save the planet!

a virgin clydesdale...

I am a complete n00b to mtb as I have only ridden Ross bikes in my day. I really have was not sure where to start so i spoke to some rider frieneds and they gave me some things to look for and I have narrowed down to this list. Suggestions and comments are more than welcome!! I cant wait to get started, I am feeling the itch.

Here are the choices. In order of price lowest > highest.

Gary Fisher Tassajara 2006 $719

Trek 6500 $769

*Ibex Trophy Comp $799 **This item I have been informed is OOS until the '07's come in in October. **

Jamis Durango 3.0 $825

Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc 2006 $899

Kona Hoss $899

$899 was a lil' higher than I wanted to go so i was wondering if there is anything comparable for a little bit less.

Things to consider.
    - This is my first REAL Mtb I have only ridden Ross in the past.
    - I am 6'3" - 245 (Aiming to get back to 225)
    - I have no idea what style riding i will get into.

I would appreciate any recommendations!!
    btw, JimC recommeded I post this amongst my peers... its good to know there are others like me out there!
    Last edited by beatmix01; 06-15-2006 at 10:47 AM.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    Hey Beatmix...welcome!

the most imprtant factors to consider in my opinion are fit (comfort) amd durability. These bikes are all in the same ballpark, so will have similar specs in terms of components. erego, they will be similar in durability. All of them are fine although you will find a lot of support herein from Clydes for the Kona..just seems beefier.

the best thing to do is to ride them all and determine which feels best. Apart from that, arm yourself with some basic knowledge:

> look for travel length on the forks...more= better
    > learn progression of component groups: Deore=entry level sport; LX =sport better; XT=even better; XTR= top of shimano line. Stay away from Alivio. Just won't hold up to guys like us!

You are wise not to pigeon hole your choice to a specific style of riding.A decent hardtail (like any of these) will allow you to take on beginners to semi advanced trail riding. You'll also develop good bike handling skills on a hardtail

just b e careful: you might get hooked for life on MTB!!!

good luck...keep us posted on your progress

big bob

save the planet!
    regarding GF's genesis, is that geometry a better fit for the clyes, or is it really just a matter of feel?

long standing member
    Welcome. This forum is a good place for peer-specific advice.

Quote Originally Posted by beatmix01
    Kona Hoss $899

$899 was a lil' higher than I wanted to go so i was wondering if there is anything comparable for a little bit less.
    No. IMO, there isn't a comparable MTB for a clyde for less, or even the same price. When I was looking at the end of last summer I had a similar list. I was looking at bikes in the $500-650 range, figuring that was the minimum price at which one could get a true off-road MTB. Then I learned about the Hoss. And I realized that the Hoss was exactly what I needed. And it was absolutely worth the extra money.

Patrick

Freshly Fujified

Listen to Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    No. IMO, there isn't a comparable MTB for a clyde for less, or even the same price. When I was looking at the end of last summer I had a similar list. I was looking at bikes in the $500-650 range, figuring that was the minimum price at which one could get a true off-road MTB. Then I learned about the Hoss. And I realized that the Hoss was exactly what I needed. And it was absolutely worth the extra money.

Patrick
    Patrick is dead on in saying that as a clyde you will be spending more money on a bike suitable for your weight. In addition to the Hoss, consider the Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. Here is a link:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Some things to consider:

Frame strength: Make sure the frame is butted, has gussets, or is otherwise reinforced at high stress points.

Forks: The most expensive single component on the bike is probably the fork. For larger riders, it is absolutely key that you buy a bike with a fork made for a big guy. The stanchions (the "tubes" on the fork) need to be of a larger diameter-ideally 32 mm. Some bikes come with forks with stanchions as small as 28mm. Not good for us big folks. Lastly, a dual coil for would be best at your weight. Second choice would be one side coil, one side air. Third choice would be both sides air. If you go with a fork that is both sides air, it better be a damned good one.

Disc brakes-A must have for heavier guys, IMO.

Both the Hoss and Rockhopper Comp Disc are pretty good rigs for a clyde. I like the Rockhopper because the fork is dual coil, whereas the Hoss fork is coil and elastomers. Not as desirable, IMO. Both bikes have disc brakes, with the Hoss having hydraulic barkes and the Rockhopper having mechanical discs (very good mechanical discs at that). Both drivetrains have their pluses and minuses, so I'll say for sake of argument they are pretty well equal.

Bottom line, at $900 you have two very nice choices. Spending any less will probably result in a realization that you should have spent the money in the first place, because you're going to do one of 3 things: 1) Find the limitations of certain components; 2) Wear something out quickly and replace it; or 3) Break something.

Best wishes in finding the right bike for you.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Your bike is incorrigible

just what I was going to say

I second the Rockhopper as another option. The Hoss is good, and it would be a good frame to build on as parts wear out. I was just reading about the Marin Northside Trail, and it looks like a third option--probably a tougher frame even than the Hoss!

So, get yourself down to the bike shop that carries Specialized, Kona and Marin. Try out all three and see which one fits the best. At the end of the day, fit is key. You aren't going to ride a bike that doesn't fit well.

Here is the link to Marin:
    http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2...ide_trail.html

save the planet!
    oh how did i miss the rockhopper!!! from looking at the specs i think i like it better than the Hoss and it is a little bit cheaper... well inexpensive. I think I will be heading down to my LBS the second I leave work today and check them out. Woot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It's all good

Any of the bikes should be fine. I agree with the go with comfort and fit over name and price. Also, be prepared to purchase heavier springs for your fork... some dealers MAY trade adn throw them in when you buy...

My first "real" bike was a hardtail back in the 90's. It was pretty low end components. I was lucky and got a pretty good fit. Anyway, I rode it for a couple years, had a great time and got much better - then the bike didn't fit so well. As I got better I wanted a longer cockpit. Then I started bbuying more expensive bikes because I knew what I liked.

Anyway, buy one that feels right, ride, and get the dream bike when you know what you want from a bike!

Have fun! Good luck!
    my $0.02
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous
    Any of the bikes should be fine. I agree with the go with comfort and fit over name and price. Also, be prepared to purchase heavier springs for your fork... some dealers MAY trade adn throw them in when you buy...
    Oh, that is so true! I forgot about springs. You'll absolutely have to swap them for heavier ones, since all the stock springs are for someone 150lbs. I have no idea why the manufacturers think that everyone who rides is a lightweight.

Springs are something you must ask about at the shop. I doubt they will swap them for free. But if you are buying a new bike and a new spring, then they should at least install the thing for free!

save the planet!
    Well I just got back from two of my LBS's and i tried out a few- and here I am the proud owner of a new KONA HOSS!!!!

So the thing will be ordered tomorrow and I should hopefully have it by next Friday! Best part is I got a sweet deal on it! Paid $830!

Freshly Fujified

Excellent choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by beatmix01
    Well I just got back from two of my LBS's and i tried out a few- and here I am the proud owner of a new KONA HOSS!!!!

So the thing will be ordered tomorrow and I should hopefully have it by next Friday! Best part is I got a sweet deal on it! Paid $830!
    Glad to see you found a bike you like and that you took the advice regarding bikes for bigger riders. The only bad part is that you're not gonna get a minute's sleep until you get the call from your LBS saying that the bike is in .

Let us know how you like it and give us some pics and a ride report.

Enjoy!

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Congrats.

I second the pics and ride report request when you get your new pimpin' ride!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

There's no app for this.

What Clyde said and

regardless of which bike (they're all good bikes), enjoy the ride, the smile, and the fun! good luck, keep us posted, Jim
    Last edited by JimC.; 06-16-2006 at 08:22 AM.

save the planet!
    Wait, wait- your supposed to RIDE the bike. Damn. I had planned on just mounting it to my car and keeping it just so people think I actually ride.... for the coolness factor....
    haha

mtbr member
    Get the Hoss and be done with it until you decide you really like MTBing and a particular type of riding.

6'3", 245# is not remarkable in these parts. You're almost skinny.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Glad to Be Alive
    first bike................buy used.......see if you really like riding before you break the bank......

also buys you time.....you can start riding other bikes and see what you really want

that is what you should really do
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days