Double-metric mtb man

Wanted: honest, non-flame opinions...

Hi gang,

I'm a 6', 245 lb (say 260 w/ gear) rider looking at starting my first build in the not too distant future.

I'm riding a Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX right now, and am looking at going more AM / light FR.

The frames I am considering are:

SC Nomad
    Intense 6.6
    Rocky Mountain Slayer (likely SXC)

Anyone have any positive / negative feedback regarding the suspension styles and how these frames handle a Clyde going fairly aggressive (up to 6' of air, hard climbing, some urban stuff like stairs)? I don't want a flame war over suspension styles, but rather what to expect going to a VPP or faux-bar over my "pure" single pivot. I'd also like any feedback from fellow Clydes as to how these frames have stood up to the test of our manly-man size.

Thanks
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

ups and downs
    It's worth including a Giant Reign in there as well. Mass market though it may be, it does pedal well and it's a fairly durable frame.

You'd be in the original Slayer territory for the kind of riding you're describing, the SXC would be a bit light duty. You'd also want to look at having the Slayer's RP23 shock changed out to a standard volume air sleeve instead of the large volume air sleeve. 220+ guys have been using up the travel fairly quickly, the standard volume air sleeve helps ramp up the spring rate at the end of the travel.

Baba Booey!
    Mike
    I don't have any experience with VPP, but I weigh about 10 lbs less than you, and built up a Heckler and finally got it set up the way I like this season. I went with the heckler over the VPP nomad because of the simplicity. With a good shock like the DHX on the back, you really don't notice any bob when climbing. I am still blown away at how stiff this bike is, a real solid platform. I would say look into the Bullit if you are doing drops and what not, I've heard that they climb well too... I also recomend the Fox 36 TALAS rc2. I cannot say enough good things about this fork,it is so adjustable and frickin SOLID. Anyway, if you still want to go with the VPP, I would personally have no qualms with pullling the trigger on either the nomad or the 6.6 both are sweet....

Double-metric mtb man
    I'd considered the Heckler, but wasn't sure it would be different enough from my Cake....maybe I'll put it back on the list.

The 6.6 gives me a bit more pause as its leverage ratio is higher...I'd likely have to go DHX regardless...though that's why I was thinking of the SXC (over the regular slayer) as running the piggy-back is an option.

I'm pretty set that if I'm going 160mm, I'll likely go Talas if I go air. If I go coil, well, then I'm undecided. Fox has said that air is the better way for bigger guys to go as they don't offer the bigger coils across their entire range. I've had no problems with the air suspension I'm using to date, but I am noticing that I can be hard on the shock...

Keep the opinions/feedback coming...it helps a lot
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Members who have read this thread: 0