mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Went short stem wide bars, big change in PSI?

I switched to a short stem and wide bars on my stumpy. Really like it, much easier going down, easier turning, and even uphill feels better, but the PSI for my front and rear shocks changed like crazy. I went down 30 PSI in the front, and up 25 PSI in the rear. Is this normal? I'm 6'2", 245 and am scared my poor Triad shock is going to die at 250psi, but I really like the short/wide combo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not really understanding how changing your stem/bars causes you to change the pressure in your suspension. Shouldn't make a difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yea, I don't really get it either, but I had to go down to 70psi on the front to keep an inch worth of sag (120mm fork). Only thing I can think of is that it made me sit up a lot more...but I kept the stem angle the same, just shorter, and the new bars only have 1 degree more sweep in them.

mtbr member
    Your new position shifted your weight back. Not really that hard to understand, is it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    Your new position shifted your weight back. Not really that hard to understand, is it?
    Makes sense to me, short stem shifted your weight to the rear.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Now stand on your pedals and check sag...........it'll change again!!