Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

What is the appropriate rate of weight loss progress?

Alright, so, I've started biking again, 6 years after I stopped. My weight has been fluctuating, as I've started riding really hard only about 2 months ago. I started out fluctuating between 315 and 320.. and 2 months later I fluctuate between 304 and 309.

I'm not sure how to scale my progress as I dont know what all of you went through, but I'm #1 inspired by your stories, #2 am having fun, and #3 am pushing it pretty hard.

I know in my mind that expectations are a great cause of suffering.. but I'm really seeking advice here.

I have 2 big hurdles yet to cross with relation to weight loss that are giving me more trouble than buying that expensive bike and getting into the gym and working my ass off till it really hurts. #1. I have not eaten breakfast in nearly 10 years, tried with breakfast bars, they all dont taste like real food to me #2, until 5:30 pm in the day, I find it really hard to drink much, its a conditioned problem with lack of water access and free time at my former job, but I still struggle to drink anything more than 24 oz.. of anything.. as odd as it may sound. I drink while biking and at the gym, just at work, I feel no need unless I'm drinking to drown the food down.

But other than that, with biking 13 paved miles on an mtb in less than an hour 4x days of the week, and really pushing my legs.. and doing hard spinning classes that leave me hurting the other 3x days of the week... am I missing something else?
    Last edited by The Red; 06-05-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I dropped 30 pounds last spring/summer, 260 - 230. I gained 10 back when I quit smoking and have dropped it again, still not smoking.

I commute to work 5.25 miles each way, usually takes between 17 and 20 minutes.
    I also ride for any small errands within two miles of my house.

For food I usually eat: yogurt, peanuts, and fruit for breakfast, a lean cuisine or the like for lunch, I snack on fruit or nuts and try to eat somewhat sensibly at dinner. I think you need to change your eating habits to increase your metabolism.

I drink a **** ton of black coffee, tea, water and beer. No soda, vitamin water etc.

Good luck man

mtbr member
    End of last year I lost 30 pounds in about two months but that was because I had not really worked out for a couple years prior to that. It is kinda like lifting weights. When you first start you gain fast then it slows down. My weight loss was a combo of eating more, yeah, that's right, more. And cardio, 30 minutes 3 time per week. The eating thing, I was eating to little and my body was in starvation mode and much of the food I was eating was getting stored as fat because my body thought it was starving. I bumped my daily calories from around 1800 to 2600 per day. I had shoulder surgery in Sept. and stopped working out until recently so I gained most of the weight back as my diet also returned to my under eating ways but now that I am on the bike I am trying hard to revamp everything and hoping to drop 50-60 pounds this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I too am trying my hardest to lose weight while having fun riding. As the OP said this forum is very inspiring.

As of now I ride about 6 miles a day but I have only been riding seriously for about 2 weeks.

As of now I am around 270, hopefully I too can shed some pounds.

I eat breakfast (cereal), lunch( a sandwich) and dinner (usually chicken breast and some veggies). I think the eating part is the hardest for me as I love to eat lol. I have been trying to cut my portions down.

Beer..now thats another story...I have tried to drink only on the weekends but thats not always what happens.

Anyways..Good luck to you!

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    another day at the gym.. pushed it again.

Guess I need to figure out a way to take my body out of the starvation mode its been in for 10 years.

I need a quick breakfast that doesnt suck.. yogurt and fruit sounds alright.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not saying that you should ignore weight, but some people will get in much better shape without loosing a lot at first. Measure your chest and waist (in inches) and keep an eye on what's going on there too. You will probably loose some fat and build some muscle, which could result in less weight loss than you expect at first.

For example:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28967#poststop

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    I'm not saying that you should ignore weight, but some people will get in much better shape without loosing a lot at first. Measure your chest and waist (in inches) and keep an eye on what's going on there too. You will probably loose some fat and build some muscle, which could result in less weight loss than you expect at first.

For example:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...28967#poststop
    Whats the right way to do a chest measurement? around which section should I be rolling out that tape?

And you're right, I feel like I've picked up a lot of leg and thigh muscle, but I try not to use that as a crutch or excuse I guess..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would probably find one of the online body fat estimators and work from there.

This is just one I found with google. There are a ton out there (and a couple of different methods to estimate).

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...-2774-143.html

It's not the most accurate way to measure % body fat, but keeping track of the results over time would give you a better idea of your progress than weight alone.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    If you don't feel the need to eat b-fast or drink more why push it? If you have the energy to ride that much and don't feel dehydrated, why mess with it?
    Eat when you are hungry and drink when you are thirsty. Eat good healthful foods.

Are you doing any resistance training for your upper body?
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    If you drink when you feel thirsty you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration which obviously is not a good thing. Regardless of how you feel you should take in atleast 8 glasses of water a day, better yet is a gallon. I used to drink a gallon of water a day everyday and I felt much better. I was fully hydrated and my body had a lot less toxins. Just another one of those things I need to get back into doing.

Eating when your not hungry does suck but it goes back to the whole starvation thing. If you are taking in a lot less calories than your maintenance level then your body will store fat because it thinks it is starving. If you up your calories to just a few hundred less than your maintenance level then your body will tap into your fat stores faster. Also working out in the morning before you eat anything will tap into your fat for energy. If you eat before you workout your body will use that food for energy instead which is counterproductive when trying to loose weight.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    If you don't feel the need to eat b-fast or drink more why push it? If you have the energy to ride that much and don't feel dehydrated, why mess with it?
    Eat when you are hungry and drink when you are thirsty. Eat good healthful foods.

Are you doing any resistance training for your upper body?
    Not doing any resistance training for upper body beyond holding myself up while riding, what should I be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    If you drink when you feel thirsty you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration which obviously is not a good thing. Regardless of how you feel you should take in atleast 8 glasses of water a day, better yet is a gallon. I used to drink a gallon of water a day everyday and I felt much better. I was fully hydrated and my body had a lot less toxins. Just another one of those things I need to get back into doing.

Eating when your not hungry does suck but it goes back to the whole starvation thing. If you are taking in a lot less calories than your maintenance level then your body will store fat because it thinks it is starving. If you up your calories to just a few hundred less than your maintenance level then your body will tap into your fat stores faster. Also working out in the morning before you eat anything will tap into your fat for energy. If you eat before you workout your body will use that food for energy instead which is counterproductive when trying to loose weight.
    My question to you is... is it ok to bring up the caloric intake in increasing the size of already existing meals, or is it like some have said, spreading around small meals? .. does that make a big difference?

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    You know, I was just thinking at lunch here. I hate a lot of cereals because they're usually just Mix #3857 of cardboard, lollipops, and nuts/seeds. But I love salty stuff.

How bad is a $1 bag of Sun Chips for breakfast? lots of fiber, cheap, portable, and I can eat them endlessly.

Think thats a good idea?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you exercise before you eat, you should eat a protein rich meal. Your muscles need material to repair themselves with, otherwise they can actually consume themselves.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew7
    If you exercise before you eat, you should eat a protein rich meal. Your muscles need material to repair themselves with, otherwise they can actually consume themselves.
    When I remember, I drink my protein shake after a workout.. but yea, I do forget it sometimes. I use the Designer whey protein vanilla powder, with some berries, and milk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That varies alot with age, starting weight, etc, but definatley there are bigger losses early on that taper off. My non medical observations have been that 1-2 pounds a week makes for good, sustainable progress. The real key is to identify a lifestyle change that will keep it off, even in the event of not being able to exercise. People get their hormones so out of whack by manipulating the calories they ingest, but do little to actually change the types of food they eat (thus resulting in 'metobolic' anomolies).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    Not doing any resistance training for upper body beyond holding myself up while riding, what should I be doing?

My question to you is... is it ok to bring up the caloric intake in increasing the size of already existing meals, or is it like some have said, spreading around small meals? .. does that make a big difference?
    Not sure how big a difference it makes but from what I have read, been told, and experienced, spreading the meals out works best. One reason is it increases metabolism because your body is constantly working to digest food. It is also good to maintain a steady level of nutrients throughout the day so you avoid highs and lows in energy.

As far as Sun Chips for breakfast, there has to be something better you could eat. How about oatmeal. Or a PB&J sandwich on wheat and a glass of milk. Yogurt and fruit/granola. Even a protein shake with some fruit would be better.

Upper body resistance training could be as simple as doing pushups and pullups at home or you can get into a whole routine at the gym. Just make sure that whatever you do you work opposing muscles as well so there is not an imbalance which can lead to injury. I am new to biking but as with every other sport core strength is very important too. So don't forget to do your crunches...lol

mtbr member
    When I remember, I drink my protein shake after a workout.. but yea, I do forget it sometimes. I use the Designer whey protein vanilla powder, with some berries, and milk.

There is debate on post workout protein intake but here is my view. When I used to lift (I just started working out again) I would religiously take a protein shake very soon after working out. Within an hour is key but the sooner the better. Right after working out your muscles are like sponges and they will absorb the protein readily. However adding fat to this protein is not good as fat can hamper the absorption of the protein. So for the post workout protein shake it is highly recommended to mix the powder with water. Also adding a simple carb like maltodextrin will raise your insulin level and will increase the absorption of the protein. This shake should also be a double helping as well. This is what I learned and practiced during my powerlifting days and it worked for me. Your mileage may vary but I thought I would throw it out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkShip
    People get their hormones so out of whack by manipulating the calories they ingest, but do little to actually change the types of food they eat (thus resulting in 'metobolic' anomolies).
    Yeah, just the simple act of cleaning up your diet can go a long ways in weight loss. I know people that drank soda almost exclusively that stopped drinking it and lost alot of weight. I know when I was doing my weightloss program last year before I was injured and had surgery I stopped drinking anything with sugar and drank mostly water and Crystal Light and I stopped eating potatoes and white bread and I tried hard to avoid more than one carb per meal and increased the veggies and I lost about 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks or so. I was starting to feel better, got under 300 pounds, and was very motivated until I was hurt at work. I am now getting motivated again after battling some post-injury depression and I just joined a local gym yesterday and plan to ride the hell out of my bike as often as I can.

mtbr member
    Every person is different. Generally I have used a 1%/week rule successfully with people trying to loose body fat at keep it off. Basically if while working out and sticking to a diet a person with a high amount of body fat can loose 1% of their bodyweight per week safely and keep it off. This is especially true when changing workouts and beginning a new dietary plan.

Resistance training will do multiple things for you. First itís exercise and burns additional calories. Second, the muscle that you build will actually make your body burn additional calories while at rest. Third, it will be able to strengthen deficiencies in the body as well as balance your strength and muscular structure out resulting in less injuries and quicker recovery.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    Every person is different. Generally I have used a 1%/week rule successfully with people trying to loose body fat at keep it off. Basically if while working out and sticking to a diet a person with a high amount of body fat can loose 1% of their bodyweight per week safely and keep it off. This is especially true when changing workouts and beginning a new dietary plan.

Resistance training will do multiple things for you. First itís exercise and burns additional calories. Second, the muscle that you build will actually make your body burn additional calories while at rest. Third, it will be able to strengthen deficiencies in the body as well as balance your strength and muscular structure out resulting in less injuries and quicker recovery.
    Alright, I'll add resistance training, hope it helps with my hand numbness..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You know, I was just thinking at lunch here. I hate a lot of cereals because they're usually just Mix #3857 of cardboard, lollipops, and nuts/seeds. But I love salty stuff.

How bad is a $1 bag of Sun Chips for breakfast? lots of fiber, cheap, portable, and I can eat them endlessly.

Think thats a good idea?
    Bad idea. Breakfast is definately your most important meal. Eating a healthy, well balanced meal will fire up your metabolism. 400-600 calories is a good start to the day. Eggs, oatmeal, whole wheat breads, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies, etc. You can mix and match to suit your tastes. Protein, carbs, fat ... put those 3 on a pie chart and you'd want each to equal 1/3. That is a good way to approach balancing a meal.

I had a hard time eating breakfast when I started my weight loss transformation. Best advice I can give is plan out your breakfast and eat it all. Even if it takes an hour. After a while you'll start waking up hungry. Avoid fruit juices, boxed cereals, breakfast bars, etc.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    Bad idea. Breakfast is definately your most important meal. Eating a healthy, well balanced meal will fire up your metabolism. 400-600 calories is a good start to the day. Eggs, oatmeal, whole wheat breads, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits, veggies, etc. You can mix and match to suit your tastes. Protein, carbs, fat ... put those 3 on a pie chart and you'd want each to equal 1/3. That is a good way to approach balancing a meal.

I had a hard time eating breakfast when I started my weight loss transformation. Best advice I can give is plan out your breakfast and eat it all. Even if it takes an hour. After a while you'll start waking up hungry. Avoid fruit juices, boxed cereals, breakfast bars, etc.
    So.. is a $1 bag of Sun Chips a bad idea? ... a lot of fiber.

mtbr member
    Yeah, bad idea. Just not enough. You have to think of it like this. Your body has been starving for the last 6-8+ hours (however long you slept plus the time before bed when you last ate) so it is wanting/needing something to get going. There are so many things you can have for breakfast. It doesn't even have to be breakfast food. Heck, fix yourself a big ol' turkey sandwich if you want, but just don't skip the first meal of the day. The ONLY time I ever delayed breakfast was when I was working out early in the morning but I would still have it when I got back home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you ate a regular breakfast at 8am and a regular lunch at noon then the chips would be a good snack around 10am or sometime between lunch and dinner. I would not eat just chips for breakfast. If you absolutely have to then at least drink a protein shake or eat an egg. Those chips are full of carbs.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    If you ate a regular breakfast at 8am and a regular lunch at noon then the chips would be a good snack around 10am or sometime between lunch and dinner. I would not eat just chips for breakfast. If you absolutely have to then at least drink a protein shake or eat an egg. Those chips are full of carbs.
    I suppose Protein Shakes are doable for b-fast, not sure of their benefit in the morning though, without any workout. Instead of maltodextrose I use berries (fructose) and just Designer Whey powder. Might have to cut out the milk like the above poster mentioned, regarding fat and protein absorption.. didnt think about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast