mtbr member

What benefit will I see with a new fork?

My new bike has a Dart 3. I knew buying the bike that this was not a desirable fork, especially for me as a heavy weight. I have only been on the trails once with the bike since I got it and I rode with the fork locked out and it seemed alright. A few times I did feel the fork bottom out but otherwise it seemed to ride great. Now I have never had a bike with a nice fork so I cannot really compare so I am just wondering what I could expect if I upgraded to a better fork like a Tora 318 Air or a Reba, ect.?

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    honestly, i say wait till you break it or bottom out too much before investin in a better fork... is the dart3 an air fork? if it is you could just pump it up higher...
    what kind of bike you riding it on?
    the dart3 is rockshox entry level fork which means it is for entry level riders, buying a new/ higher level fork may have more features than you really need,,, but if it is weight that is the problem, i do think a higher grade fork may last longer/work better...

if bottoming out is your main concern you may be able to have your LBS to install a higher rated spring...

bottom line IMO is to wait untill you destroy your current one or try to test drive a nicer one... in my experience air is better than coil because you can customize it to the spring rate you want and air has a less linear spring rate meaning it is harder to bottom out...

good luck

mtbr member
    Thanks. No, the dart 3 is not an air fork. I was going to wait most likely until next year before upgrading anyways. The fork is on my new Specialized Rockhopper Comp. 29er.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    Thanks. No, the dart 3 is not an air fork. I was going to wait most likely until next year before upgrading anyways. The fork is on my new Specialized Rockhopper Comp. 29er.

sick, i want your bike..., im suprised they put a dart on that stock...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OSCMTB
    Better traction, better small bump compliance, more adjustability. Those are probably the biggest three benefits. Higher end forks are generally lighter and stiffer as well.

Ride the bike for a while, give the fork a chance. The Tora is a step above the Dart, a much better fork for sure, but save your money and keep your eyes open for deals on a Reba, which is a step above the Tora.

Also make sure your current fork is set up correctly. If the spring is too soft or too stiff, make sure to get the appropriate one for your weight before passing judgment.

mtbr member
    Yeah, no judgment yet. I think I am just slightly biased from reading all the posts on here about how the Dart 3 is junk, at least for clydes. I cannot really say at this point whether I like it or not. I can't tell...lol...it has bottomed out a few times but otherwise seems alright. Not sure how it is setup, no doubt coming from the factory it is not set up for a 300 pound rider. But I guess once I start to see some issues with it I will keep it as it is. Perhaps I can get out on a demo bike sometime that has a nice fork and then I will see the difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    sick, i want your bike..., im suprised they put a dart on that stock...
    Yeah, even has it listed on the Specialized site as being stock. I do have the comp. version whereas the Expert has the RockShox Tora Race fork. Not sure how much better that is than the Dart 3. I was looking at a Haro before I bought the Rockhopper and it had a Reba and without riding it you could just see the quality difference. But for now I'll just run the Dart into the dirt and replace when needed.