mtbr member
    Jul 2008

New question here. What $200 Used Bikes Would Be Good For 330 Lb Rider_Load?

What used bikes could be gotten for under $200 used that would be suitable for someone who weighs 300# and could take an additional 40 lbs in back rack and panniers?

EDIT ADD:
    I'm looking for local city transportation and want to go as fast as possible over paved (albeit sometimes pothole ridden) roads.

I currently use an early 80s Peugeot UO8 road bike. The main problem with that bike is it isn't geared low enough for me to get up all hills.
    Last edited by TomBrooklyn; 05-20-2013 at 10:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Unless it's a screaming deal and likely a pretty old bike, I can't think of one under $200 that would last very long. Check craigslist and see if anything spikes your interest. Post them up here and we can comment on them. $200 just isn't much of a budget to work with when you're talking about a complete bike.

What are your intentions with the bike? I mean what kinda of riding? That could dictate what you can get and what you should stay away from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride around town. I currently got a road bike, an early 80s Peogeut UO8 I paid $10 for. Admittedly, that was on the low end, I suppose they usually go for upwards of $50-75 sometimes. I put money into it after I got it too. It needed new tires and tubes, and I put a rack on it and a new riser that fit me better.

My only major problem with the Peogeut bike is it isn't geared low enough for me to make it easily up all hills.

Are mountain bikes generally more expensive then road bikes?

mtbr member
    They are comparable. I have a $1200 road bike that I bought, and my SS mountain bike cost me about $1400. A friend of mine race road and has a $5000-6000 road bike, another friend of mine races mountain bikes and has a $6000 mountain bike. So as you can see, they can be around the same. I do think the most expensive bike I've ever seen in a shop was a road bike that cost something like $12k.

As far as your Peogeut, do you like it other than the gearing? It fits you well? I'd say you could re-gear it for within your budget. I can't say for sure though because I don't know anything about your bike. Being that old, new tech may not be compatible with your old bike. It may need more upgrades than just a few parts. Might be something to look into. At the least, you'll need a new cassette. You may also need a new rear derailleur, chain, possibly shifters, and worst case a new rear wheel/hub.

IMHO, used is going to be your best bet by far. $200 still isn't much to work with. I'd try to save if you can and double your budget.

And one more point, being hard to ride the hills may not be such a bad thing. Ride what you can, try your best on the ones you can't. Eventually you'll be able to. It just takes time. I've been there and done that...still doing it in fact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    As far as your Peogeut, do you like it other than the gearing? It fits you well? I'd say you could re-gear it for within your budget.
    I like it pretty much besides the gearing. I've priced it and to get a new crank will cost close to $200. or perhaps a bit more. It seems a bit exorbitant to pay as much as 3 or 4 whole (used) bikes (of that age) would cost just to get a crankset. Maybe what I ought to try shopping for is a used smaller crankset.

Being that old, new tech may not be compatible with your old bike.
    That does seem to be an issue. The age plus Peugeot manufactured a lot of their bike parts in unique, oddball sizes to begin with.

used is going to be your best bet by far.
    Yes, I'm definitely looking for used.

And one more point, being hard to ride the hills may not be such a bad thing. Ride what you can, try your best on the ones you can't. Eventually you'll be able to. It just takes time.
    I don't ride for recreation or exercise--I ride to get places that I need or want to go to. And I want to get to them as quickly and easily as possible, and preferably with a minimum of sweat that is going to make me wet and stinky when I arrive. And I'm middle aged, so it gets a little harder to peddle every year.