mtbr member

Went out for the first trail ride & SNAP!!!

Well... This pretty much sucked... About 4 miles from the jeep & im climbing up my first real incline with some power & SNAP!!!! The stock chain tensioner on my SE Stout (horizontal dropouts) rips the threads straight out of the hanger... Axle shifts & no more pedaling for me...

The walk back to the Jeep blew... Anywhoo, it looked like a cheap P.O.S. when I put it on.

I need a Chaintug that can take a beating, because apparently I has too many POWAHHHH!!!!

I like the Surly Tug from Jenson for $30. Any other Uber Clydes that can help me with my selection?

mtbr member
    Sheesh, usually get a few peeps chiming in??? Oh well...

So I called about seven different LBS's & went to 3 because they told me over the phone "yeah we should have something for that". Even after specifically telling them i needed it for a 3/8", not a 14mm BMX bike... Apparently horizontal dropouts are unheard of... Then 2 of the smug bastards started giving me a attitude about buying a bike online... I suppose thats one way to ensure i'll never buy a bike (or anything else for that matter) from you...

Anyway, I went with the Surly Tugnutt & ordered a Giro Venti for my fat head while I was at it... Now I wait...

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Man I hate LBS' that do that. There is one here locally that looks down on me because I'm not on a 700c road bike, and another that no matter what I go in there for, they always want to tell me that I'm wasting money and I should just buy one of their brand new treks. Such a turnoff. Anyway, glad to hear you got it squared away.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I would've loved to purchase a $1000+ bike from someone local, but I just couldn't afford what they had to offer. The bike I ordered online was exactly what I wanted at the right price.

When I first walked in asking about the part, their first question was (this is the shop owner btw) "what kind of bike is it for?" To which my response was "this isn't a part thats bicycle specific, is it?" then he pries some more & I tell him a "SE Stout", Next question from him "you bought it online?" my reply 'YUP!" then he gets the elitist attitude about trying to fix something thats purchased online... Im like "listen, if you don't want my business thats perfectly fine. Just dont sit here & scold me for not buying a bike from you.". What a #$^%*

*Edit- I was just trying to buy the part, not get my bike serviced

Former Bike Wrench
    Exactly the wrong attitude that an LBS should have when it comes to online sales...they could have made a sale and if they treated you good you probably would have been a repeat customer. Instead they were arses, you ordered the part online, you'll never go back, and your probably telling everyone who will listen what a joke that shop is.

PS-the Surly is a good choice

mtbr member
    Yes, if they would've had a good attitude I would have purchased & had them order whatever brand it is they carry & forgot about the surly.

CEO Product Failure
    Diffuse those situations with the, "hey, I'm from out of town and just need a little help" comment. Or if they shop knows you, tell them it was a birthday gift from your (brother? dad? wife?, etc.).

As for your original post, I actually tore the horizontal dropout on the non drive side of my frame a few years back. It ended up getting warrantied (thank you Bianchi). For a rear wheel, I ride a CK with their own bolts which don't require tug nuts. BTW, I got the rear wheel for $90 (with ti 19t ring) on it at a (cough-cough) "garage sale". Yeah, you gotta know when the cool people are having "garage sales".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Diffuse those situations with the, "hey, I'm from out of town and just need a little help" comment. Or if they shop knows you, tell them it was a birthday gift from your (brother? dad? wife?, etc.).
    Why should he have to though? either the shop wants to make a sale, or they don't. It should not matter where he bought his bike from, if he is in there wanting to buy a part they should help out, or as in this case risk losing more sales to online vendors because of a sh**ty attitude.

CEO Product Failure

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by naiku
    Why should he have to though?
    Chances are this is his current home town.

I do agree with you in principle, he shouldn't have to, but he's either got mail order or *****ty LBS' to contend with.

He is trying to get is the part (product) he wants, the best one for the task, at the best price and as quick as possible. If those shops are the only options, one option is to deal with the people a little differently. Like I wrote, diffuse the situation. Get the LBS (jerks though they may be) to have a little empathy for you and work with you.

mtbr member
    As a consumer I don't expect anyone to kiss my @ss or give me special treatment. I just don't want a attitude because I didn't buy my bike from you...

It sucks because this dealer is literally 2 miles from my house. We bought my fiances bike from another dealer that is about 12 miles from me & the guys there are great & helpfull. Just sucks to drive that far everytime I need something...

I called ahead to both of these places & they both seemed like they could help me. However when I got there it was a different story at both places... But at least the dealer thats further away actually took the time to try & help & get to a solution. In the end it didn't work, but the effort was there...

What more can you ask for...

(Btw they both asked what kind of bike, & only one copped a attitude)

Freelance Whatever
    In today's internet based economy, businesses need to accept and adapt. I'm sure that if you could've found a steel SS 29er locally for what you paid, you would've gladly snapped it up. Conversly, if it was practical for the online retailer to offer maintenance/support, they would probably do that as well (passing that cost along). But in the long run, they rely on each other. Shops will make more money on service/accessories than they ever will on complete bikes. You can get that sweet deal on a bike online, but when you flat and don't have a tube or the chain snaps, the LBS is going to be the place that gets the benefit. Sure, you can get tubes for $1 online, but if you don't have one with you when you flat, where are you going to go? Overnighting a chain will bloat that sweet $9 deal to 50 bucks (I'm guessing). If the closer shop wants to have that attitude, I would get good with the other place, 'cuz the close one isn't going to be around much longer
    What I do for a living doesn't define me....

mtbr member
    This was the 2nd time I've been to the dealer close by my house. It will also be my last.

The first time we went looking for my fiances bike. The little hipsters behind the counter apparently didn't have the time of day for us because we weren't looking at $1,000+ bikes. So we wen't to the other dealer & dropped $500.00 on the spot. They both had the same exact bike.

Customer service goes a looooong way...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

In agreement

Couldn't agree with you more. It's your dollars, if they don't treat/service you right, move on and don't give them a second thought. I think if more people did this, businesses in general would start treating customers a bit nicer.

I bought my new bike frame online and I am in the process of building it up. I am picking and choosing my components as I decide and can afford them. I did take it in the LBS and talk to them to get some ideas and I will use them for some items, but not others due to them not carrying a particular brand or item. They had ZERO issues with me bringing in my frame and spending the next hour or so talking to them. I think I am just lucky to have a great shop near me.

Jon

mtbr member
    Yeah, your lucky for sure. Sounds like they have the right attitude!

Btw, after ordering the Surly Tugnutt from Jenson... I figured I'd give performancebike a call to see if they would be willing to do anything about a warranty replacement for me. (bought the bike from performancebike.com) Well, they're shipping me out a new one free of charge. So at least now i'll have a back up. Win Win as far as im concerned.

Big thumbs up to Performancebikes customer service!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So you got the surly chain tug? Are you running that with QR or bolt on? I am interested to know what othera think about chain tug that are not surly and less than 30$. Is one chain tug needed for QR or should 2 be better?

I see Origin8 here: and I think it will allow a QR it's cheaper and comes in a pair:

Amazon.com: Origin8 Chain Tension Adjuster, Silver: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sorry here is the DMR, not the origin 8, Amazon.com: DMR 10mm Chain Tugs, Pair: Sports & Outdoors

I think the dmr will work with QR?

mtbr member
    I have a great LBS, that will order parts for me and will do there best to come close to online prices. Because they do this I am willing to just have em throw the parts on for me to save time. This also keeps me coming back to their shop and spreading the good word.