Robtre

Weight Loss / Fitness gains for different body types

Age 37 6'4" Current weight 215. waist is 36, BMI is 24-25. My body fat % is around 22% I think, and I carry fat around my waist, but for the most part I am kinda lean.

When I was a teen I played basketball for my HS team and played a lot. My avg body weight was 170.

When I was in my early 20's, I worked out with weights a bunch and lost most of my endurance. My avg body weight was 225.

Age 26 I had a bad back injury and jumped up to 250lbs quick, lost muscle, and really lost sight of endurance.

At 27 I decided I needed to get in shape and I found mountain biking. Slowly as I re-gained endurance I lost body fat and I plateaued at 225lbs.

Age 35 I began making changes to my diet and ramping up my riding and now down to 210-215.

I want to go further but I don't know how. Id like to get into the 190-195 range, as I think it would benefit my back issues, as well a my riding. I think with my current build I would have to loose 10lbs of fat, and perhaps some muscle mass. I work out with weights now but low weight high reps.

I feel like most weight loss programs I have tried are not effective for me. Its the stubborn belly fat that wont go away. I know that as I age my muscle/fat % changes. I also know that there have been others in my same situation that have found success.

Can anyone suggest things I can do differently?
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I'm exactly the same, just bigger. I'm in the 250's and most of my fat is in my belly. I have lean arms and legs and even back and chest for the most part. I've slipped on my eating lately and I need to get back on track. I was/am eating a Paleo/primal style diet and with cycling, I lost 80 pounds last year. I'd love to loose about 40-50 more.

Robtre
    Hmmm Paleo diet huh? How long did you do it for? Paleo is basically meat/fish and veggies right? Like Paleolithic Era diet? I just want to loose 20 and keep it off.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am a similar size but a bit taller. To lose weight first eat well and get yourself fit. Don't try reducing your food intake to begin with unless it really is excessive. Then gradually reduce your food intake and try healthier options, eating too little just means you will over eat later on. Mix up your riding and do shorter harder rides as well as longer endurance rides.

It is difficult to fit this in but if you keep going out on a regular basis you will get there. There are no easy ways , just do exercise you enjoy and eat good food

mtbr member
    I've been doing it since last January. I've kept it up for the most part but I've never been more than probably 90% strict. I'm more like 70% now but I'm ramping it back up.

And yeah, that's pretty much the idea. Meat/fish/eggs, veggies, some fruit, seeds and nut. No dairy, grains, or sugar (refined). I still eat dairy. Mostly plain yogurt and a little cheese here and there. Sugar...I avoid it as much as I can. I don't eat breads, pasta, stuff like that. Beans are not Paleo but I still eat them on occasion.

The thing I like about Paleo, or my version, is I don't feel like I am too restricted and if there's a time I want to eat something like pizza, or pasta, or dessert...I can and it won't kill my diet. I also feel like eating too strict is what leads most people to fail.

The important thing is to eat clean, whole foods and develop a nutrition lifestyle that you can live with because diets fail. IMO, you can't diet, lose some weight, and go back to the way you used to eat. You have to make permanent changes.

mtbr member
    I started in January at 210#, 5'11". I've dropped 25# in the past 4.5 months by tracking my calories & macros thru Myfitnesspal.com and my workouts in various other apps. I also bought a Fitbit one to track my activity during work/non-workout times. It seems a little overwhelming at first, but the bottom line is, if you want to lose weight you have to eat at a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound. There are many websites that you can put your age, height, weight and activity level and it will give your base caloric intake to maintain your weight. If you back off 500 calories per day, you should be able to lose about a pound a week. Myfitnesspal not only tracks your calories, but also your macronutrients; carbs, fat & protein, which you can also goal. Once I got started it was actually pretty easy, and I didn't have to change what I like to eat for the most part. And those weekends when I know I'm going to have a few extra beers, I just adjust what happens in the early part of the day. Good Luck!
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

Robtre
    [QUOTE=toyman;11244224]I started in January at 210#, 5'11". I've dropped 25# in the past 4.5 months by tracking my calories & macros thru Myfitnesspal.com

I have used my Fitness Pal App on Iphone and I have had success.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stop eating crap, get more active. It isn't much more complicated than that. I've cut out 90% of the crap (still live at weekends), less bad carbs, more veg and salad, more active. I've dropped 12 lbs in 6 weeks and it doesn't feel like I've really tried hard. It takes a decision to eat salads all week and not fall to temptation and convenience.

mtbr member
    Substituting a salad for a lunch sandwich three or four times a week. Doing two pushbacks a day & drinking unsweetened tea. Regular exercise & bike riding. This has been my formula. Lost almost twenty pounds since Christmas. Actually right after Christmas.
    The only way I know to drop the love handles are oblique exercise. They are tough & hurt like the sickens but they work.
    Another 25 to go & I should be where I want to be. Bought some 36" EB shorts as a goal.
    Good luck to the rest of you Clydes.

Robtre
    I have been going to the gym for weight training at my lunch time. I am so hungry afterward I have to eat protein. I eat a deli sandwich 3-4 weekdays, no mayo or dressing heavy veggies and grilled chicken breast. I have been trying to ride 3x during the week after work but its hard balancing my family life. Being single and fit was so much easier.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm 6' 3" and in 2006, I was up to 245-ish - a long was from HS graduation in 1983 when I was a mere 150! Yeah, I was a string bean back then!

Got down to 228-ish and hovered there from 2007-ish until 2012. Since then, I'm down to 190 and looking to get down to 180. I went to a gym for a bit in 2012-13 but gave it up due to costs. So, I started walking a lot more and paying VERY close attention to sodium and sugar intake. I went from 210-ish to 190 just by walking/biking/hiking, counting calories (under 1800/day) and ensuring sodium intake was under 1600 mg/day.

I'm not a big believer in "diets" other than eating recommended PORTION sizes and monitoring sodium. Following those two simple things - portion and sodium - will go a long way to losing weight, along with walking every day (>7k steps/day).

mtbr member
    Sodium doesn't make you fat though. Water retention yes, fat no. It's still a good idea to keep intake on the low side. We need it but too much certainly isn't good for you, especially if you have any sort of cardiac issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Sodium doesn't make you fat though. Water retention yes, fat no.
    I think each of our own body structure/physiology plays a factor, obviously. For me, it was fat unless I shed 60+ pounds in water retention. In the end, what worked for me may not work for someone else.

It's still a good idea to keep intake on the low side. We need it but too much certainly isn't good for you, especially if you have any sort of cardiac issues.
    I'm in that category - borderline hypertensive.

mtbr member
    Sodium has no calories. So cutting it or increasing it cannot have a fat changing affect. Fat is gained or lost due to calories. You lost fat because you were walking and watching your portions which was causing you to be in a calorie deficit by eating less and burning more calories. The reduction in sodium might have caused you to lose a few pounds of water weight, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's less of the crap food that contains or is covered in the salt that will bring the wins!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Sodium has no calories. So cutting it or increasing it cannot have a fat changing affect. Fat is gained or lost due to calories. You lost fat because you were walking and watching your portions which was causing you to be in a calorie deficit by eating less and burning more calories. The reduction in sodium might have caused you to lose a few pounds of water weight, but that's about it.
    Yeah, you're right - I'm very familiar with how one loses fat. Last night, I was having trouble with cognitive thinking (and not due to alcohol or anything illicit). Seems to be a recurring problem lately for me.

Thanks for the assist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    It's less of the crap food that contains or is covered in the salt that will bring the wins!
    +1, it's not the salt, it's the salty, fatty, processed foods that the salt is in. Good, clean foods are low in sodium. It may not be a direct path, but it's a good path to watch your sodium intake. If you are just looking to lose weight for a period of time, dieting is definitely the way to go, but it's much more than just eating salads to cut calories. You need to be AWARE of your calorie intake, your sodium, and your macros (protein, carbs, & fats) and You need a balance of them all and to make it stick, it's more of a lifestyle change than a diet. You also need to know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight, so you can figure out how many you need to goal to lose weight. (Google TDEE and plug in your age, height & weight and it will give you your numbers)
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

mtbr member
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I found that jogging/running seemed to be the best way to reduce belly size. I've tried various "diets" to drop body fat, but like the OP, the big issue still always seemed to be the belly area. Running (~9:00-10:00/mi pace) for 30 min 3-4 times a week made a huge difference. Other cardio activities didn't seem to have the same effect for some reason.

YMMV, we're all built slightly different.

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I found that jogging/running seemed to be the best way to reduce belly size. I've tried various "diets" to drop body fat, but like the OP, the big issue still always seemed to be the belly area. Running (~9:00-10:00/mi pace) for 30 min 3-4 times a week made a huge difference. Other cardio activities didn't seem to have the same effect for some reason.

YMMV, we're all built slightly different.
    I agree running helps reduce the midsection because it engages the core muscles for stabilization. I do think however you cannot chose where on your body you loose fat for example doing crunches to reduce belly fat. You body stores fat where it wants for different reasons in different places, and stores belly fat partially due to Cortisol production in the body.
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre
    Well

I quit my 20 year relationship with alcohol but that's a story for a different day.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Well

I quit my 20 year relationship with alcohol but that's a story for a different day.
    Congratulations!! I quit about two months. I have lost weight and feel much better.
    2013 TREK Fuel EX 8 26er
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Congratulations. Can be tough for s while but your better off on the long run.
    I quit a few years ago. Not because of anything specific, just don't think it was something I needed to be doing anymore with two daughters approaching the teen years.