mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Weight Loss Competition at work

As a way to motivate ourselves at work, we all threw in a pretty good chunk of money into a pool for a 10week weight loss competition. He who loses the most % of lbs/ to total weight wins.

We all weighed in yesterday. I am a shade under 6'1 and 194lbs, I want to get down to 180. May not achieve that in 10 weeks, but I am going to try! Any tips? Besides biking more, what about food? I know I need to cut back on beer, that is my biggest enemy by far. What other "obvious" diet choices should I try to adhere to? Oh btw, some of the other guys in the pool are enormous, hence it may be easier for them to shed the lbs!

Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    check out bodyforlife.com you can get some real good results in short order if you follow it closely
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Keep riding, but cut your portions down. In fact, try to spread your meals between six, smaller ones/day. Drink lots of water. For your height- eat only 2500 calories/day...and you will surely lose weight. Learn how to increase your metabolism, and become a fat-burning furnace...that's how I lost over 60 pounds, last year.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Don't just cut back on the beer, cut it out entirely if you can. Alcohol messes with your metabolism, and if you can hold off on the booze for 2 and a half months, you'll do better. You'll do even better if you only reintroduce it very gradually once you start back up again.

The Dude abides

Portion sizes and calorie counting...

.is the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. Buy a cheap scale to weigh everything you eat and also find a method for tracking all your calories. I've used fitday.com and like it alot, its not perfect, but works really well. Back in Oct, I started out at 256lbs (I'm 6ft 3) and I am now down to 229. I cannot say enough about the effectiveness of counting calories and measuring portions. I have always eaten really healthy meals, but had a tough time losing weight, and the reason was my portion sizes. If you don't realize how much you're taking in, you can't know how much you need to cut back to lose weight. Through measuring everything and having a daily total calorie goal, you learn the most important rule for keeping the weight off; moderation. Sure, it sucks for about the first week when you're used to eating more food, but after that it is really easy. I feel great, and for the first time in my life, I think that I'll keep the weight off. ( I think I may reward myself with a Santa Cruz Heckler )
    "Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain."

Quote Originally Posted by coloradocoullion
    .is the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off. Buy a cheap scale to weigh everything you eat and also find a method for tracking all your calories. I've used fitday.com and like it alot, its not perfect, but works really well. Back in Oct, I started out at 256lbs (I'm 6ft 3) and I am now down to 229. I cannot say enough about the effectiveness of counting calories and measuring portions. I have always eaten really healthy meals, but had a tough time losing weight, and the reason was my portion sizes. If you don't realize how much you're taking in, you can't know how much you need to cut back to lose weight. Through measuring everything and having a daily total calorie goal, you learn the most important rule for keeping the weight off; moderation. Sure, it sucks for about the first week when you're used to eating more food, but after that it is really easy. I feel great, and for the first time in my life, I think that I'll keep the weight off. ( I think I may reward myself with a Santa Cruz Heckler )
    +1 on counting calories. If you do this honestly- there is no way you can cheat yourself, and not lose weight. Knowing where you stand each day with calories...is exactly like having a daily calorie "budget." Except spending- you are trying to budget the influx of calories. Do this faithfully, and the pounds will come off. Weight loss is a simple concept, but extremely difficult to execute. It is all about energy-in, versus energy-out.

Establishing a daily caloric "deficit" is the key to losing. Since one pound of body fat is 3,500 calories- having a daily shortage of calories(about 500) is as easy as halving a meal, removing empty-caloried junk food, and replacing dessert with a fruit snack. I am not a clyde- but the weight loss title caught my eye. Two years ago, I weighed a porkly 230 pounds. At only 5 feet seven- this presented a TON[sic] of problems. Then, I was consuming about 5000 calories a day, of ice cream, pizza, and at LEAST six cans of sugared soda/day. One day I consulted a professional bodybuilder about my problem and he basically told me I was going to reach 300 pounds in five years...or be dead before age 50(I was 42 then). This wake up call sent me straight to the LBS. My first bike was a very heavy, 33-pound 2006 Trek 4900 disc hardtail. I rode it 75 miles/week for six months- and 40 lbs flew off me, combined with consuming below 2000 calories/day.

I told the bodybuilder/fitness pro I always wanted six-pack abs, but hated doing crunches. He took me under his wing, and put me through the wringer for one entire year. My waist went from size 38...to size 31(I am now 160lbs). And yes- I finally have those "washboard abs" for the very first time in my adult life. I like the results so much(so do the women!)...that staying lean has become my new lifestyle. I am so glad my bike will ALWAYS be a part of this equation!

mtbr member
    Great advice there!!! I would also add some weight training in there to help help minimalize muscle loss which happens when losing weight. It will also help build up your metabolism and build more muscle to help burn off fat. I lost 100lbs between April 07 and July 08 and that is what i did. Count calories worked out 6 days a week from Jan 08 - July 08 and when I started that routine I was 230. April 07 I was 265 at 5ft 10.5 inches tall and I hit my goal weight in July 08 of 165.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks guys for the tips

wow, some pretty inspirational stories out there as well! im impressed

Dirt Deviant
    I was born a clyde. I was always THE biggest, tallest kid throughout school.
    In 7th grade I was 6'0" and about 210lbs.
    As a freshman in HS I was about 6'2" and 250lbs. Made a great nose tackle.
    I was always very atheletic for my size, and started mt.biking in the late 80's.
    I've always been really strong and fairly healthy, but have always had too much excess weight.
    Back in the begining of december I decided I needed a lifestyle change.
    I was eating decent healthy-ish meals but my portions were way too big.
    I was drinking 4-8 sodas a day, candy, ice cream too often and too many heavy beers.
    So I completely dropped soda and switched to crystal light. 5 calories a serving. Tastes good if you have a sweet tooth like me.
    Stopped the candy, ice cream and sugar all together. I switched to Truvia in my coffee. It's an organic sweetener with virtually 0 calories.
    I now only eat between 2000-2500 calories a day, depending on what my activity level is going to be.
    I'm eating better types of foods. More organic stuff. I pack a lunch instead of eating out.
    No more fast food.
    It's a tough change, but I'm sticking with it.
    I am not concentrating on how much weight I am losing, more how I feel and how my clothes are fitting me.
    After 2 weeks went by I hopped on the scale and had lost 12lbs. That was only after 2 weeks. But like I said, I'm not getting hung up on my weight loss, so I haven't weighed myself in almost 2 months.
    But, I have had to add 6 new holes in my belt, and have gone down at least 1 if not 2 shirt sizes. I always wear my pants baggy-ish, but now my old tight pants are fitting me baggy.
    I try to ride between 50-100 miles a week. Just did 23 today.
    Oh yea, my manager at work is giving me a $100 gift card if I meet my weight loss goal by june. I figured I could lose 30lbs between dec-june. I'm sure I'm more than half way there. Most importantly, I feel so much better and filled with energy. I would like to get down to 230lbs by next year. I should be able to do it, if I stick with it. I plan to.
    Oh yea, I treat myself to a few light beers a week. 100 calories each isn't too bad. Just do it in moderation.
    You can't look at it as a diet, it is a lifestyle change.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Great Job Savage You hit the nail on the head that most people don't get ... It is a lifestyle change and not a diet Are you doing any weight training????

Dirt Deviant
    Thanx man!
    Not doing any weight training yet, but I plan to in the near future. I have a couple buddies that frequent different gyms, and each of them is allowed to bring a friend as often as they wish. So I'm just trying to figure out a good schedule that will work for them.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Yeah weights are great cause not only will it build muscle but help minimize muscle loss which happens in weight loss. Plus they burn all day long unlike a good cardio which stops about half hr after your session. Try and find a good work out routine with weights, and try to do it 3 days a week. Give yourself an off day of weights it will give your body time to heal

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So here is an update on the competition. I am in the lead so far! Some guys have actually gained weight One thing that is dissapointing in this is that I have hardly biked at all the past 3 weeks because of being busy and really lousy weather. What the key is for me so far is eating better AND less. Portion sizes have been cut way down, which has helped me. It will be interesting to see what happens once I start biking more again, I know muscle weighs more than fat, but my legs are already pretty toned so I don't see that being much of an issue. I just need to scale back on the after ride eats and I should be fine. Oh and I have scaled back on the beer quite a bit too.

Here is after 3 weeks...goal is 180 after 10 weeks..I dont see any problems reaching that..

Weigh in 2/12 194lbs
    2/19 192lbs
    2/26 189lbs
    3/5 187lbs

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by beernuts
    Don't just cut back on the beer, cut it out entirely if you can. Alcohol messes with your metabolism, and if you can hold off on the booze for 2 and a half months, you'll do better. You'll do even better if you only reintroduce it very gradually once you start back up again.
    I agree. I always drop 5-8lbs within 2 weeks when I hold off on the booze completely. I think it contribues to some bloat which comes off quick when you stop....unfortunately, I really like beer so I always come back to it.....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

In the rear with the beer
    We had a similar competition at my office last year. about 10 of us did it....about half really lost a lot and have kept it off since. I wasn't as successful and am actually having better success with wweight watchers online this year....but that is probably for a number of other reasons this year, more than the diet itself. The work competition really helped keep us all accountable...and we helped keep each other away from those office snacks, bagels, donuts, catered lunches, etc.
    Good luck!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

willtsmith_nwi
    I'm embarrassed to admit it. But I road cycling seems more effective for weight loss.

I'm not saying give up the dirt. But you get more cardio-vascular for less recovery time when you ride in a "non-technical" way. It also helps that the "trailhead" for road riding typically starts at the end of the driveway.

I've put in about 800 miles since the beginning of the year. Probably about 1300 miles over the winter total. I'm down 25#. I'm primed to play in the dirt once the rains subside.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Start: 194
    Final: 182

10 weeks

So I ended up winning the competition at work! I started off with a flurry, 8lbs lost in 4 weeks. After that I leveled off and lost 4 more lbs the last 6 weeks. I missed my goal of 180 by a couple pounds, but I know I will get there very soon. I kinda slacked towards the last half of the "competition". Getting motivated now though since I just signed up for a couple races this summer!

mtbr member
    Well done Shwaa! Definitely keep up the diet/exercise to ensure that it becomes a lifestyle change and not something that you just did for 10 weeks in 2009.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Good job, brother. Now, if you can incorporate what you did for this contest as a lifestyle change- you will no longer be considered a clyde!