Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What cheap car / truck for a tall immigrant?

Greetings

I'm a 6'7" Brit moving to the US in 2013. I married an American girl so now it is my turn to move to the former colony and take up the missionary work!

I need a cheapish runaround as the long-haired general wants an SUV, so the new car will be hers. I'm after anything from a VW Passat 4motion estate upwards - quite like the idea of one of those Elements if I can get one cheap enough, or a smallish pickup with a crew cab. Any thoughts on what I might want to try for size when I land?

As I am all man, no need for anything with a stupidly big engine. I have nothing to prove.

mtbr member
    Toyota Tacoma. I'm not sure on mileage, but it's the one I would buy if I had common sense.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A tacoma would be too small. I'm only 6'5 and there's not enough knee room for me to drive a tacoma.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Any other requirements?

mtbr member
    Small to midsize trucks generally do not have the leg room, I drive a Ford Ranger at work and I barely fit at 6' in the thing. Actually I used to drive a Ford Escape at my last job and it had more leg room!

My personal truck is a Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab and it has pretty decent leg room. Gets about 4mpg less per gallon than most mid-size trucks on average.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o0obruceleeo0o View Post
    A tacoma would be too small. I'm only 6'5 and there's not enough knee room for me to drive a tacoma.
    Ah, I didn't even think about the knee room (I'm 5'6", and I think this is the first time I ever thought about knee room since I started driving in 98 ).

How about 4 Runner then? I'm assuming SUV's seat would move back more than a truck's?
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Greetings

I'm a 6'7" Brit moving to the US in 2013. I married an American girl so now it is my turn to move to the former colony and take up the missionary work!

I need a cheapish runaround as the long-haired general wants an SUV, so the new car will be hers. I'm after anything from a VW Passat 4motion estate upwards - quite like the idea of one of those Elements if I can get one cheap enough, or a smallish pickup with a crew cab. Any thoughts on what I might want to try for size when I land?

As I am all man, no need for anything with a stupidly big engine. I have nothing to prove.
    What did you drive back home?
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I currently drive a Volvo V50 which is a great fit. My wife currently has a Nissan X Trail, the European version of the XTerra. I know I fit in a Kia Sorrento (probably her car when we move). These aren't much help as the US market is so unique with most models on the CONUS not available elsewhere. I have been really annoyed on previous visits to the States with the lack of space in most all vehicles. Given the overall much bigger size it doesn't transfer to the driver position.

As far as other requirements go - not much. I can put a bike on the outside of most things. 4WD might be nice, but other than getting 2 adults and a kid in, nothing else needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You're in luck mate. 6'8" Valet here

My pick : Subaru Outback, Forester

GMC Acadia
    Ford Escape, Explorer
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda CRV, Pilot
    Cadillac SRX

Volkswagon Toureg
    Audi Q7
    Lexus RX330
    BMX X5, X6
    Mercedes GLK, M, R

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm 6'5" and drive a 2005 Accord with enough room. It's not overly roomy, but it's much better than many similar cars. It's a soulless, gutless wonder, if that's your thing.

I also have a 2000 GMC Sierra and much prefer driving it.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I am 6 '7" and find most cars don't fit and that also includes some SUV's and trucks.

I have driven a full size Quad Ram pickup that I loved to drive but not all that fuel efficient.
    Then I traded it in for a Subaru Forester 2009.
    Love driving my Subie and it is amazing in snow and icy conditions. Lots of head room!!!!

I find Toyota's tight for head room, most chevy's, some fords and also dodge except the full size trucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham77 View Post

GMC Acadia
    Ford Escape, Explorer
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda CRV, Pilot
    Cadillac SRX

Volkswagon Toureg
    Audi Q7
    Lexus RX330
    BMX X5, X6
    Mercedes GLK, M, R
    I'm 6'6" and can barely stand to drive my wife's 08 outback. Just slightly too small as far as leg room goes. I used to drive a Tacoma extended cab prerunner with little issue. Now I have an FJ Cruiser and have more than enough leg room. i mount my bikes to the roof rack which isn't a big deal for us tall guys but you could buy a hitch carrier which simplifies a good bit? but I don't know if it classifies as cheap for you - it didn't for me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham77 View Post

GMC Acadia
    Ford Escape, Explorer
    Toyota Highlander
    Honda CRV, Pilot
    Cadillac SRX

Volkswagon Toureg
    Audi Q7
    Lexus RX330
    BMX X5, X6
    Mercedes GLK, M, R
    Have you noticed how many of those cars are NOT American?

I guess I just need to get my wife into a REALLY good job quickly and accept I'll never see 59mpg again (I know US gallons are smaller than UK gallons and diesel is rare in cars, but I love having a station wagon that I've had up to 59.1mpg on a long run). Thanks all for the inputs.

mtbr member
    Easy:

Ford Flex

I hated the car until I sat in it. Then I had to have it. I (at 6'7") can sit behind me in it. Most room I have ever had in a vehicle before.

It's all wheel drive. Comes with a 365hp engine that I have tuned to be putting out nearly 400hp at the wheels.

EDIT: Oooopppssss, just saw you said cheapish...sorry, new it's not heap. A used one maybe...
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Have you noticed how many of those cars are NOT American?

I guess I just need to get my wife into a REALLY good job quickly and accept I'll never see 59mpg again (I know US gallons are smaller than UK gallons and diesel is rare in cars, but I love having a station wagon that I've had up to 59.1mpg on a long run). Thanks all for the inputs.
    Yes I know, but in terms of overall value including resale I just can't recommend generally any Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Buick. They're just not keeping pace with what Ford is doing. If you're leaning towards a domestic I'd put all my recommendation on Ford and Cadillac.

Subarus were hard to fit 4-5 years ago. The present models however I'm surprised with how well I fit. Bright cabin, intuitive designed interior with the right amount of features. Drive amazing, and don't fall apart in a couple years Dodge *cough* Chrysler *cough*

FKA Malibu412
    fish, seriously? You have a Flex doing 12.25 with a 4 at 110??? Love modern day sleepers!
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    May 2005
    F-150 p/u with a bed cover and you are all set....even the regular cab has a lot of leg room.... used to have a Lightning, but drive a Tundra now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    fish, seriously? You have a Flex doing 12.25 with a 4 at 110??? Love modern day sleepers!
    Same drive train as the Ford Taurus SHO, and an Ecoboost twin turbo v6 motor. A great motor!
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    I got a buddy whose got a Honda Element and I was amazed how you sit down in the thing...there was alot of room in the thing...alot of head room..but he's not 6'7"...and he can take alot of stuff plus a couple of bikes..its a neat vehicle..not enough engine but for what its worth...it seemed like a good deal.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey TooTallUK,

Lots of good suggestions here, and l hope you get to the right vehicle for you.

I did want to give you a warning on the Element. I have been an extremely satisfied owner of one since 2004. It is a *great* car for MTB (can put my Large full-suspension 29er inside w/o even lowering the seat) and many other active endeavors. BUT, I am just 6' tall, and the seat barely gives me enough room at its furthest-aft position. I doubt you'd find it comfortable with the stock seating track.

Good news is that there is tons of room betwen front and rear seating, and lots of headroom as well. If there were some way to extend or reposition the front seat track, you should be OK. If you're still considering one, you could go check out the elementownersclub forums to see how the tall folks solve this problem.

Good luck with your move and car selection,
    Paul

PS - my element is a 2004 model year. Perhaps they've addressed this issue in later years?

mtbr member
    There will be differences for everyone considering their own leg length and torso lengths.

That said, I am 6'2" and have loved the room in my '92 Dodge Dakota p/u. Not sure how they are currently though. Plenty of headroom and legroom for me all these years. I got it up in Alaska, new, eventually driving it down here to Northern Cali', to Utah, Missouri, Texas... it's been a great truck. It's dying a slow death now, so hopefully next year I'll pick up a new 4-door p/u. I was hoping for something like a Tacoma or Frontier.

I did purchase a Prius in 2008 and I've had lots of room in that car! I have had guys a bit taller than me who seemed to fit in it well.
    I can even fit in the back seat comfortably.
    I use my 1UpUSA rack for both vehicles with no problems. I've carried two bikes in the racks with a bmx bike wedged in between, out to Paradise Royale which is a 2 hour drive, part of that on dirt road, with no problem.

I've slept inside the car, stretched from one rear to front, but that was not the most comfortable sleep I've had in a car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 6'8 and drove an Element on a road trip 5 hrs each way. The dimensions are pretty good and I fit well EXCEPT the damn centre consoles bottem left corner starts aggravating your knee over the course of time.

If I was saddles with one I'd prob take a grinder to it, or move the tracks but it's hard to say if that would fix the issue, IMO you would still be limited to driving straight legged, can never kick out that knee and let the boys breathe

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Another nod to the Outback... the 2010 and up are bigger than the older models.

I'm 6'8" and just picked up a new 2013 Outback and have gobs of head and leg room, if I were to have a complaint, it would be that the seat bottoms are touch short.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    7'2 - I would recommend a Tacoma Quad cab, BMW X5, Nissan Titan or Audi Q7. Have the first 2 had the last 2. But it all debend on haw you sit. Long legs, long torso and seating angle.

gravity fighter
    I'm 6'2 and have plenty of room in my 05 Forester. I had the new Outback for a couple of days as a loaner while the wifes car was in the shop and it was very roomy. I had plenty of spare headroom even with the sunroof. Legroom seemed very good as well (I wasn't all the way back on the rails like most cars)
    Worth a look if you need the AWD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast