mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Well I'm an owner!

I jumped back in today. I'm a shrinking Clydesdale. 24 months ago I was 478 Lbs. I started down the road to Gastric Bypass but before they'd let me get the surgery I had to be under399 lbs. So I changed my life. In January of 2011 I was 390 lbs and I had my surgery on February 28th of this year. As of this morning I am 282 lbs and as of noon today the proud owner of a new 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29er. Of course it's 106 Degrees out so riding this afternoon might be an issue but of course I had to take it around the block. I also picked up a pair of 5-10 riding shoes and a 661 brain bucket all over at Jenson USA in Corona Ca.

So as soon as the heat drops off it'll be time for me to hit the trails and shed some more and firm up what remains.

New Chapter

Rides like a kid

Congrats!

Congrats on the bike and your new life! How tall are you? You lost almost 200 pounds in 2 years. Good job! The only way I could do that would be to get a divorce (badump cha!)

I have lost 15 pounds since I got back into riding bikes.

mtbr member
    Congrats!

I Strava Hamburgers
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    congrats! I'm on the same road! I hope i can be as successful as you have been!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Hell Yeah

Just took my new rig out today too!! Congrats man, good to be on the road with ya!

mtbr member
    If you were able to lose weight, why did you continue with the surgery? I think it is awesome you lost weight, but I question why you choose to alter your body when you proved you could lose weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    If you were able to lose weight, why did you continue with the surgery? I think it is awesome you lost weight, but I question why you choose to alter your body when you proved you could lose weight.
    Why does it matter?

Oh Yeah Baby
    Thats fantastic !!!

I started where you are at now. Somewhere around 280-285lbs. I'm rockin' 225lbs now. And a new bike makes it soooooo much sweeter.

Use some of that heat to your advantage if possible.

Congrats on your journey.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbes View Post
    Why does it matter?
    I'm pretty sure he was just wondering, as most people get gastric bypass due to an inability to lose the weight on their own.

Either way, congrats!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    To answer the guy who was asking why go through with the surgery after losing quite a bit on my own. Well, look how many people you know that have lost a bunch of weight on their own and then gained it all back. The surgery makes it difficult, not impossible, to gain the weight back and it forces you to change your lifestyle or die. I know that for the rest of my life I'll have to take vitamins and supplements and keep my protein intake up.

I have to give a hat tip to Jenson USA in Corona. I blew both my tires on my bikes maiden voyage yesterday and when I went in to get them repaired today they hooked me up with slime tubes and liners to help keep it from happening again. The price was right and they didn't charge me for the service. They have a good group of people over there. Very cool people. Thanks a bunch!
    New ride by apexpredator65, on Flickr

mtbr member
    I think its cool you lost weight, I was just curious for your motives. If that what it takes for you to lose weight, more power to you.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I think its cool you lost weight, I was just curious for your motives. If that what it takes for you to lose weight, more power to you.

I'm not speaking for anyone, but I'm pretty sure there comes a moment in your life where something clicks, and you just say "enough is enough" and you change everything you do to get healthy again. Its usually either something health related that scares you, or a comment someone makes that kicks the small stone out from under the boulder, but once it starts moving, it doesn't stop for a long while.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexpredator65 View Post
    To answer the guy who was asking why go through with the surgery after losing quite a bit on my own. Well, look how many people you know that have lost a bunch of weight on their own and then gained it all back. The surgery makes it difficult, not impossible, to gain the weight back and it forces you to change your lifestyle or die. I know that for the rest of my life I'll have to take vitamins and supplements and keep my protein intake up.

I have to give a hat tip to Jenson USA in Corona. I blew both my tires on my bikes maiden voyage yesterday and when I went in to get them repaired today they hooked me up with slime tubes and liners to help keep it from happening again. The price was right and they didn't charge me for the service. They have a good group of people over there. Very cool people. Thanks a bunch
    Very nice bro, huge weight loss. You're on the downhill slope now!

A bit of advice, just pack a couple extra tubes and a patch kit. Big guys like us blow up tubes on rocky stuff. Awesome job