Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

What is a clydesdale?

At what weight are you considered a clyde? I am on the tall end of things at 6 ft 5 in but only weight 200 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it is generally considered to be over 200 lbs.
    Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    6'5" and only 200 pounds? You need to eat your wheaties!

As far as cycling goes from what i've seen at 200lbs you are considered a clide. So I guess at 250+ your a Hoss and at 300+ your a Beast.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

gravity fighter
    I think we need a new category for the tall but sub 200.

Giraffe?

AZ
    banned
    Tradition sets Clyde @ 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffed

As far as cycling goes from what i've seen at 200lbs you are considered a clide. So I guess at 250+ your a Hoss and at 300+ your a Beast.
    Nice.. i was a beast at 330.. now im a Hoss at 295 .. hopefully be a clyde by years end tho.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVianTiCoN
    Nice.. i was a beast at 330.. now im a Hoss at 295 .. hopefully be a clyde by years end tho.
    You're almost the same as me! .. I was 330 at my worst, I think 320 when started seriously biking, and last week I was 300.8 ... so when I go to measure this weekend, you bet I'm gonna starve, ****, and strip, to get into that Hoss category!
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito
    I think we need a new category for the tall but sub 200.

Giraffe?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Also, many races include a Clydale categorey, which is for riders over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    I call it the Mendoza Line, which is an old baseball term for someone who bats less than .200. I have been trying to get under it for a while now - like 12 years. I am currently stuck at about 208.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

ha

I like this thread...................it makes me laugh

Just don't forget................most of the peeps on this forum appear to be very happy and enjoy their riding a lot more than peeps on some of the other forums. The weight thing is the only downer for some of us......as we know its harder to get up hills etc.

Are well..........more chicken salad for supper

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    clydes have more fun on the downhill !!

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by p0n3y
    clydes have more fun on the downhill !!
    My skinny ride partner is always pedaling on the downs while I just cruz.
    Of course he has to wait patiently for me at the top of every climb

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    When people comment that I go downhill faster than them I say " I Am Gravity Enhanced"
    Chet

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgo
    At what weight are you considered a clyde? I am on the tall end of things at 6 ft 5 in but only weight 200 lbs.
    The greatest riders there are....duh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I asked the same question, then realized at 6"4 220lbs I apparently fit in this class.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 6'7" 320, this must put me a whole new category of clyde? I just have to stay focused.....veggies, water, veggies, water, veggies, water.....Then maybe I will get to 260!!!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Clyde just means you drank too much Budweiser... but tradition dies hard for the term. I might be a Moose, but it doesn't mean I can drink enough Moose Drool beer.

thread killer
    one of these guys is a Clyde. can you guess which one is me?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

hahha

Quote Originally Posted by WTF-IDK
    one of these guys is a Clyde. can you guess which one is me?
    I like that...................

Just remember.....you look as though your enjoying yourself as much as the other two.....thats what its about.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    uber clyd here @ a smidge over 300#...

that being said... clyd class is there because a 201# guy who is very fit is still going to get his arse handed to him (specificly up hills) by a similarly fit 145# rider with similar technical skills... it's the same kind of reason they have weight classes in boxing and wreseling but in those the big guy (usualy) has the advantage...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motocross93
    I'm 6'7" 320, this must put me a whole new category of clyde? I just have to stay focused.....veggies, water, veggies, water, veggies, water.....Then maybe I will get to 260!!!
    if your a clyde like me, then you mean - veggies, water, pizza, veggies, water, tacos, veggies, cheese, koolaidd, ect...

lol

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wow... lol 6' 220lbs and 15 years old... do i qualify as a clyde?

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Maybe a Jr. Clyde

Extra Crispy
    I got into biking wishing I could get out of the Clyde category. This thread has made me realize it's okay to be a Clyde. 6'1 and at my worst a month or two after a surgery, I was 235. I'm down to about 218, but I'd love to get back under 200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    uber clyd here @ a smidge over 300#...

that being said... clyd class is there because a 201# guy who is very fit is still going to get his arse handed to him (specificly up hills) by a similarly fit 145# rider with similar technical skills... it's the same kind of reason they have weight classes in boxing and wreseling but in those the big guy (usualy) has the advantage...
    I would love to hear an explanation of the weight effect on climbing. I've been asking a similar question on the thread I started at Having trouble climbing -

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's simple physics. Downhill, you're releasing potential energy and uphill you're storing potential energy. The bigger the mass, the greater the energy.

One other advantage we big guys have is with head winds. Just as greater mass obliterates wind and rolling resistance downhill, we usually have a higher ratio of mass to surface area effected by headwinds.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite
    It's simple physics. Downhill, you're releasing potential energy and uphill you're storing potential energy. The bigger the mass, the greater the energy.

One other advantage we big guys have is with head winds. Just as greater mass obliterates wind and rolling resistance downhill, we usually have a higher ratio of mass to surface area effected by headwinds.
    Isnt that a disadvantage? So much area to be affected by the wind?
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It varies by individual and stance, but compared to my riding buddies, I'm much thicker than I am wider so that, while I have slightly more wind resistance, I have much more mass for the resistance to try to effect.

turtles make me hot
    Even if I get to a 36" waist and as thin as I can get, I can only get down to 209. My wife told me I was too thin. I guess I'm a clyde for life. Ideal fighting weight for me is 220. Got 35 pounds to go.
    I like turtles

Life is Go0d!
    At least us clydes are not wasting money on razors for our legs... well most of us. Thank god for baggy shorts too!
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    LOL...this thread is cracking me up. Thanks for the help. I am working on putting on a few pounds, lifting and no cardio right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Funny Post!
    It looks like I fit here 5'9" and an average of 215 Lbs. and have no problem. I am fit and will not give up my beer to go lower.

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffed

i am a borderline "Beast"

6' and 3 hundy

09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

Prodigy321
    Jul 2009
    Wow, I would never had considered myself a clyde, but I guess anything over 200# is, so I guess at 210 and 5'9" 18% body fat, I am definately a clyde, but maybe a compact clyde.

I just started riding heavily (alot to me is 10-15 miles a day). Getting ready for a Dawn till Dusk ride out here in AZ. But I have a hard time dropping the weight, as I weight lift every day. I need to get lean, but right now I am pretty bulky.

I guess it is a lifestyle choice, I eat pretty healthy. But I need to decide if I am going to want to get better at biking and lean up, or stay bulky and deal with feeling like a sail everytime I ride into the wind

back on the horse
    i'm 5'9" and around 230, maybe a little less. i would like to get down to 185 again. That really is about as small as i could go with my bone structure and muscle mass. maybe 170, but that would be the minimum i would want to be at. I'm not going to go XC racing anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MallardMauler
    i am a borderline "Beast"

6' and 3 hundy

That's me too! I'm 6'5" ~300# . I started riding again to drop back down to my cycling weight ~215# mostly muscle. I was a climbing beast then... Not super fast, but I could climb steep all day w/o a granny gear on my creaky old Chrome Moly 10speed..

Now I'm a FOG Clyde for life. But I'm trying to get back to being a fit one.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 5'11" and right around 225 right now on my scale (230 on my docs scale) That's down just about 40lbs and I can honestly say that I feel much better out riding, but I still fit well into this category. The major downside to losing the weight is having to buy new clothes, its darn expensive.

I'm hoping to get down to 185, but I figure that I'll always be in, or right near to clyde territory.

On a side note, my old doctor was smoking something. I am a big guy overall, especially in the shoulders. My shoulders are more of a XXL shirt size even when other parts fit into an XL. But according to him I should weight somewhere around 160lbs. I really love some of those numbers, and I've got no clue where he pulled it from. For me to weight 160 I'd have to have no body fat and lose a limb.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    techy101, your doc almost certainly got that figure from a Body Mass Index (BMI) calculation. The BMI was originally invented in the 1800's and is a less than perfect measure of over-weightness. Like you, I never expect to get down to the weight the BMI would set for me and I think a close look at medical studies might back this up.

"The medical establishment has generally acknowledged some shortcomings of BMI.[16] Because the BMI is dependent only upon weight and height, it makes simplistic assumptions about distribution of muscle and bone mass, and thus may overestimate adiposity on those with more lean body mass (e.g. athletes) while underestimating adiposity on those with less lean body mass (e.g. the elderly)."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    +1 on the body mass index being 'a bit off'. I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs (right now). Based on the BMI my cardiologist said I needed to get below 200 lbs. I laughed and told her the last time I weighted less than 200 lbs was 5th grade. I'm 50 now. Now when I go to the doctor I tell her I haven't reached my 4th grade weight yet.

BTW - the reason I know it was 5th grade is I had just started playing football and coach wanted me to get over 200 lbs. So he made a big deal out if it when I did. Sometimes there is an advantage to being a clyde.

turtles make me hot
    Sheeit. My skeleton probably weighs 150 pounds.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I found my place

I'm 6'4", 270#...down from 298# at the beginning of the year. Given up on running, and have decided that biking is what I want to do. Definitely couldn't 'do' road biking-waaaayyyy too many nasty road bikers around here

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeuel
    I found my place

I'm 6'4", 270#...down from 298# at the beginning of the year. Given up on running, and have decided that biking is what I want to do. Definitely couldn't 'do' road biking-waaaayyyy too many nasty road bikers around here

welcome and thanks for choosing the right path.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Loving this thread! I'm around 5' 10" and currently 220 lbs. I started riding just over 3 months ago at 245 lbs - the heaviest I've ever been. I'd like to get back to 185 or so. I saw 165 my freshman year in college, and I looked like skin and bones!

Love the ride - 14 to 16 miles is about it right now. Love the bike, love the trail, love the camaraderie from many of the riders I've met. (And just for fun, the BMI says I should weigh between 145 to 155... Yeah right!!)

Masters' class Clydesdale
    I'm currently 5' 10" & a soggy 225 after a few years of sickness and operations. Previously a fit 220ish and would like to get back in that range. Does anyone have a suggestion on an all mountain bike, fork or frame that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    6'1" 208 and I just started racing my age group instead of clyde. Im in the top 5 in the Sport class and I plan on being at the top of that class by the time I hit 190. I love the little guys, love beating them into the ground that is. lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A MTB Phenom. Da-Doom!!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    5'11 301lbs looking to reach 275 soon proud to be a Clyde! I have some extra "stuff" under my belt but I also have alot of muscle. Just looking to lean up and show it off!

Spin On
    Mongoose Blackcomb, WTB saddle, RST FS, Disk brakes, Needs new tires lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2
    +1 on the body mass index being 'a bit off'. I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs (right now). Based on the BMI my cardiologist said I needed to get below 200 lbs. I laughed and told her the last time I weighted less than 200 lbs was 5th grade. I'm 50 now. Now when I go to the doctor I tell her I haven't reached my 4th grade weight yet.

BTW - the reason I know it was 5th grade is I had just started playing football and coach wanted me to get over 200 lbs. So he made a big deal out if it when I did. Sometimes there is an advantage to being a clyde.

BMI calculations are garbage for many. My doc even told me it's not a valid and reliable measuring tool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    good to see other big guys out ther biking. I'm 6'6" 285lbs. Just picking up mountain biking, hoping that 285 will be a bit lower in the coming months

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast