mtbr member
    Apr 2006

What to buy 6' 4" 315-320 lbs

I posted this question up in the What Bike to Buy forum and it was suggested that I put it here instead/also so here goes.

I have been refered to MTBR by many people so I figured I would check it out and see what advice I can get.

I am 6' 4" tall and weigh 315-320. I am looking to do roughly 85% aggressive trail riding and 15% leisurely to moderate downhill. I am looking for recommendations as to what manufacturers offer bikes that will handle my weight and not break all the time. I understand that with my size I will more than likely break things, wheels especially, but I don't want to replace parts every time I ride if you know what I mean.

I live in Massachusetts right on the NH line so I will be riding mostly woods and trails of that nature. I am not really familiar with what is available in the area as I have not ridden a mountain bike here more than just renting one and riding the fire roads in Maine. I am basing my riding off of what I used to do on a BMX and how I ride four wheelers etc. I am pretty agressive when it comes to going fast through the woods and figure I will be the same when it comes to mountain biking.

So far a couple of local bike dealers have pointed me towards the Specialized BigHit FSR 1 and the Haro Extreme X7. These two bikes fall in the roughly $1500 price bracket which I don't mind being in. I don't want to get into anything much more than that if I can help it. I realize that the BigHit and the X7 aren't exactly cut out for aggressive trail riding per se but all the more trail oriented stuff I have looked at does not look as though it will handle my weight very well. Another message board I frequent had some people suggesting the Kona Coiler also.

Any help in pointing me towards a bike that will fit somewhere into all these things would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

two words...

"Heck-ler"

mine is on it's way...stay tuned for the ride report (I'm 6'5" 270)

bob~

Sumo-Clydedale
    I am 6'4" /just under 300lbs. I ride a Kona Hoss. I like the frame, and believe it will be sumo-clyde proof. I picked up a frame and pieced together my component group. The bike is near perfect for me at this point. I spent well under $1500.