mtbr member
    May 2011

Want to start jumpin ?'s need help

I built a bike and need help trying to figure out what I want to change or just build a new bike to do what I want. This is what I built and I built it on the merit of comfort first then speed and now I want to jump. I bought a Trek 4300 22.5 inch hhard tail and changed the wheels to Sun 29 inch MTX 33's with Shimano axles and 8 inch bb7's. I love the bike but am scared to jump it. Here is the type of riding I like to do. I like to blast at high speed on the road and jump curbs as well as take short cuts threw the grass and woods as well as jump stairs that come up but that is where I have a problem. I need to be able to jump stairs at high speed that are 3 to 4 feet drop off. I am used to jumpin because I rode Moto x bikes for 25 years. What kind of axles,frame, forks, wheels excedra do I need for someone 300 pounds.

Here is where I am at.I am 6 foot 4 and real long legged and like to use my weight to mash so I have the seat way up in order to mash good but this creates a problem when I want to jump because I have a wide seat that I cannot lean back on in order to setup for a jump. The bike is real tall and I am afraid of endowing going down stairs and jumping them. The current frame is so comfortable but may have limitaions for what I want so any help would be great. Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm curious to see how you fit 29" wheels in your 4300 frame and fork...

I <3 dirt
    What just happened here?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 29s only required light mods to make fit, I want a high speed urban bike I can jump so were should I start? This bike is almost as fast as a road bike but way more comfortable and now if I can get a bike to jump in this configuration I am in heaven.. thanks for any help and I love my new hobby.

I <3 dirt
    Lower your seat and pull up.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

native.
    Mar 2010
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    lowering the seat will help but then I lose mash power,I am afraid of the wimpy fprks and axles. I wish I was not to lazy to post pictures. Any help on a fast jumpin 29er frame for a cow would be great and good component recommendation. I love my wheels brakes and frame for ride and comfort!.

I <3 dirt
    I don't know what that means but I'd rather lose that then my ballsack and it's contents.

Jump as is. When something breaks replace it.....
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ballsack what ballsack? I lost that years ago, I was married to Lorena and I am Mr. Bobbit. Does anybody make a high quality banana seat so I can set it up like a Cr 500 moto x motorcycle? Being able to slide around on the seat has good advantages,and yes I am that big of a goof!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    I don't know what that means but I'd rather lose that then my ballsack and it's contents.

Jump as is. When something breaks replace it.....
    I ride straight up and use my weight to mash!

I <3 dirt
    Oh got it. TROLL
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    No I am trying to make my bike work for high speed x country but good to jump, There used to be a motorcycle series called the Super bikers years ago where the racers would get on a wicked up 2 smoke 500 and run asphalt and dirt at the same time with jumps kinda like super moto only faster. I want a bicycle in kind of the same design mode.I ride at like 15 to 25 MPH all the time for the most part but I cut my own path and trail some times and run into drop offs and jumps that I am scared to make because I do not trust my bike and it messes my attack ride up.

Alot of the bicycle guy's probably do not realize how slow this is,I love it but it is slow motion compared to 25 years of holding on to a race gas only CR 500 that did'nt know I was on it. Being able to attack any hill,blitz whoops at 60 miles an hour and just chew up mile after mile of terrain like nothing. I want a bike I can jump at 20 to 30 miles an hour because I hit the same stuff at 40 or 50 on a motorcycle!
    Last edited by Realslowww; 09-14-2011 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am serious about this and am making progress,I went down today and bought a much narrower seat so I can get back to jump better. I go to all the bike shops in town and try and pin down what I should buy and everbody has a different opinion. This is not easy, in motorcycles the selection is alot easier and I still made my own but with a bicycle you are the motor so fit and pedal position for your build is crucial. I am so spoiled with the motorcycle seats I was thinking maybe a banana style for a bike to slide and help support my weight?

Being real long legged on my CR 500's I could slide all the way to the back fender and really control things in the regard of keeping the chasses in order at high speed and with good support for my body but on a MTB the standard seats do not give that option at all. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

One thing is for sure I need a major fork update, I just do not want to get hurt because of bike failure due to much asked out of it.