year.

The USAT national board just passed this revision of the USAT Rule Book, Article III, General Rules and Conduct, Rule 3.2, regarding the Athena and Clyde class. The resolution passed on April 2.

"The weight standards will commence in effect on January 1, 2013.
    Female weight class (Athena) 165 pounds
    Male weight class (Clydesdale) 220 pounds"

Prior to that, it was 200 for Clydes and 150 for Athenas.

Not sure if a similar type of change will be used for various mountain bike series, but it makes sense. Plenty of guys in great shape (muscular builds) that are tall and weigh in the 190 - 220 range that challenge and keep pace with a lot of riders that weigh a lot less.

On the other hand, USA Cycyling doesn't recognize Clydes as a category - so no points are awarded. That doesn't stop most series from including it as I do believe it is important to offer opportunities for all. It's nice to see the option available at races to keep things fun for everyone.

I now know the OP was more interested in what qualifies as a "Clyde" for the sake of bike frames/components - not racing. Not sure there is an actual cut off for that, but we could probably use the weight recommendations for certain components as a "cut off" since some of the wheels have limits of 210, 220, 225 pounds, etc... . Probably best to view it more as the demands on equipment increase as the big and tall size increases for the rider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think 220 makes more sense than 200. I am 6'1" and I'm definitely carrying some extra weight. 18 years ago when I was in great shape I weighed about 195. That would be borderline Clydesdale but wouldn't warrant a separate class. I weigh about 13 pounds more now but have gained more than 13 lbs of fat (lost muscle). I a hoping to get back down to 195 but it is harder with age.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It would make more sense to do a height/weight ratio, but that would probably overcomplicate it; something like 3 pounds or more per inch of height. I was just reading in the Mountain Bikers Training Bible that the average height/weight of the elite podium guys is 2 pounds per inch of height.
    There's a local guy who races clyde and just kills everybody else, he is about 6'6" and very fit, just a big/strong/fit guy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, that would make a lot more sense. There's a big difference between 5'6", 200 lbs and 6'6", 200 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: What is the cutoff for a clyd?

I agree. The highest I placed in a triathlon was 5th. 1-4 were all 6'-4" or taller and skinny as rails. Bummer for me, no prizes! Hah

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You know, as a 210 geared mini-clyde (new term - huhuhuhuh?), I never feel like a clyde until I ride with the little spirits that are 120-140 pounds. Then I feel like a clyde. But, when I compare my clydness to the 250+ guys, then I don't feel that I'm clyde status.

That ends my quick thought for the day...you may continue.

mtbr member
    I've only done 3 or 4 races I'm 5'10" 250ish, IMHO Its much more rewarding to place 9th or 10th out of 20 or 25 in a cat 3 race and have my fatass blow the doors off a couple 170lbs dudes than it is to podium on the fat guy group. In my area the Clydesdale groups have some sandbaggers too. If your 5'10" and 205 man up and race novice or sport, and let the true fatties battle it out in Clydesdale...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    220 is generally the cut off point for clydes. Super clydes are 260 and pachyderms are 300+ unfortunately I am the later at 335

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    A Clydesdale is a large muscular horse. I've never seen a short chubby Clydesdale. Just sayin'.

I'm 6'3" 220 and muscular, I got blamed for sandbagging in Clyde class(by the short chubby guys) and told to get my big a$$ out of the way in reg class. I gave up racing a couple years ago because of this, I see its still not sorted.

Maybe Clyde should be 6'+/215+, short chubbies should ride beginner/novice. Regardless, I only ride for fun now.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member

What is the cutoff for a clyd?

You know I'm a Clyde and I kinda resent being referred to as a draft horse! Wouldn't mind being hung like one but its funny how that works out. Well anyhow since I'm obviously doomed to be a Clyde I made up my own logo
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastslowpronewb View Post
    You know, as a 210 geared mini-clyde (new term - huhuhuhuh?), I never feel like a clyde until I ride with the little spirits that are 120-140 pounds. Then I feel like a clyde. But, when I compare my clydness to the 250+ guys, then I don't feel that I'm clyde status.

That ends my quick thought for the day...you may continue.
    I never feel big either at 6'7" 270 pounds but I was always the runt of the family. However I have been in Europe since 2004 and often I see people who are like 120 pounds.

The first major group of little people I saw was back in 2005 in Spain at a race I just happened upon. My first thought was this is so cool these people supporting their youth in riding, just figured they where like teens. When it was over I saw these dudes where actually adults. LOL

In France just about everyone I see is tiny, In southern Germany there are many riders my size, in the Netherlands sometimes I think I am the runt again. In northern Germany they are just tiny little people, In Luxembourg they have guns and try to jack your rig so I avoid and do not remember sizes only the calibers. Switzerland, Austria, Italy it is like the US all sizes ad generally I do not stand out too bad.

But the UK is the best, they are funny small and talk even more funny.