Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

What clipless pedals are clydes not breaking??

I need some opinions on buying clipless pedals for me. I am 245 out of the shower. I have broken some pedals in the past. I don't know if I should buy extra pairs and keep them in my camelback or buy good ones. Thanks

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i use all sorts of shimanos and am only 15# lighter than you.

never had problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I also run shimano, I am 20# heavier than you are and have never had a problem.

local trails rider
    I've been happy with Time pedals. Their ROC ATAC models are the best I've tried so far. I am not quite your weight, but no lightweight either.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've done Shimanos (520s) but where I live they don't clear if you have to dab. I've also run Crank Bros Eggbeater C's and Acid 1's (base model, but not the MXR) and had no issues. I started off at ~260# and am sitting in the 240# range.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Time Z is @ the top of my list....
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    Time ROC ATAC's. Bullet proof! Cleats don't last as long as spd but its worth it for the simplicity and float of the system. Good luck

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm rolling nashbar SPD's (came on the bike and work fine with my old SPD clips) with out problem and i'm a good 50# heavier then you... back in the day i had low end shimano and never had a prob with em (lost em while i was between bikes)... i'll go with shimano when I upgrade again...

was riding with a guy with candyC's and he snapped it like a twig (guy was right around 200#)... he stepped on the pedal in a turn and snap off it came... pedal stuck to his shoe... he got to one pedal it out... we where JUST starting in the ride so no biggie...still sucked for him... i won't try em...

still want to try the TIME pedals...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Time ATAC Carbons have been great for me. When I started out I was on Shimanos (I was about 15 lbs. heavier than you then) & wanted something "better"... I jumped on the Times & haven't looked back. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Time ATAC Alium here.

mtbr member
    Time.

Are you gonna eat that?
    SPD-M540s here, run them on both my trail and street bikes, have had numerous pedal strikes without a single issue and I'm 275 down from 300 (well, down from 400+ if you go back far enough, but I wasn't riding back then )
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Shimano 520 works great for me.

turtles make me hot
    I weigh 260 and I use Crank Bros Mallets. Haven't been able to hurt em yet.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Shimano 540s for me with no problems. 225#

BIG and Bald
    Time Atac's or Time Z's. Either way, go with Times.
    Eat to Live...not the other way around

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    I use Crank Brothers egg beater (stainless) and Candys without any problems at 240. Have fun.

Optimum Value
    SPD 520's are great overall pedals and they use the same clipless system on a spin bike, which is why I bought them.

mtbr member
    I'm 270 and use Crank Bros Mallets and they've held up fine thru last year. Had to replace the cleats once though.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    time pedals for me as well. i run teh carbons on the xc bike and the Z's on the AM bike and they have held up every well. also the Z's use to be on the dh bike without problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 265, probably add another 10 pounds with gear and a full camelbak.

I ride Time Atacs and they are amazing pedals, no problems at all. Pricepoint always has good prices on them and they do great in the mud as well.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Time ATAC Zs for 3 years now,
    Time ATAC Aliums before that.

Never broken.
    Never maintained.
    Just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Time ATAC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've ridden Times and Eggbeaters and I have been 240-260lbs the past few years riding. Make sure when you buy either one that you buy the models with the stainless steel spindles. The models with the stainless spindles should survive any Clyde.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have been using Time pedals for 8 years. I run Time Z on both of my bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Same Time ATAC pedals for the past 10 years or so, been on three different bikes and still going strong.

Probably drunk right now

Any...

Any pedal type will work fine. There are durable SPD's, Times, Crank Brothers, Frogs, etc.

It's personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Another vote for Time's, durable, easy to clip in when money, and clyde proof for this 265 pounder.

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Time Z's....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Currently ..
    ATAC Z on the MTB, ATAC Alium on the road bike

Used to run with Mallet Ms, snapped 3 spindles. CB was good enough to send me 2 rebuild kits and 10 (!) spare spindles so I can maintain my pedals. These will prob go on my 13 y/o son's bike.

275# megaclyde.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    time ATAC Z's for me- I'm 285. I haven't had them for years, but they seem to be great. I like them more than my old shimano's thats for sure...

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Any pedal type will work fine. There are durable SPD's, Times, Crank Brothers, Frogs, etc.

It's personal preference.
    True enough. But.
    I have seen enough broken Eggbeaters to make me worry a bit. At least stay away from the cheapest and the titanium versions.

Captain Underpants
    Eggbeaters, and I'm fatter than any of you

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ATAC XS and ATAC XS Carbons currently. 6',1" and 235
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Time ATAC Zs for 3 years now,
    Time ATAC Aliums before that.

Never broken.
    Never maintained.
    Just ride.
    I'm with stupid.

4 years on my Times ATAC Z platforms and I got you by 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    CB Acid 2's and I am 270 with gear. I have never hear anyone with any issues with CB Clipless pedals and a lot of us here ride them. I am with the personal choice option, get what you want because anything you get should hold up to your weight.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller
    I have never hear anyone with any issues with CB Clipless pedals
    OK, here's one:

Broken titanium spindle. The rider is lightweight but rides a lot. The guys at the LBS once showed me a plastic tray full of toasted Eggbeater bearings.

willtsmith_nwi

Breaking axels

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller
    CB Acid 2's and I am 270 with gear. I have never hear anyone with any issues with CB Clipless pedals and a lot of us here ride them. I am with the personal choice option, get what you want because anything you get should hold up to your weight.
    I'm starting to get the idea that it may have more to do with riding style. I ride anywhere between 270# and 290# and I kill one or two mallet axels every year (Both the old Mallets and the new Mallet design). I ride on trails with steep hills so I tend to stand and mash with 100% effort.

I've been using Acids on my road bike. One of the pedals bodies just came free from the axle (luckily I could still ride home). Lightening struck twice in one week. It's bad enough that I think I need to carry a pair of backup pedals with me.

I've read that Times are great but I've also talked to small guys who bend the axels. Who knows. I emailed Crank Brothers last week and they uncharacteristically have not gotten back to me. What to do? Especially when going to another type of pedal will cost hundreds of dollars.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hello fellow Clydes.

I am running an old school piar of Look Moab S2(red) clipless pedals. In my prime I'm 250 lbs. Last few years...not so prime. I have had zero trouble with these pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any good Cromo spindle should work.

But I would take atac's over egg beaters anyday.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I tried two different models of Egg beaters but they didn't hold up - trashed bearings (which allows the entire body to fall off) and broken spindles. I've had best luck with steel spindle Time ATACs.

mtbr member
    Crank Bros. Candy SL. They held up perfectly when I was @ 260 pounds... now that I'm 30 pounds lighter I expect they will continue to work very well.

Making fat cool since '71
    OK, just venting at the moment...

My history with breaking pedals is pretty well documented. Tonight on our regular Tuesday-night ride I had another Crank bros spindle bust. 3 drive side spindles in less than 3 years...I will not go into the other failures...ugh...I think I'd be throwing rocks at the CB building if it wasn't for their excellent customer service. It's now ridiculous, officially.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde

My history with breaking pedals is pretty well documented. Tonight on our regular Tuesday-night ride I had another Crank bros spindle bust. 3 drive side spindles in less than 3 years...I will not go into the other failures...ugh...I think I'd be throwing rocks at the CB building if it wasn't for their excellent customer service. It's now ridiculous, officially.

Brock...
    <cough> TIME <cough>

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde

Brock...
    The Performance Bike retail store at Mall 205 in Portland has a few Time ATAC XS on clearance for $103.50 (after using coupon code 540). I'm too cheap and went with the ATAC Alium from PricePoint for $50, however.

local trails rider
    If you are ordering anything from http://www.chainreactioncycles.com , check if they still have Time ROC ATAC in stock...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have been running a pair of Shimano 646 pedals for almost 10 years. They have seen 3 sets of cranks and 2 frames fall under them, but they are still fine. I have never even touched them except to swap crank arms. I weigh about 280lbs. I think they are hard to find these days, but I plan to try a set of 647s if these ever die.
    Big guys need bikes too!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i've seen chromo spindle CB's snap 1st hand... was riding right behind a semi big guy (might JUST be a clyd)... put power down coming out of a corner and SNAP... pedal stuck to the shoe... broke on the spindle same place as the pic above...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I run SPD's (515, 520, 540's... they're all basically the same), haven't broken one, or see one broken yet. The guys I ride with all run crank brothers and I see them come apart on the trail 3 or 4 times a season. Broken springs, shot bearings, broken wings... etc. Crank Bros. is great with warrantying them, which almost makes the pedals' tendency to explode tolerable, but who wants a pedal that will likely fail along the trail once per season?

SPDs, ride em and forget em.

Also I just picked up some 520's from JensonUSA for $36! Tough to beat quality at that price point.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Avoid Crank Bros Smarty

These came on my Stumpjumper FSR Comp and after three rides they are creaking and there's play in the bearings. I ordered a pair of Shimanos as replacements. I rode of 525 or 535 shimanos (can't recall the exact model) for a number of years on my Stumpjumper HT and they held up great. I was about 200lbs then, and am 225 now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast