mtbr member
    May 2009

Went on my first real ride.

Hi, Jay here. 6' 275.

I haven't ridden in years and I finally broke down and went for a ride. I have a 2001 Hardrock that is nearly new condition, including the awesome Judy TT that is stock. I rode at Westwood Park in IN. It is a 10 mi. loop around a lake with moderate to small elevation changes. I managed to make it around the loop but it nearly freaking killed me. Now I have some issues.

IT WAS GREAT(!) but I need better equipment. First of all my forks suck eggs(awesome was a sarcastic description) and my front end kept stabbing the dirt/roots etc and stopping my progress. Once, it threw me over the bars and into the ground. I am having issues keeping my weight back far enough. No injuries other than pride and minor scratches to the bike. May have tweaked the bars.

Secondly I am thinking about going FS or 29er. My friend had a Cdale Rush and I can see the advantages of FS, not to mention quality suspension. My Hardrock isn't bad but I have issues with spending $400 on a bike to make it work when I bought it for less than that. I have a KTM that I am going to sell and use part of that money to buy a bike. Now to figure out what to get. I think a good XC would work but wouldn't mind a more robust AM.

Also, my arms and shoulders are more sore than my @$$ or my legs, which are pretty sore. By the end of 6 miles they were starting to really get weak. I am not weak. I think there is an issue with my riding position. When I have my seat high enough to sit and crank, I feel like I am putting way too much weight forward and the twitchy handling and sag in the front exacerbate this. When I move my seat back to get my weight off the front, I lean too much and my hands get numb. Maybe going from 80mm under-sprung forks to 100mm or adjustable 80-130mm air forks would help if I decide to keep it? New bars with more rise? The other ones feel far too narrow anyway.

The brakes are okay but with my weight and momentum they feel like they are being over worked. If I do forks would do discs as well.

This gets me to the point that I think it would be better to just get a new bike. This time around I want one that fits and needs little if anything for upgrades. I haven't decided on a 26' FS or 29er either HT or FS. Money is an issue but I am willing to pay a little more if it is a better deal. I want new. If anyone has ridden there and knows the terrain, I would also like your insight on what you think.

My goal is to get in good enough shape and be skillful enough to make it around it in < 50 min's. That is a very competitive Clyde time per the DINO website. That may be shooting high but that is a long term goal. Right now, I made it around and will just try to get better at each section and work on my cardiovascular conditioning. Mostly the latter at first.

My @$$ is sore, my legs are numb, my arms and shoulders ache, my palm has a big @$$ blood blister from my over the bar antics AND I AM LOVING IT!

Jay

Slave to the grind
    congrats dude. welcome to the fold! methinks your bike maybe a wee bit small for you.
    nomrally there's a size on the tube where your seatpost attaches.
    considering your a 6' that number should be an 18 or above.

I reco you head to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and ask what they have to say about whats right for you within your budget. - you can then reconfirm their recomendations on the board.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks cherrybomber.

The bike is a 19" but apparently I need something different. I have to figure out the ergonomics.

The bars are also too narrow and that may be part of the problems with the arm pump and it is the out side of my palms that I feel it the most.

I had another thread inquiring about forks as I think they are a major part of the problem but it seems to make sense to buy a new bike. So I am going to sell my KTM RXC 620 and do bikes without motors for awhile.

I live in east central Indiana and haven't had much luck with bike shops. Several I have been to seem to be pretty elitist about this stuff. I have another one I want to try. They have a '08 Heckler 19". I may just go in and see if they will deal and see what fits, regardless of if I buy it. It is more than I am planning on spending but after riding I am thinking about FS and 29ers more than before. I saw a Caliber 29er for a little less. Maybe they will deal. I am not sold on any particular bike or brand but it would be nice to not have to travel more than 20 min to get parts, service, etc.

I am looking for what seems to be a pretty common desire for a mixture of XC efficiency mildly compromised for some AM ability/durability. I really would like to have a good warranty, too. I saw a GF HiFi for $1400. Obviously I need to go somewhere to get the right fit first though.

I didn't want to spend more than a grand but if I am smitten I might. HT might be an option but I think the 29er would be what I would want there. There are some roots where I ride and I will ride on the road sometimes. I will go with an air fork. I see a lot of 29ers for a grand that still have Darts on them.

If anything, posting and reading here is helping me figure out what I want. Add the insight of the other members and resources and it really is a great asset.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm 6"5" 235 and rode a Schwinn moab (HT) for ten years, then i tried a friends 29'er and it became obvious what direction i needed to go. Most of the ailments you described will fade with more seat time, but the numbing not so much- that's an ulnar/ fittment issue.

When you get your new bike it would be money well spent ot get your bio mechanics dialed -you will be able to ride much longer and more efficiently. Go to the Clydes forum on here you can get great feedback from riders relative to what set ups work best - there are specific wheels/ forks that are rated for people our size(and up)

I ride an XL RIP 9 (FS) and love the way it soaks up stuff that my 26" would pitch me over the falls on.. Too funny i just sold my KTM 625 SXC motard and bought an AIR 9 from another member here for climbing and XC

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2
    I'm 6"5" 235 and rode a Schwinn moab (HT) for ten years, then i tried a friends 29'er and it became obvious what direction i needed to go. Most of the ailments you described will fade with more seat time, but the numbing not so much- that's an ulnar/ fittment issue.

When you get your new bike it would be money well spent ot get your bio mechanics dialed -you will be able to ride much longer and more efficiently. Go to the Clydes forum on here you can get great feedback from riders relative to what set ups work best - there are specific wheels/ forks that are rated for people our size(and up)

I ride an XL RIP 9 (FS) and love the way it soaks up stuff that my 26" would pitch me over the falls on.. Too funny i just sold my KTM 625 SXC motard and bought an AIR 9 from another member here for climbing and XC
    I wanted to do a motard conversion as we have a really good track( http://www.newcastleraceway.com/gallerytrack.shtml ) that does motard days here but the bike isn't really fit for it. Hard to find big caliper kits, etc for a '96 RXC. Cool though.

I posted my ride experience here because I thought the clyde specific knowledge would help. This forum has a lot of info in it. I thought some on here would have experienced some of the same. I am taking my time and not trying to sell my KTM until after I know what I need. That way I don't have a choice but to wait.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ClappR
    I wanted to do a motard conversion as we have a really good track( http://www.newcastleraceway.com/gallerytrack.shtml ) that does motard days here but the bike isn't really fit for it. Hard to find big caliper kits, etc for a '96 RXC. Cool though.

I posted my ride experience here because I thought the clyde specific knowledge would help. This forum has a lot of info in it. I thought some on here would have experienced some of the same. I am taking my time and not trying to sell my KTM until after I know what I need. That way I don't have a choice but to wait.
    Yeah that 96 is a bit hard to source for SM parts, still a cool bike though. Looks like a nice track, i have friend who goes to Putnam Park. I thought you were posting in the main 29'er forum ,my bad your in the right place this section has been a great resource for me.