mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Views on Gary Fisher Piranha

I currently have a Trek 800 no suspension bike, that ive been riding, and im ready to move up. I havent been looking through any bike stores yet, but ive been looking online at the Trek Dealers near me, and they have a Gary Fisher Piranha that im interested in.

Im 6' 4" , 320 lbs. Will i destroy this bike or would it be good? I usualy ride on fire roads, and trails that are rocky, and i like to go fast

Thoughts?

http://treksandiego.com/product/gary...ha-39082-1.htm

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    I think the Marlin Disc is a better value over the Piranha to be honest. I just got a new bike and tested the Fisher offerings throughly, I chose against the Fishers for a few reasons, firstly being the geometry. I felt way to stretched out and as a result it caused me some back pain. I also didnt feel all of the compoents of the bikes worked as well together as other brands.

In the end I chose a 2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc and I think it is defiantly a great buy. Believe me I wanted the Fisher, I tried all of the Fishers, change stems, seats, etc. In the end, I just didn't think the bike was as well put together and the Specialized just felt better.

Id defiantly ride the G@ geometry alot before you buy, maybe ask LBS if they have one to rent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    When I look at the specs for the Piranha it certain looks like a very nice set up, SRAM X5 deraileurs F and R with RockShox Tora Coil forks and Shimano hydraulic brakes. My biggest concern would be the rims and tires but I'm riding a Trek Valencia at present and their carrying my 300lbs okay so I would think the Piranha's would be fine.
    I'm looking at either a Piranha or Kona Cinder Core myself and think both match up very well. It's just going to be which one fits me best.

mtbr member
    I just picked one up yesterday so I can't comment on it's long term durability yet. I'm 6' 6" 315lbs so it will have it's work cut out for it. I will mostly be riding on gravel paths and some easy trails until I lose some weight and get the confidence to ride harder. I'll let you know if anything fails...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sweet thanks for the comments