mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Weight loss and endurance goals to prepare for next season

Well here goes nothing Im planning to race my first race and full season of XC next year. We have a pretty cool 10 race series and all races are within a few hours drive if not 15 minutes or so from the house. Im not new to racing in general but it'll be the first time that I provide the power don't know how I talked myself into that but anyway. So my goal is to get in shape by April 1st, the series kicks off in the first week or two of April. I'm going to use many different methods of cardio and cross training as well as riding to lose weight and gain endurance, my two biggest focus areas. I can currently keep up with other cat 3 riders but am dead by 10 miles or about an hour. I can ride 15 or more if I pace myself but I lose a mph or two as the ride goes on. The races average around 1 hour for the cat 3 group so I imagine that means I need to be able to go all out for 1.5 hours in training. Whats the best way to ramp up to this level? Do I need to set it even higher?

Secondly, and probably more important is weight loss. I am a clyde by no fault of my own, my parents made me this way Even at the best fighting weight I will ever attain I could still qualify for the clyde class but would like to race my way up the cat's instead. I am 6'6" and 258lbs. About average size for my height, 38 waist 46 chest. I would like to lose 30+ lbs by April 1st and be in the 220's. I havent weighed that since high school lol. I started riding at the end of October at 266 and am down to 258 without really trying, just riding so hopefully with a little focus on weight loss it will happen faster.

Im going to log my workouts and current weight here when I get a chance just for a little reality check. It seems to be easier if you hold yourself accountable so thats what Im going to do. My personal trainer....free from work!!! Yey!!! Says that I should focus on cardio 5 days a week and lifting 3 or less so thats what Im going to do. She wants me to ramp up to 900 to 1000 calories per day burned 3 days a week and 500-700 2 days a week. This seems a little outrageous but who knows, she is the personal trainer. So to start off with:

Today I weighed 258lbs
    I ran on the Art Motion Trainer at the gym for 35 min and burned 450 calories
    I lifted all upper body for 20 min...who knows the calories there
    Ran with my dog 1 mile outside, no calorie count on that either
    My guess would be somewhere around 725 calories

Cthulhu fhtagn
    what did your trainer say you should be eating in calories a day?
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    between 2200 and 2500, I was eating about 3000-3500. And that was a reduction lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you have a personal trainer, follow their advice not what you get over the internet.

I would suggest that you need to concentrate more on riding and less on anything else. Try to get your "base" up to where you can stay aerobic most of your race. For a Cat 3 one hour race, most racers will be anaerobic the whole race. That's OK for a 1 hour race but not so good for longer races.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    Quote Originally Posted by moose07
    between 2200 and 2500, I was eating about 3000-3500. And that was a reduction lol.
    Yeah i know what you mean, i dropped 50 lbs in 3 months just dropping my calorie intake to 2000 calories from like 4500 lol
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well this evening I weighed myself at the sale time I did last night and its 256.8lbs.

In the gym I did 40 min on the art motion trainer and 460 calories. I think im around 2000 calories so I'm doing well

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2
    If you have a personal trainer, follow their advice not what you get over the internet.

I would suggest that you need to concentrate more on riding and less on anything else.
    This. To add to it: road riding is a great way to increase your endurance and to burn fat. Not nearly as fun as trail riding, but scheduling a couple of regular road rides into your week will help you reach your goals.

Riding on the trainer is basically doing the same thing, but in my experience actually getting out on a two wheeled bike is more effective.

Sounds like you're off to a solid start - Good luck!
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland
    This. To add to it: road riding is a great way to increase your endurance and to burn fat. Not nearly as fun as trail riding, but scheduling a couple of regular road rides into your week will help you reach your goals.
    Especially if you ride with folks faster than you.
    mike

pedal or go home
    great start. keep up the good work and keep us posted. Im in my on process of losing weight and reading these threads keep me motaviated . I ve been thinking of starting y own up
    "Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?"
    - Napoleon Dynamite

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by CxAgent2
    I would suggest that you need to concentrate more on riding and less on anything else.
    Ironically, my trainer said the same tonight: Skip the running and ride instead unless your planning on running races.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    257.4 missed wednesday to spend evening with the wife and ran 2 miles with my dog the last couple nights. Should be hitting the trails tomorrow

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    And/Or go climbing. Nothing like an extended 15% grade to kick your but into shape, not to mention improve anaerobic conditioning and REALLY make you WANT to drop weight!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Not necessarily. Concentrate on ride 1.5 to 2 hour rides at 70% of your max HR until around the end of Jan.-mid-Feb. Then start the anaerobic intervals and build throughout your season. Keeping up with other people for your training is foolishness. They have their goals and you have yours--concentrate on yours.
    Barry

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Acero853
    Not necessarily. Concentrate on ride 1.5 to 2 hour rides at 70% of your max HR until around the end of Jan.-mid-Feb. Then start the anaerobic intervals and build throughout your season. Keeping up with other people for your training is foolishness. They have their goals and you have yours--concentrate on yours.
    Barry
    There is a point where you stretch to ridiculousness. I didn't think I needed to specify, but perhaps I do. However, you will always make gains faster being a slower rider in a fast group, than the fast rider in a slow group.
    mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Dont weigh yourself every day just once a week,at the same time,say on a Sunday morning! I can gain a 4 ponds in a gym session just from water intake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strong
    Dont weigh yourself every day just once a week,at the same time,say on a Sunday morning! I can gain a 4 ponds in a gym session just from water intake.

I really think it depends on your personality type whether you weigh yourself every day or once a week.

I weigh myself every day first thing in the morning. That is the most consistent time to weigh yourself. By doing this over an extended period of time I've learned about the many factors that affect my weight. Salt, Alcohol, Intense workouts/rides etc... If my workouts were intense prior to weighing in one week and not the next it would be hard for me to see the fact that they are actually helping (assuming I weighed in only once a week) because I'd show an increase in weight for that week. It'd be a bummer and I wouldn't understand why. It could be demotivating. I am almost never surprised when I step on the scale.

But again, it's all personal preference...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I agree for now, work on base miles. April is only 4 months away and I know you want to be fit, but you don't want to overtrain or burn out. The base miles will help the weight come down. Starting in February or March, look at throwing in some intervals - hill climbs, max efforts - just anything to push your heart rate anaerobic.

How long is the race season? Also think about focusing on the terrain you're riding. Here in NC, the local XC series varies between hilly and flat to rocky and smooth. Given your height, you probably KILL everyone on the flats but lose a bit on the climbs. Work on your weaknesses if you have any...

Members who have read this thread: 0