Go Speed Racer

New question here. What about the SHORT riders? (ATTN: Mods)

Would be nice to have a forum for SHORT riders (Perhaps the forum could be called "Dwarfs/Short Riders" ). I was looking for a place to discuss my next sled. I am 5'5'' and was looking for a good place to put up a post about it, and saw this forum , and really don't think it fits in the "Women's" forum (especially based on the sticky at the top of that forum).

Basically my post is something like this...

I got back into mountain biking a couple of years ago after a LONG time away from the sport. When I got my "get back into it" bike, 29ers were all the rage, and I picked up a middle of the line Giant (2011 Talon 1 29er - Hardtail). I have upgraded it to the teeth, and it is now a really nice ride. However, I can't help but think that the LARGE wheels on the SMALL frame just is not a great fit for me. I think to some degree it is holding me back. It is a bit hard to get it rolling on the climbs (but once I get it going it is ok), and a little difficult to navigate switchbacks / etc. One the downs I feel like it could be a little more "snappy".

So, I have been researching my next ride. Pretty sure it is going to be a full susser, mainly because I am getting up there in age, and looking for more of a smooth ride to help reduce knee and back pain. I am willing to give up a little weight / speed for the added comfort. So, when looking at the bikes, I am leaning towards a 26er just because of my experience with my Talon, that and the fact that it would probably be even worse on a 29er full susser.

For some reason, I always like to be different (thus easily was talked into the 29er, when it was fairly new), and that always seems to bite me. I have noticed that 29er parts are not as abundant as 26er. Take for example chainlove.com, I see forks / wheelsets / tires / tubes / etc ALL THE TIME out there for 26 inch wheels, and very RARELY 29er... So I am paying a premium for 29er upgrades, and not sure it is really worth it.

So, I am thinking a 650b/27.5 might be the best of both worlds for me, but is it really worth it to be that cutting edge. With the assumption that I will probably have this ride for about 2-3 years, and it will probably take at least that long for 27.5ers to become fairly mainstream (wide availability of parts at REASONABLE prices), I am thinking I should stick with 26er and take advantage of lower prices / higher quality components (as places start to blow then out because everyone is jumping on the 650 and 29er bus).

Ok, so I think I talked myself into going with 26er. I should have mentioned that my budget is around $2500.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Demo a 29er FS first. I demo'd a 16" 29er (I'm 5'6") and didn't like it at all, but it all changed when I tried a 18" 29er. 16" felt little too unstable and twitchy for me. Being on a larger frame has its drawbacks (e.g., takes more effort to maneuver it), but I much prefer that than 26" or 16" 29er (haven't tried 650b, so I don't know if I would prefer that over 18" 29er though).
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Go Speed Racer
    I have demo'ed a 29er FS (Small) and it really did not feel that much different than my 29er HT. I have yet to demo a 26 FS. Just curious, what is it that you do not like about the 26'' FS?

mtbr member
    It's not that I don't like 26" FS, it's just the type of riding I like around here. I used to live in Vancouver with DH and DJ bikes, but now I live in the prairies, and 26" FS is just no fun around here compared to 29er rigid. If there were any sort of mountain here, I would definitely go back to 26" FS without thinking twice.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    It's not that I don't like 26" FS, it's just the type of riding I like around here. I used to live in Vancouver with DH and DJ bikes, but now I live in the prairies, and 26" FS is just no fun around here compared to 29er rigid. If there were any sort of mountain here, I would definitely go back to 26" FS without thinking twice.
    Thanks! Yeah, I am in AZ and lots of rocks / drops here. Pretty sure I am going to go 26er, and actually pretty excited about it. Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it!